• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

uk_redwing

[Retired] Official Lockout Thread

Rate this topic

Time to start watching AHL games. Look at this...the Oilers's farm team just got Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle, Magnus Paajarvi, and Justin Schultz.....and Taylor Hall soon to follow when he gets off IR.

Go OKC Oilers? LOL

Kind of a shame that the Wings don't have any younger regulars.

Smith, Nyquist, and Brunner will be there. That will be pretty entertaining to watch them. I think the fact that Brunner will get some time on the North American size rink before the NHL should end up to be one postive out of all of this.

tumblr_mafbxay6vX1r4ij7m.gif

I hate everything right now. :ranting::furious:

Does anyone know of a good source to watch the Griffs games streaming online? Might as well get to know our prospects better while I'm being denied my Wing fix. As much as I would love to give a big middle finger to the entire league and pledge that they will never get another cent out of me, the reality is that I've bled this team since I was a kid, and I just can't imagine turning my back on that. It will certainly affect my decision to spend money on gear and things I don't need, but my ass will still be in the seats for whatever games I actually get this year. One of those hopefully being the Winter Classic. I can only hope that the public disgust at the behavior of both the league--and now, increasingly, the players--will put some pressure on them to come to an agreement before too much of the season (and fan loyalty) is destroyed. And I realize how naive that sounds as I literally laughed out loud at myself as I typed it. Whatever.

tumblr_m8kn90BChU1qcv7kk.gif

Short of "My dog ate my last copy of the CBA", Uncle Gary used every excuse he could think of.

The following message to fans was issued by the National Hockey League on Sunday:

Despite the expiration of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the National Hockey League has been, and remains, committed to negotiating around the clock to reach a new CBA that is fair to the Players and to the 30 NHL teams.

Thanks to the conditions fostered by seven seasons under the previous CBA, competitive balance has created arguably the most meaningful regular season in pro sports; a different team has won the Stanley Cup every year; fans and sponsors have agreed the game is at its best, and the League has generated remarkable growth and momentum. While our last CBA negotiation resulted in a seismic change in the League's economic system, and produced corresponding on-ice benefits, our current negotiation is focused on a fairer and more sustainable division of revenues with the Players -- as well as other necessary adjustments consistent with the objectives of the economic system we developed jointly with the NHL Players' Association seven years ago. Those adjustments are attainable through sensible, focused negotiation -- not through rhetoric.

This is a time of year for all attention to be focused on the ice, not on a meeting room. The League, the Clubs and the Players all have a stake in resolving our bargaining issues appropriately and getting the puck dropped as soon as possible. We owe it to each other, to the game and, most of all, to the fans.

"the National Hockey League has been, and remains, committed to negotiating around the clock to reach a new CBA"

BULLS***. If they were comitted to negotiating around the clock, then they would be, you know, NEGOTIATING AROUND THE CLOCK. There was absolutely NO urgency to any of the talks, or they would have been burning the midnight oil for months to avoid the current situation, not throwing around the word LOCKOUT with a month to go in negotiations. Good faith my lily white ass.

Excuse me while I go rage some more...

Gary Bettman is a disgusting person. I am 100% with the players. The owners and Bettman created this system entirely seven years ago to their liking and now it doesn't work? I can't express how disappointing and pathetic this entire situation is. Revenues and attendance through the roof (except in the lousy markets this fiasco surrounds) after missing an entire season and the fans reward is to get s*** on by a bunch of greedy billionaires.

I've said this before, but if I didn't love the Red Wings, I would run away from the NHL and never look back.

Edited by GoWings1905

"the National Hockey League has been, and remains, committed to negotiating around the clock to reach a new CBA"

BULLS***. If they were comitted to negotiating around the clock, then they would be, you know, NEGOTIATING AROUND THE CLOCK. There was absolutely NO urgency to any of the talks, or they would have been burning the midnight oil for months to avoid the current situation, not throwing around the word LOCKOUT with a month to go in negotiations. Good faith my lily white ass.

Excuse me while I go rage some more...

It's telling that the league would say that less than 24 hours after saying there was no point in meeting.

Smith, Nyquist, and Brunner will be there. That will be pretty entertaining to watch them. I think the fact that Brunner will get some time on the North American size rink before the NHL should end up to be one postive out of all of this.

Yeah, thats true...I am looking forward to Brunner play for GR. He will only benefit from it, instead of jumping right to the NHL.

It's rumored that NBCSN is working out a deal to air AHL games? Any truth to that?

Gary Bettman is a disgusting person. I am 100% with the players. The owners and Bettman created this system entirely seven years ago to their liking and now it doesn't work? I can't express how disappointing and pathetic this entire situation is. Revenues and attendance through the roof (except in the lousy markets this fiasco surrounds) after missing an entire season and the fans reward is to get s*** on by a bunch of greedy billionaires.

I've said this before, but if I didn't love the Red Wings, I would run away from the NHL and never look back.

That's the thing Bettman is counting on. That the fans love hockey more than they hate his guts.

That's the thing Bettman is counting on. That the fans love hockey more than they hate his guts.

Sad, but very true. Thing is though you may be able to pull that off once (which he did somehow wiping out an entire season), but I'm pretty sure that won't be the case again with an extended lockout. There are enough fragile hockey markets as it is, let alone infuriating the strong fan bases that keep getting asked to pay good money so billionaires can fight over revenue every seven years. Hockey, as a whole, doesn't have the massive following like the NFL or MLB to keep expecting a loyal following when it just feels like we're getting jerked around in the name of greed.

It's bad enough Bettman's answer is always a lockout, but to be arrogant enough to think hockey fans are just going to come back happily again when this all ends is absolutely pathetic. Throwing "Thank You Fans" on the ice and telling us ticket prices will be lower (which they never ended up being) won't appease people this time around.

bettman-meme-generator-complains-players-make-too-much-makes-more-than-any-player-3b07dd.jpg

Are you aware how much Don Fehr and his little brother were making?

Well above 2/3 of hockey players.

And his sole purpose of existence - to negotiate new CBA. He failed.

I very much dislike what Battman is doing, but from business perspective his done an OK job until yesterday, while Don Ferh is complete failure.

Edited by ami

BULLS***.

Yeah, its ridiculous, and pretty much just another insult to the fans. Especially since the players wanted to try to have one last sit down yesterday with the league, and flew out there and everything, just to be told by the league to piss off, and that the league would most definitely not be interested in anything they had to say unless it was the players giving in to all of their demands.

It's bad enough Bettman's answer is always a lockout, but to be arrogant enough to think hockey fans are just going to come back happily again when this all ends is absolutely pathetic.

Maybe it is actually us who are pathetic. I mean, he is right. The fans have come, not crawling, but enthusiastically running back every time. And will again after this lockout too.

I don't even need to think who I am siding with, it is so easy a monkey could make that decision. The players are the ones I am cheering for, the players are giving their heart & soul every minute for our Entertainment they want a fair deal, the midget and those greedy billionaires want a screw you deal.

If I am fair the first thing I'd make clear is to can the so called commissioner otherwhise there won't any negotiations for the time being.

Record revenues since 7 freaking years and yet here we go with a lockout again and the same bs in 7 years again, rince repat owners and midget can go jump of a bridge couldn't care less greedy a....h...s

Edited by frankgrimes

Are you aware how much Don Fehr and his little brother were making?

Well above 2/3 of hockey players.

And his sole purpose of existence - to negotiate new CBA. He failed.

I very much dislike what Battman is doing, but from business perspective his done an OK job until yesterday, while Don Ferh is complete failure.

Fehr's job is to keep the players from getting completely screwed over by the owners and get a fair deal.

I wouldn't say he's failed yet.

Per the NHL constitution Bettman's job is (emphasis mine):

The Commissioner shall serve as the Chief Executive Officer of the League and
is charged with protecting the integrity of the game of professional hockey and preserving public confidence in the League
. The Board of Governors shall determine the term of office and compensation of the Commissioner. The Commissioner shall be elected a majority of the Governors present and voting at a League meeting at which a quorum was present when it was convened.“
[1]

In Section 6.3, his duties are spelled out as having "responsibility for the general supervision and direction of all business and affairs of the League", co-ordinates matters between member clubs and serves as the principal public spokesman for the League. The Commissioner also has authority over dispute resolution, League committees, interpretation of League rules, appointment of League staff, NHL financial matters, contracting authority, scheduling, officials and disciplinary powers.

7 years ago the players agreed to a salary cap and a 24% rollback of their salaries. Since then revenue has increased by 50%. Bettman and the owners initial proposal for this CBA required the players to cut their salaries 11% and got rid of almost any contract conditions favorable to players. UFA status, rookie contracts, signing bonuses, arbitration.

As someone in the press said at the time, the NHL's offer wasn't a negotiation, it was a declaration of war on the players union.

Since then, the league has only taken baby steps away from that ridiculous initial proposal. All this when the league as a whole is profitable and poised to make other great leaps forward in the popularity of the game.

For the players union to respond in kind, their initial proposal should have been getting rid of the cap. Then their initial concessions could be allowing the cap, but they get 63% of revenue instead of 57%

Sucks that were going to lose hockey, again. But as a guy who lives in an AHL city I cannot wait to see the AHL action this season. The Ice Caps were quite good last season, and seeing teams like the Griffins, Oil Barons, Marlies, Astros and Norfolk on occasion will be fantastic hockey.

Fehr's job is to keep the players from getting completely screwed over by the owners and get a fair deal.

Last time I checked, even players who never played in the league have agents, lawers etc. to help them with contract negotiation. These are getting paid by players and I haven't heard a player who was forced to sign a contract.

Sometime, reading comments I picture these poor players as 5-year old kids who can barely read. But they are not!

And by the way, I don't think PA and Don Fehr has a say in any of those contract negotiations.

NHLPA is then a redundant organisation. Their bosses are not professional players, they are not running the league, they are not running a professional hockey clubs. Who are they? What they do? Protecting right, keeping players from getting screwed? Give me a one example of a right violated by club/leagu and a player suffering or give me a break.

I wouldn't say he's failed yet.

Agree. Not yet. We'll see. If season starts on time, I'll send him a post card with warm congrats.

Per the NHL constitution Bettman's job is (emphasis mine):

His success or failure is measured by revenue the league generates. This is a most important countable measure of "public confidence in the League". And you are absolutely right, the league revenue has increased by 50% in 7 years.

However, increased revenue does not necceserally means increase in profit. And running a business, a professional hockey club, aims generating a profit. And I supposed you know that half of the league's teams are loosing money...

Edited by ami

@Proteautype: THIS JUST IN: A fleet of New York City firemen have been dispatched to fight a raging pants fire at NHL headquarters.

Normally I think Proteau is kind of a d**che (though that doesnt keep me from agreeing with him occasionally), but this made me LOL.

Edited by BottleOfSmoke

Blocked nhl.com and all of its affiliates with my firewall, sick of reading the PR crap and not giving those greedy owners any hits as long as the midget will be hired instead of fired.

His success or failure is measured by revenue the league generates. This is a most important countable measure of "public confidence in the League". And you are absolutely right, the league revenue has increased by 50% in 7 years.

However, increased revenue does not necceserally means increase in profit. And running a business, a professional hockey club, aims generating a profit. And I supposed you know that half of the league's teams are loosing money...

His success are failed expansions, failed CBA negotiations in 3 of 3 tries wow what a great track record.

Edited by frankgrimes

Well, I knew it was inevitable, but I held out hope. Now that its official, let me say this:

This is absolutely ridiculous. These idiots have known that this will happen for years now, and they start seriously negotiating 2 weeks before the CBA expires? This is a joke. Unfortunately, the game we all love has been hijacked by greed. Nobody cares about the fans. They can give a s*** less about the fans. If we, the fans, are so worthless, then we should just stop watching and lining these ass holes' pockets. These guys are on the top of the world because of us. If it wasn't for the fans, all of these greedy f uckers would be struggling like the rest of us. The owners want everyone to take salary rollbacks as a result of their own fiscal irresponsibility. Well thats their own fault. The players aren't completely innocent, either. I will not be logging onto NHL.com anymore. I'm not gonna waste my time . I've cancelled my NHL Center Ice subscription. I just don't give a s hit anymore. F uck these greedy pigs.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros