2458 replies to this topic

#661 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,354 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

Per Dreger...

Yes I know there has not yet been a proposal, I was merely quoting Tsn's article about how the PA was currently in the process of drafting a new proposal, when it will be submitted is yet to be determined, for now they have not finished drafting it yet.
I'm a Red Wing for the next three years and I'm going to make sure every team we play knows that.'' -- Jordin Tootoo

#662 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

I don't know if you skipped over it or what, but I did directly quote the article in my post;

Read the fourth paragragh, and you will see where daly says that quote exactly. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=407119

You're right. I missed that part. I guess my eyes wander when I read the same quotes in every article about the lockout.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling, $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, Glendening, Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: Glendening.  MOTB TOTAL: $0

#663 Jedi

Jedi

Fire and Blood

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,780 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

Yes I know there has not yet been a proposal, I was merely quoting Tsn's article about how the PA was currently in the process of drafting a new proposal, when it will be submitted is yet to be determined, for now they have not finished drafting it yet.

I was actually just posting Dreger's tweet as a "news update", not anything as a "gotcha" to what you had said.

bdc4.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls..."

#664 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

i take it as a good sign that a new proposal is being drafted, but at the same time all of these meetings (via phone) and them basically not getting anywhere and only talking about players health insurance is really starting to concern me....tonight is opening night for God's sake.

#665 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,101 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:35 AM

i take it as a good sign that a new proposal is being drafted, but at the same time all of these meetings (via phone) and them basically not getting anywhere and only talking about players health insurance is really starting to concern me....tonight is opening night for God's sake.

If I was not on my iPhone I would put one of those fancy lines through IS.... Tonight was opening night LOL

Wake me up next october if the puck drops....
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#666 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,354 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

That is not all they talk about, I heard when Bettman and Fehr have their private meetings they talk about new ways to screw everyone over while smoking expensive cigars and drinking 50 year old scotch
I'm a Red Wing for the next three years and I'm going to make sure every team we play knows that.'' -- Jordin Tootoo

#667 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

That is not all they talk about, I heard when Bettman and Fehr have their private meetings they talk about new ways to screw everyone over while smoking expensive cigars and drinking 50 year old scotch

If they were really smoking fine cigars while sipping scotch they would both go up +10 awesome points in my book...
Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#668 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

Nice spin attempt by Daly.

http://espn.go.com/n...sting-not-money

The union suggested meeting again Friday, but the league declined because of scheduling conflicts. There are no future meetings planned at this point.
"Until we're tackling the major issues, I'm not sure what the urgency is to meet on a 24/7 basis," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said

From the same article:

"In retrospect, I look back at it and, while we were all hopeful that there was plenty of time to get a deal done, maybe the fault lies in the fact that we didn't start negotiations until June 29. Again, that goes back to the level of urgency with the players' association and not being prepared to have those discussions."

So there's no point in meeting because they're not talking economic issues even after what should have been the first day of the hockey season. But if they had started earlier then they would've gotten a deal done? Makes perfect sense. :blink:

Enough with the passive aggressive comments from both sides. No one wants to hear your whining. Go figure out a deal.

#669 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

All issues should be considered "major" in a contract negotiation; not having a dollar sign attached to it doesn't means it is meaningless and trivial.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#670 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

I was thinking the same thing. And when we're waiting to hear about progress on the main issue of how to split up 3.3 billion dollars, we, the fans, could not care less about player safety and all that jargen if they aren't even playing. Or is that just me?

It's kinda cool that I currently play in the same rink during the day as the Jets, but walking by the rink they're on when i'm going to play hockey is a little depressing at the same time cause they should have been on a road trip to start the season as far as i know.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#671 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,354 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:04 AM

All issues should be considered "major" in a contract negotiation; not having a dollar sign attached to it doesn't means it is meaningless and trivial.

No, not all issues are major issues by any stretch of the imagination. They are not locking out the players beczuse the players refuse to take drug tests after the trade deadline, they are locking them out because of money. All of these secondary issues can be sorted out during the season once they sign a deal, these are not deal breaking issues they are discussing, and I believe they are only discussing it to give the illusion to fans that they are making progress, as if the fans are stupid enough to fall for their parlour tricks :nono:

#672 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

Every point in a collective bargaining agreement has to deemed as "major". Now is the time to sort all issues, no matter how large or small the fan considers them, not "at a later date", as the League loves to do. The players expect and deserve a deal which changes or tightens up articles in the agreement that need to be addressed now.
This lockout is all about Uncle Gary, plain and simple.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#673 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

This lockout is all about Uncle Gary, plain and simple.

no it's not

both sides are at fault right now as neither side seems to eager to start discussing economic issues.

owners want the pa to come up with a new proposal. the pa wants the owners to take out salary rollbacks. both sides are dragging their feet on this issue right now

#674 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

The National Hockey League and the players' association plan for bargaining talks to resume on Tuesday.
Details of the meeting and its location have not been finalized.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=407336

#675 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

no it's not

both sides are at fault right now as neither side seems to eager to start discussing economic issues.

owners want the pa to come up with a new proposal. the pa wants the owners to take out salary rollbacks. both sides are dragging their feet on this issue right now

Finally the true colors of each side are coming out and people are starting to see what the NHL and NHLPA are all about. Those people taking sides one way or the other are really in for a dose of harsh reality.

http://www.tsn.ca/bl...nzie/?id=407263

The first is that Bettman and the owners want too much too quickly, a significant and immediate reduction in the players' share of Hockey Related Revenue that would result in a first-year pay cut of no less than 12 per cent, and perhaps more than that. Many (outside of the NHLPA anyway) don't dispute the notion that the NHL and NHLPA are destined, eventually, to go from the old 43-57 share arrangement to around 50-50, but the NHL seems hell-bent on getting there immediately with no consideration of transitioning to soften the blow to the players. For me, the ultimate issue is not going to 50-50 as much as it is how you get there. It took seven years for the old CBA to swing in the players' favor, why does it have to ruthlessly and awkwardly snap back the owners' way in one fell swoop?

The second roadblock is Fehr and the NHLPA clinging steadfastly to the notion that -- upon expiry of a CBA that has been very good to them and faced with the old lockout-gun-to-the-head approach -- they're going to escape this conflict without any tangible reduction in the dollars they earn. As righteous as they believe their cause to be, and as empathetic as many have been to that cause, I still find it beyond incredulous that the lockout is on, the players are losing salary as we speak and there has yet to be any acknowledgement in the form of an NHLPA proposal that contemplates the players taking an actual dollar less than they've been getting. I know why Fehr doesn't think they should have to; I also know there'll be no meaningful negotiations until the players move into that universe.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#676 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

Finally the true colors of each side are coming out and people are starting to see what the NHL and NHLPA are all about. Those people taking sides one way or the other are really in for a dose of harsh reality.

http://www.tsn.ca/bl...nzie/?id=407263

So your stance now is, what? The players aren't actually wrong, but since their cause may be futile, we should still be pissed at them for fighting anyway?

Just makes me more pissed at the owners for their abuse of power.

#677 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

So your stance now is, what? The players aren't actually wrong, but since their cause may be futile, we should still be pissed at them for fighting anyway?

Same here the players and even fans are seeing a pattern here, one that needs to be stopped otherwise this crap will happen twice every decade.

The NHL should man up and kick the CBA add a luxury tax and lez teams spend whatever they want.

Sent from my BlackBerry

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#678 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

My stance is what it has always has been. Both sides have not been willing or able to move from what they have wanted. The owners want too much, the players won't give up very much. Do I believe the owners should be able to negotiate a fair deal? Yes. Do I believe both sides are being unreasonable? Absolutely.

People such as yourself are pissed off saying the owners are abusing their power. The side that is not getting a good deal is going to strike or lockout every time. I look at it less that the ownership is abusing their power and more that both sides should be ashamed of themselves for not being willing to negotiate in good faith and come up with a fair and equitable deal.

Same here the players and even fans are seeing a pattern here, one that needs to be stopped otherwise this crap will happen twice every decade.

The NHL should man up and kick the CBA add a luxury tax and lez teams spend whatever they want.

Sent from my BlackBerry

I wish the NHL would dump the salary cap and institute a luxury tax. The owners are morons for not at least being willing to look down that road. It would be beneficial to both sides in the long haul.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#679 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

My stance is what it has always has been. Both sides have not been willing or able to move from what they have wanted. The owners want too much, the players won't give up very much. Do I believe the owners should be able to negotiate a fair deal? Yes. Do I believe both sides are being unreasonable? Absolutely.

People such as yourself are pissed off saying the owners are abusing their power. The side that is not getting a good deal is going to strike or lockout every time. I look at it less that the ownership is abusing their power and more that both sides should be ashamed of themselves for not being willing to negotiate in good faith and come up with a fair and equitable deal.
I wish the NHL would dump the salary cap and institute a luxury tax. The owners are morons for not at least being willing to look down that road. It would be beneficial to both sides in the long haul.

Exactly it would solve all problems I still can't believe this hasn't been brought up as of now. Maybe Fehr is putting it at the table if the owners continue their stupid stance.

I know some are optimistic about the season personally I am not so much, but like mentioned in another thread at least hope it will be worth it and the little man will get the boot plus more canadian teams.

This is just so funny the owners own crafted CBA nowadays isn't good enough anymore. Maybe the midget saw the NBA NFL crap and was like let's try this crap too forgetting that hockey is different. If we are going that route it should be the MLB one.

Sent from my BlackBerry

Edited by frankgrimes, 14 October 2012 - 06:57 PM.

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#680 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:37 PM

this quote from dan cleary disgusts me. nothing but bs.

“Fans are the most important thing for us. I'm just speaking for Detroit, how good our fans are, how well they treat us. I'm worried that they're going to get really upset and not come back, and that's going to be even worse.''

everyone knows neither side gives a damn about the fans. stop trying to insult our intelligence.