• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

uk_redwing

[Retired] Official Lockout Thread

Rate this topic

But they do have interest in playing hockey. Just today Datsyuk had two assists and Malkin scored a goal and added two assists.

Players just do want to play in NHL given the conditions owners are demanding.

They do have interest in playing hockey, otherwise they'd just be sitting at home and counting their tons of super cars. These guys are going to europe in order to play the sport they love endlessly. So yes I gladly sign with them instead with some billionaires who can't control themselves and an overpaid midget.

As happy as I am that the two sides are meeting tomorrow, I'm not sure how it's gonna work if they don't discuss core economic issues. These secondary issues seem like bargaining chips used to lessen the blow of conceding some major issue. But they're just going to ignore the massive divide on the main problem?

I guess if they make concessions on smaller stuff maybe the goodwill will start something? I want to be optimistic but really just don't get it.

I'm not overly optimistic, but if you wanted to get some optimism out of it, this could be a way of looking at it:

- they are talking......which is better than not talking

- potential (I use that word as it could go the other way too) to build momentum and goodwill

- if they agree in principal to several smaller issues, it may be easier to negotiate economics and make concessions if they then tweak something they agreed on other issues. Without agreeing on other issues, its tough to consider where there might be give and take.

Edited by toby91_ca

Well at least they agreed to resume talks MUCH sooner than they did last time. That shows at least a little willingness on both sides.

At this point, I'm just anticipating going to as many AHL games as I can. The Griffs will be here 11/2 and the Barons 11/4...they are going to kick our ass. They destroyed us in the playoffs last year without Hall, Eberle, RNH, Schultz.

The NHL cancelled the remainder of the preseason schedule today.

http://www.mlive.com...r_of_prese.html

The NHL today canceled the remainder of the preseason schedule, which includes the final four Detroit Red Wings exhibition games, due to the lockout.

Scrapped were Detroit's home games against Pittsburgh (Oct. 3) and Toronto (Oct. 5) and road games vs. Toronto (Oct. 6) and Washington (Oct. 7).

The league last week canceled all September preseason games.

One note on the negotiations: The two sides meeting with each other is much less important than the internal meetings of each side. Neither Fehr nor Bettman have the autonomy to decide on a compromise themselves. They probably have a certain amount of latitude but not likely so much that you could lock them in a room and guarantee an agreement. They're talking about huge sums of money, and even a small concession like 1/2% will mean around $100 million difference.

Meetings between the sides are likely just an exchange of proposals and a discussion of the rationale behind them. The real negotiations are when Fehr and Bettman take the proposals back to their respective constituency.

Imagine how poor the NHL is gonna be in non-hockey markets when their already small fanbase becomes essentially non existant.

This, this, this.

"Uncle Gary" lives for two things: cultivating patronage in hard-sell markets (e.g. Glendale), and lockouts. You know what lockouts are super-good for? Losing patronage in hard-sell markets.

This, this, this.

"Uncle Gary" lives for two things: cultivating patronage in hard-sell markets (e.g. Glendale), and lockouts. You know what lockouts are super-good for? Losing patronage in hard-sell markets.

So funny the guy is fighting for failed markets and yet does everything to destroy whatever fanbase they have *lol*

His hard to sell markets are going to get hit real hard by this lockout. Maybe his next “brilliant“ idea will bre fanbase sharing book it.

At this point I have locked out the stupid NLL having a great time watching other good leagues.

Sent from my BlackBerry

Funny how nowhere in the stupid American sports media (espn) is this lockout even being remotely covered.

Maybe the NHL network should cover it a little, instead of mindlessly replaying last year's playoff games over and over, like they've been doing the last few years.

Not true at all Illitch, Anschutz, Molson Dolan and Snider aren't exactly supporters of him.

Sent from my BlackBerry

Being as that all owners voted unanimously to lock the players out, I really don't know what to believe. The rich franchises have benefited the most in the last six years. So why would those owners vote to lock the players out if they have done so well? Teams like Detroit and Toronto are seeing good profits. Why vote to lock the players out then? It really makes no sense unless Gary was lying when he said the vote was unanimously.

I'm not overly optimistic, but if you wanted to get some optimism out of it, this could be a way of looking at it:

- they are talking......which is better than not talking

- potential (I use that word as it could go the other way too) to build momentum and goodwill

- if they agree in principal to several smaller issues, it may be easier to negotiate economics and make concessions if they then tweak something they agreed on other issues. Without agreeing on other issues, its tough to consider where there might be give and take.

This!

Any talk is better than no talk at this point. I am not optimistic either, but at least its a step in the right direction.

Being as that all owners voted unanimously to lock the players out, I really don't know what to believe. The rich franchises have benefited the most in the last six years. So why would those owners vote to lock the players out if they have done so well? Teams like Detroit and Toronto are seeing good profits. Why vote to lock the players out then?...

A big enough concession from the players would result in the owners making more money, even when factoring in the cost of the lockout. Obviously, the owners are confident they will get that concession.

Being as that all owners voted unanimously to lock the players out, I really don't know what to believe. The rich franchises have benefited the most in the last six years. So why would those owners vote to lock the players out if they have done so well? Teams like Detroit and Toronto are seeing good profits. Why vote to lock the players out then? It really makes no sense unless Gary was lying when he said the vote was unanimously.

This!

Any talk is better than no talk at this point. I am not optimistic either, but at least its a step in the right direction.

That's what they want you to believe. I, for one, don't believe for one minute it was "unanimous".

Edited by Hockeymom1960

That's what they want you to believe. I, for one, don't believe for one minute it was "unanimous".

What's the point in saying something is unanimous if it wasn't. To show tha the owner's are united and will hold strong? Well, if there are some owners that don't agree, why would they agree to pretent they do?

What's the point in saying something is unanimous if it wasn't. To show tha the owner's are united and will hold strong? Well, if there are some owners that don't agree, why would they agree to pretent they do?

The point is that we are taking Gary's word in that they are unified. Just as when Fehr says the players are unified, you know there are some that are against what is going on. With hundreds of players, there are some people who won't stand for it. I can only imagine that 4-5 owners are going to probably be against the lockout. Illitch would be one of them.

From Toronto Star:

Neither side will say they’re coming armed with a new proposal and the prospects of a new deal by Sunday are grim.

The popular thinking — as framed by the NHL — is that it is up to the players to come with a new proposal. The league made the last proposal, one that would see the players’ share of hockey related revenue drop to 47 per cent over six years. The owners want rollbacks of some sort, about 17.5 per cent in pay, in the first year of a new agreement.

The players currently get 57 per cent of hockey related revenue, which amounted to $1.87 billion last season.

A source on the players’ side said concessions are the theme of their proposals (every proposal so far has included concessions by the players) and they’re still waiting to see if the NHL makes an offer with concessions included.

If talks end badly by Sunday, some players surmise that an exodus to Europe will follow. About 60 NHLers are already over there, but the number could quickly reach into the hundreds.

I sure hope this part isn't accurate:

The owners want rollbacks of some sort, about 17.5 per cent in pay, in the first year of a new agreement.

If the owners really want the players to give that up in the first year, I think we're in for a long lockout.

Though at least now it's being called what it is, another salary rollback.

I dont think the players are bluffing this time around and Buttmen wont budge either. The Owners want money and until checkbooks are hit hard I dont see either side giving up an inch. I think we will see a long lockout, mabye 2 seasons. Players can go to Europe and make money so the pressing need of ending the lockout will only hurt 3-4 liners, prospects, and us as fans. (aside from economics)