• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2458 replies to this topic

#2201 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

Don Fehr introducing a luxury tax would make him a god amongst players and fans, to me it'd be well worth it!

LT is so much better than the stupid cap. In the end the NHL might not even have a choice if they continue to throw the PA under the bus, they are going to decertify or pursh hard for a luxury tax.

It seems like a luxury tax could be the best way to address the disparity between markets, which is a fundamental problem to this league structure due to expansion. A team in Nashville will never pull in as much money as the Leafs. At least that way a successful franchise can decide to go over the cap and share revenue, rather than it being forced upon them.

It also rewards successful owners like Ilitch for running a succesful franchise.

I don't know all the ins and outs of how it would work, but it seems like it makes way too much sense for the NHL to ever use it. Instead their plan is apparently to reduce player costs until even the most inept owner or team in a terrible hockey market can turn a profit.

#2202 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

A fan protest video retweeted by McKenzie. It's a pretty simple plan and message to the NHL about fans boycotting games.

#2203 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

Just came in to post this - good job, harold. The NHLFA has been oddly silent throughout this. Nice to know fans are organizing.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#2204 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

i think a luxury tax could be good in the long run, but i'm not sure the nhl could ever recover from the short term damage it would cause. if fehr tried to push for luxury tax, i could see this thing being dragged on for another whole season.

i think the owners have too much personal hate for fehr for them to cave in and accept a luxury tax. they haven't even been willing to budge an inch on contract term length. i doubt they budge on a complete overhaul of the system

Edited by chances14, 09 December 2012 - 02:22 PM.

#2205 King Crane

King Crane

3rd Line Checker

• Silver Booster
  • 387 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

A fan protest video retweeted by McKenzie. It's a pretty simple plan and message to the NHL about fans boycotting games.

There have been a lot of videos about similar protests (some going back to when the lockout was a mere threat). While I am in complete support of the idea, I do not think it will make much of a difference. Regardless of the campaigns, revenue is going to take a hit next year (just as it does after every lockout). The problem stems from the fact that the current leaders of the NHL and NHLPA are much too worried about their own bottom line than the growth of the sport. The administration needs a change, and I'm afraid that monetary losses will hurt the sport and fail to solve this problem. Don't get me wrong, I'm participating just in case it does work, but do not confuse the "league's" selfishness with the selfishness of the few at the top.

"I'll smile in June" - Jimmy Howard 

#2206 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

The only protest that will be effective and get the owners attention is empty seats...and lots of them, in the arenas.

#2207 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

There have been a lot of videos about similar protests (some going back to when the lockout was a mere threat). While I am in complete support of the idea, I do not think it will make much of a difference. Regardless of the campaigns, revenue is going to take a hit next year (just as it does after every lockout). The problem stems from the fact that the current leaders of the NHL and NHLPA are much too worried about their own bottom line than the growth of the sport. The administration needs a change, and I'm afraid that monetary losses will hurt the sport and fail to solve this problem. Don't get me wrong, I'm participating just in case it does work, but do not confuse the "league's" selfishness with the selfishness of the few at the top.

After the last lockout we came back in record numbers and broke revenue records.
Let's break some records this time as well.
Biggest revenue decline and they won't lock us out when the new CBA expires.
In fact most of us know what the problem is and so does he. We miss hockey and love it too much to stay away. I love it too much to come back (I'll watch on streams and t.v. but they won't get a cent of my money until he is fired) until he is fired. IF more of us loved it as much, he will be eradicated.
Boycott spending money on the NHL until they have no choice but to fire him. Even not considering the lockouts, he is the worst thing to ever happen to the sport of hockey
We are eventually going to do this. Is it now or when the new CBA expires?
We have to make sacrifices for greater gains.

Edited by Johnz96, 09 December 2012 - 07:31 PM.

#2208 stevieisthebest

stevieisthebest

The Captain

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

After the last lockout we came back in record numbers and broke revenue records.
Let's break some records this time as well.
Biggest revenue decline and they won't lock us out when the new CBA expires.
In fact most of us know what the problem is and so does he. We miss hockey and love it too much to stay away. I love it too much to come back (I'll watch on streams and t.v. but they won't get a cent of my money until he is fired) until he is fired. IF more of us loved it as much, he will be eradicated.
Boycott spending money on the NHL until they have no choice but to fire him. Even not considering the lockouts, he is the worst thing to ever happen to the sport of hockey
We are eventually going to do this. Is it now or when the new CBA expires?
We have to make sacrifices for greater gains.

The players and owners have done enough to destroy the league, I hate the idea of fans killing the league and the teams we love. The empty seats protest is pointless, and will never work. We don't need to support Bettman, his track record will get him fired, but we do need to support the Red Wings.
"15,395 Days since they won the cup...3 seconds left, THE DETROiT RED WINGS ARE THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!"

"Lemiuex was hammered by Darren McCarty, and he is being helped into the locker room."

Thanks Steve! #19
Thanks Nick! #5

#2209 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

The players and owners have done enough to destroy the league, I hate the idea of fans killing the league and the teams we love. The empty seats protest is pointless, and will never work. We don't need to support Bettman, his track record will get him fired, but we do need to support the Red Wings.

His track record should have had him fired a long time ago. Even if you don't consider the lockouts he is the worst thing to ever happen to the sport of hockey. The fans (customers source of HRR) have been screaming and booing to have him fired for almost 2 decades now.
He won't be fired unless we do something about it. We can do something about it now or will we finally have enough of it after the next CBA expire and we are locked out again or are a bunch of us going to blame whoever is the head of thre NHLPA then?
If you HAVE to go to games please bring anti Bettman/Lockouts signs chant and chant anti Bettman chants and don't buy NHL merchandise.
Do it for the love of hockey and all of us who love it.
NOMORELOCKOUTS
NOBETTMAN!

#2210 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

Paula Geraci

Twas' the night before Christmas
and all through the house (MSG)
Not a player was playing
'Cause Bettman's a louse
A Lockout has taken our games all away

Despair had run rampant with each passing day
The fans had grown weary, hoping Lockout would end,
We asked for no Jerseys for Santa to send.
Meetings were useless, giving false hope.
The Media played us, as we all tried to cope.
Arenas were dark, workers hung to dry, businesses local, owners now cry.
No Winter Classic, a tradition for me,
To share with my friends a beer or three.
Players defected to teams far away,
While fans dreamed of an end, so Our Teams could play.
So Santa was cross, Hockey fan himself,
Turned Bettman into a creepy, Elf on a Shelf.
Now, Bettman, now, Jacobs and the rest full of greed,
Beware of the Naughty List, Santa's wrath you should heed,
Bring back our Hockey, end Lockout, end fight..
Merry Christmas to all,
and to all a Good Night!
~Paula~

Edited by Johnz96, 09 December 2012 - 09:31 PM.

#2211 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

CBC lockout poll
http://www.cbc.ca/sp...hl-lockout.html

#2212 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

Don Fehr introducing a luxury tax would make him a god amongst players and fans, to me it'd be well worth it!

LT is so much better than the stupid cap. In the end the NHL might not even have a choice if they continue to throw the PA under the bus, they are going to decertify or pursh hard for a luxury tax.

If we are going to lose another season, then we may as well get that damn luxury tax then.

The only protest that will be effective and get the owners attention is empty seats...and lots of them, in the arenas.

QFT

I was spending about $1000-$2000 on NHL tickets, NHL Center Ice Subscriptions, and merchandise every year. I already promised I am taking the next 3-5 years off from seeing games in person or buying merchandise. The NHL makes a vast majority of its money through gate receipts. The corporate ticket buyers will renew their tickets and buy the suites. Let them spend their money. The NHL and the players aren't worth my financial commitment.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#2213 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

Let's look at a not-too hypothetical situation:
Pretend that the NHLPA caves in and agrees to a new CBA now, based solely on the last offer "taken off the table" (Uncle Gary = bully) with nothing else negotiated.
The figure that I have seen bandied about that is in contention is one hundred million dollars.
If an agreement was reached, where would that untouched money go?
Do you think the League would lower the price of tickets?
Do you think the League would lower the cost of signing up to NHL Network?
Do you think the League would lower the price of the "Reebok Detroit Red Wings Infant Faux Layer Jersey & Pant Set" ($31.99...yikes!)?
Do you think the League would hand every fan a ten-dollar voucher the next time they visit a game this decade?

Just like Uncle Gary would say, the answers to the above: No, no, no, no.
I smell quite bonus from the owners coming from this untouched money.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#2214 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

Pretend that the NHLPA caves in and agrees to a new CBA now, based solely on the last offer "taken off the table" (Uncle Gary = bully) with nothing else negotiated.
The figure that I have seen bandied about that is in contention is one hundred million dollars.
Do you think the League would lower the price of the "Reebok Detroit Red Wings Infant Faux Layer Jersey & Pant Set" ($31.99...yikes!)?
Do you think the League would hand every fan a ten-dollar voucher the next time they visit a game this decade?

You are correct. As with any pro sport, the ticket prices just keep going up. Fans who want to go to the games are spending disposable income to attend. This isn't like going to a Griffins game and spending $10-$16. This is going to the Joe and spending 3x-5x that figure depending on where you want to sit. The league isn't going to lower the prices unless people don't go to the games. Attending a Florida Panthers game is roughly half the price of going to a Red Wings game for equivalent seats.

My disposable income is going elsewhere for the next 3 years.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#2215 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

Boy, it sure is easy to tell other people what to do with their money, since it's not yours.

If the owners agreed to the player's side of 100 million dollars, would any of what you just mentioned happen? Not on your life.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#2216 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

I wasn't aware that the league set ticket prices or told Reebok how to charge for their merch. Damn. They do have a lot of power.

Edited by kipwinger, 10 December 2012 - 09:38 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#2217 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

I will eagerly watch every game when they are back on TV and go to just as many games as I did before. Nobody needs to be punished here... your only punishing yourself if you take the position. The need for a CBA deprives you of NHL hockey, and you punish whomever you hold responsible by depriving yourself of... even more NHL hockey? Hmmmmm

Edited by RedWingsDad, 10 December 2012 - 10:05 AM.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#2218 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

I wasn't aware that the league set ticket prices or told Reebok how to charge for their merch. Damn. They do have a lot of power.

Not the league. "Uncle Gary" does all that. Duh! :D

I will eagerly watch every game when they are back on TV and go to just as many games as I did before. Nobody needs to be punished here... your only punishing yourself if you take the position. The need for a CBA deprives you of NHL hockey, and you punish whomever you hold responsible by depriving yourself of... even more NHL hockey? Hmmmmm

I disagree. By watching them on TV, I will still enjoy NHL hockey. Not going to games will be a small sacrifice, but one the league and players will feel in the end. Depriving would be me not watching them on TV. I am a hockey nut, and a clean break won't happen.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#2219 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,863 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

Just came in to post this - good job, harold. The NHLFA has been oddly silent throughout this. Nice to know fans are organizing.

I prefer the NHL-FU

...fans' union, of course.

#2220 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

Not the league. "Uncle Gary" does all that. Duh! :D

I disagree. By watching them on TV, I will still enjoy NHL hockey. Not going to games will be a small sacrifice, but one the league and players will feel in the end. Depriving would be me not watching them on TV. I am a hockey nut, and a clean break won't happen.

I guess, but don't you enjoy going to the games?... and in the end isn't that the whole point of hockey, to give us enjoyment?
Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.