• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2458 replies to this topic

#841 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:59 PM

so where does the realignment of the conferences fit in all of this? wonder if that will come into play in these negotiations before all said and done

Edited by chances14, 17 October 2012 - 11:00 PM.

#842 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:30 PM

http://www.sportsnet..._fehr_to_nhlpa/

If you really want some insight into what the PA is thinking, read the letter Fehr wrote. I also don't think it was accidental this was made public. Moar PR.

I love the way Fehr is doing this, he is keeping all the players informed and giving them exactly the data they need. Reading the comments on some of the more well known sites makes me think, some people can't even be bothered to read more than a headline "oh wow 50:50 split" and then they stop reading to me that is funny and really showing their "attention-spawn".

If am Fehr my counter would be, ok 50:50 BUT HRR is defined the same way, all other things are staying the same too and no contract lenght cap.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#843 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:07 AM

I totally agree. The NHLPA is so much further ahead, in terms of leadership in this round of negotiations, than at any other times in their history.
Communication and participation at all levels is better than ever. Of course, it had been at such an all time low...
Now the bad news, in the form of a prediction:

“MAKE WHOLE” PROVISION

= deal breaker.

From Toronto Star :

The players have fretted that they’d have to take a rollback to fit under a lower salary cap. Bettman is allowing teams to exceed the salary cap this year — estimated now at $59.9 million — without penalty. Bettman still wants players to pay a share of their salary into an escrow account with the money to be paid a year or two down the line.

It’s a creative solution to the problem, but one that essentially sees the players of the future pay the salaries of the players of today. The future payments to make today’s players “whole” would come out of the players’ share of revenue, driving down salaries for that particular year.

If that single provision isn't tweaked, it's over, Johnny.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#844 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,807 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

We're all thinking it, so Dreger decided to tweet it...

Today is most significant to date in the CBA (negotiations). If PA proposal prompts ongoing talk there will be hockey. If not season is in jeopardy.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#845 roboginger

roboginger

Jr. Prospect

• 22 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

I wish they would just drop the all-star break. It's as worthless as teats on a boar hog.

I am a fan of the saying "As worthless as Nipples on a breast plate" lol

#846 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

phrase of preference aside, I think the players like the all-star break because for those not playing, it's a nice break halfway through a grueling season.

Those who have to play in the dog and pony show all weekend may have a different answer though. Plus that weekend is really about sponsors, who are probably already unhappy given the lockout.

#847 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,177 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

Whatever CBA they come up with this time around, we're just going to be right back here in 5 years. Unless the fans hit them where it hurts, they won't start negotiating until the 11th hour again.
These bastards forced me to check in on BASEBALL. Not sure how long it's going to take me to forgive them for that.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#848 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

Bettman thinks the lockout is not only a great negotiating tactic but also great marketing.
http://www.theonion....l-lockou,29921/

I liked the Young Guns and skills competitions

#849 Jedi

Jedi

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,807 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:05 AM

As in...
Posted Image

Bettman thinks the lockout is not only a great negotiating tactic but also great marketing.
http://www.theonion....l-lockou,29921/

Just remember that the Onion is satire, and is not meant to be taken seriously...

Looks like some big guns are coming to the table on both sides today. Beyond the usual 4 (Bettman, Daly, Fehr & Fehr), looks like Jacobs (Boston), Leipold (Minnesota), Edwards (Calgary) and Leonsis (Washington) will be present for the League. The PA will have Craig Adams, Brad Boyes, Chris Campoli, David Clarkson, Dan Cleary, Carlo Colaiacovo, Sidney Crosby, Mathieu Darche, Shane Doan, Shawn Horcoff, Jarome Iginla, Robyn Regehr, Eric Staal, Matt Stajan, Shawn Thornton, Jonathan Toews, Kevin Westgarth, and Dan Winnik.

Good to see two Wings players there.

snyoep.jpg

#850 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

The Onion probably knows how close they came to the truth in that story. Maybe that's why Uncle Gary is both so dependable and predictable at the same time.

#851 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

The Onion probably knows how close they came to the truth in that story. Maybe that's why Uncle Gary is both so dependable and predictable at the same time.

I heard they almost didn't post it because of suspicion that it could be true..

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#852 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

Bob McKenzie fears it could get fugly this afternoon. He hopes he's wrong and so do I.

#853 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

TSN once again doing their usual outstanding job of reporting. Mr. McKenzie is a positive example of the idiom about the apple and the tree; his father taught him well.

#854 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

Meeting pushed back to 2:30pm at the earliest...supposed to be 1pm. PA call with the executive Board pushed everything back and big 4 might have a pre-meeting. (per LeBrun). Not sure if any of this is good, bad, or neither. I can make some good arguments for any of those.

#855 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

Meeting pushed back to 2:30pm at the earliest...supposed to be 1pm. PA call with the executive Board pushed everything back and big 4 might have a pre-meeting. (per LeBrun). Not sure if any of this is good, bad, or neither. I can make some good arguments for any of those.

Why would the big 4 meet before they all meet.
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#856 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

As in...
Posted Image

Just remember that the Onion is satire, and is not meant to be taken seriously...

Looks like some big guns are coming to the table on both sides today. Beyond the usual 4 (Bettman, Daly, Fehr & Fehr), looks like Jacobs (Boston), Leipold (Minnesota), Edwards (Calgary) and Leonsis (Washington) will be present for the League. The PA will have Craig Adams, Brad Boyes, Chris Campoli, David Clarkson, Dan Cleary, Carlo Colaiacovo, Sidney Crosby, Mathieu Darche, Shane Doan, Shawn Horcoff, Jarome Iginla, Robyn Regehr, Eric Staal, Matt Stajan, Shawn Thornton, Jonathan Toews, Kevin Westgarth, and Dan Winnik.

Good to see two Wings players there.

The Onion? America's Finest News Source.
You probably believe everything you see on CNN

#857 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

Tweet per Andy McDonald:

Looking forward to seeing League's response to todays meeting. Really believe we are moving towards them and quality negotiations have begun

#858 Jedi

Jedi

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,807 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

The Onion? America's Finest News Source.
You probably believe everything you see on CNN

Bwahaha. :hysterical: Hardly. But that's a discussion for another time and place.

I'm very anxious to see what the PA's response will be. Andy McDonald of the Blues appears to be the same, as he had this to say...

Looking forward to seeing League's response to todays meeting. Really believe we are moving towards them and quality negotiations have begun

*edit* CURSE YOU TOBY!!! Posting stuff that I was going to post a full 8 minutes before I even saw it... :sly:

snyoep.jpg

#859 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

*edit* CURSE YOU TOBY!!! Posting stuff that I was going to post a full 8 minutes before I even saw it... :sly:

Trying to stay on top of this today....hoping for some good news. Personally, I think today we might know whether there will be a deal in the next week or so, or the two sides go away for a long time and the season is close to lost.

#860 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

Backstrom appears to have signed a contract with the KHL...flying out tonight to Moscow. If true, it can't be a good sign.