• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2458 replies to this topic

#1121 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

Just waiting for the announcement about more cancelled games....

Not official, but...

@AnsarKhanMLive: NHL's cancellation of Nov. games later today scraps 13 more Wings games, for total of 23 so far.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#1122 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

Andy Strickland@andystrickland
Sources say #NHL pulled latest offer from the table partly because not every owner liked the deal. Several clubs weren't on board

John Buccigross@Buccigross
NHL sources tell me the NHL will cancel Winter Classic and All Star Game. Announcement presently scheduled for Monday.

once they cancel the winter classic, i'm done following this lockout stuff since i have tickets to it and was the only reason why i really hoped that this lockout wouldn't last the entire season.

wake me up when these guys get a deal done.

Edited by chances14, 26 October 2012 - 12:04 PM.

#1123 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

Point is that if Bettman was fired, then the next guy would be doing the same thing.

This is why they should go with a good looking gal rather than "the next guy".

#1124 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

once they cancel the winter classic, i'm done following this lockout stuff since i have tickets to it and was the only reason why i really hoped that this lockout wouldn't last the entire season.

This is what I still don't understand. The players don't stand to make any additional money for participating in the WC, do they? It's THE LEAGUE that is going to rake in an assload of $ so this logic just makes no sense to me! I would think they would be waiting until well into November before they start looking at cancellation.

Any business brains out there have any insight? Or is this just a continuation of the wild d!ck swinging we've been so lucky to have witnessed so far?

I'm going to print off 2 copies of my receipt for my WC tix, wipe my hiney with them, and send them to the league and the PA. Happy lockout y'all!

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#1125 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

This is what I still don't understand. The players don't stand to make any additional money for participating in the WC, do they? It's THE LEAGUE that is going to rake in an assload of $ so this logic just makes no sense to me! I would think they would be waiting until well into November before they start looking at cancellation.

Any business brains out there have any insight? Or is this just a continuation of the wild d!ck swinging we've been so lucky to have witnessed so far?

I'm going to print off 2 copies of my receipt for my WC tix, wipe my hiney with them, and send them to the league and the PA. Happy lockout y'all!

i think they are doing it to get rid of any possible leverage that the players might think they have over the owners with the winter classic.

#1126 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

getting some conflicting reports now

Tim Panaccio@tpanotchCSN
Again, Bill Daly said MON was NOT a day the league would axe Winter Classic. I think it's mid to late week and they will push it

#1127 Jedi

Jedi

In this town of Halloween...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

NHL officially announced the cancellation of all games through November 30th. A total of 326 games scrapped, which accounts for 26.5% of the season.

y4m8.png
"Come with us and you will see, this our town of Halloween..."

#1128 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

NHL officially announced the cancellation of all games through November 30th. A total of 326 games scrapped, which accounts for 26.5% of the season.

I think that brings the total to 2,024 regular season games lost under Bettman. He's increasing his record lead.

And while the owners outvoted Bettman and saved half the season and playoffs in '95, you can add the entire 2004 Stanley Cup playoffs to that total.

By comparison MLB is next closest with 948 games and the NBA has lost 704.

#1129 Jedi

Jedi

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

And while the owners outvoted Bettman and saved half the season and playoffs in '95, you can add the entire 2004 Stanley Cup playoffs to that total.

That's a minimum of 60 games, maximum of 105 games. So that's at least 2,084 games lost, probably closer to 2,100 games or more...

y4m8.png

#1130 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

I wish that NHL announcement had a comments section. You know, they used to have comments on NHL.com articles...

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#1131 Jedi

Jedi

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

We're all thinking it, Ian White's just saying it...

Wings' Ian White: "It seems like everything Bettman does is in spite. Seems like what he does is meant to send a message, or for leverage.''

y4m8.png

#1132 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

We're all thinking it, Ian White's just saying it...

Bettman has a napoleon complex. Or maybe a tiny penis.

At the very least he lacks any sort of diplomacy skills.

#1133 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

Ian White picture accompanying quote.

Posted Image
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#1134 Jedi

Jedi

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

That's it!!! Banish him to Saint Helena! Genius!!

Attached File  photo.PNG   180.38KB   11 downloads

y4m8.png

#1135 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

dan boyle is not happy with either side

That the league didn’t even really consider what the NHLPA put on the table irked a number of players, including Boyle.

“Sleep on it, look it over, discuss among the other 29 owners and then come back with a no, if that’s the case,” Boyle said.

Somewhat surprisingly, Boyle didn’t absolve his own side from helping to contribute to the stalemate.

“It’s supposed to be a negotiation, and I think right now both sides feel like it’s their way or the highway. I think you’ve got to give to get, and I don’t know that we’re at that point yet,” he said.

http://www.csnbayare...01&feedID=10290

Edited by chances14, 26 October 2012 - 01:58 PM.

#1136 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

Posted Image

The title of Uncle Gary's autobiography: 50 Shades of No Way.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#1137 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

Many people have made this unprovable claim, but really how could anyone possibly do worse? The NHL by far leads the 4 major pro sports in games lost and that's all occurred under Bettman's reign.

He's not just a patsy for the owners. He's supposed to be the steward of the league.

I'd like to think they could find someone who of course would still have the interests of the owners in mind, but be able to use other strategies in negotiations than just the lockout. Instead of seeing the realignment as an opportunity for the league to involve players and establish some good will headed into the CBA negotiations, Bettman used it as a show of force and PR stunt to try and make the union look bad. Then followed it up with a first proposal that was essentially "F You!"

I am not saying that a new guy would be worse. I am just saying that the new head of the NHL would be doing the same thing. The owners call the shots, and he does what the owners want him to do. You don't think that there are a bulk of NHL owners that are tired of losing money or giving all their revenue sharing to crappy teams? Bettman is just doing what the ownership wants him to do. As "steward of the league" do you expect him to tell the ownership that he isn't going to lock the players out because its bad for the league?

I think you are taking the whole "steward of the league" thing a little too far. Bettman is there to negotiate on behalf of the owners. In reality, the steward of the league would be a different person with no ties to management or the players when it comes to bargaining.

Whats best for the NHL right now is to fire both Bettman and Fehr and get two leaders in there that get along and can work towards a deal. The current leadership on both sides has been all about their constituents, and while that isn't bad, it is when it comes to neither willing to budge much on key issues. Two sides that can work together would have this fixed quickly.

Posted Image

The title of Uncle Gary's autobiography: 50 Shades of No Way.

Posted Image

In the meantime, Fehr has a message for the fans.

Funny, I could say the same about Don "no compromise" Fehr.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#1138 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

I am not saying that a new guy would be worse. I am just saying that the new head of the NHL would be doing the same thing. The owners call the shots, and he does what the owners want him to do. You don't think that there are a bulk of NHL owners that are tired of losing money or giving all their revenue sharing to crappy teams? Bettman is just doing what the ownership wants him to do. As "steward of the league" do you expect him to tell the ownership that he isn't going to lock the players out because its bad for the league?

And I'm saying you have no idea what a new commissioner would do. But the reality is Bettman has caused record setting work stoppages of the 4 major sports. It would be awfully difficult for any new commissioner to beat or even match that kind of lost games.

Yes, I actually do expect him to tell ownership that if necessary. Because it reaches a point where it's bad for the owners as well. Several of these owners have proven themselves to be not so bright when it comes to hockey so part of Bettman's job is balancing the interests of 30 owners and also the interest of the league.

I think you are taking the whole "steward of the league" thing a little too far. Bettman is there to negotiate on behalf of the owners. In reality, the steward of the league would be a different person with no ties to management or the players when it comes to bargaining.

I'm not actually. It's just the part of his job that Bettman is terrible at.

According to the definition and duties of the Commissioner per the NHL constitution, negotiating on behalf of the owners is only a small portion of his job responsibilities. It's just when he's most noticeable because he always causes a loss in hockey games.

According to the NHL Constitution, Article VI, section 6.1:

6.1 Office of Commissioner, Election and Term of Office The League shall employ a Commissioner selected by the Board of Governors. The Commissioner shall serve as the Chief Executive Officer of the League and is charged with protecting the integrity of the game of professional hockey and preserving public confidence in the League. The Board of Governors shall determine the term of office and compensation of the Commissioner. The Commissioner shall be elected a majority of the Governors present and voting at a League meeting at which a quorum was present when it was convened.“[1]

In Section 6.3, his duties are spelled out as having "responsibility for the general supervision and direction of all business and affairs of the League", co-ordinates matters between member clubs and serves as the principal public spokesman for the League. The Commissioner also has authority over dispute resolution, League committees, interpretation of League rules, appointment of League staff, NHL financial matters, contracting authority, scheduling, officials and disciplinary powers.[2] The Commissioner also determines the date and places of Board of Governor meetings.

Whats best for the NHL right now is to fire both Bettman and Fehr and get two leaders in there that get along and can work towards a deal. The current leadership on both sides has been all about their constituents, and while that isn't bad, it is when it comes to neither willing to budge much on key issues. Two sides that can work together would have this fixed quickly.

Funny, I could say the same about Don "no compromise" Fehr.

How do you compromise when the other side won't even meet with you?

#1139 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

I think that brings the total to 2,024 regular season games lost under Bettman. He's increasing his record lead.

By comparison MLB is next closest with 948 games and the NBA has lost 704.

That should secure a lock for 1st ballot HHOF, right? Maybe if he has one more lockout he could get his own wing. At least his name on a trophy.

#1140 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

And I'm saying you have no idea what a new commissioner would do. But the reality is Bettman has caused record setting work stoppages of the 4 major sports. It would be awfully difficult for any new commissioner to beat or even match that kind of lost games.

Same way how I say you have no idea how if the NHLPA and the NHL started bargaining in January, that they may have come to a deal with the extra time they had. You say there is no way it would have happened. I say its possible given the extra time. In this case, you choose to believe a new NHL commissioner would be more accomodating. I say not so fast, and that a new commissioner would probably lock out the players being as that the owners are only making 43%. So who is right in this case? Without anything to base it on except our gut, neither of us are right.

Yes, I actually do expect him to tell ownership that if necessary. Because it reaches a point where it's bad for the owners as well. Several of these owners have proven themselves to be not so bright when it comes to hockey so part of Bettman's job is balancing the interests of 30 owners and also the interest of the league.

The ownership obviously believes that they can get a better deal. Its not like Bettman is doing his own thing here.

How do you compromise when the other side won't even meet with you?

Thats funny, when the NHL put forward the proposal before the big 50/50 proposal, they were waiting for the NHLPA to come to the table and put forward a proposal, yet the NHLPA wouldn't do it. With Fehr saying this wasn't a game of "ping-pong" and he wasn't going to negotiate. No words for Fehr when he pulls that kind of buffoonery, but you have plenty for Bettman when he pulls the same stunt? I certainly don't excuse either side for their part in this charade, and neither should you. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain