2458 replies to this topic

#1401 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

Pierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Hearing both sides in meeting spent first 3-plus hours on revenue sharing (among teams); picking up from last night. Not yet on Make Whole.

#1402 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,490 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

Meeting done, next meeting tomorrow. Hate that no details are released, but happy at the same time since that is probably a good thing.

#1403 Wings10

Wings10

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

Probably see a deal done by Sunday if I had to guess.

#1404 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,490 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

I've also heard that 23/11/2012 is an important date from the standpoint the League and I know why. This kind of a deadline hasn't been staring the League in the face before these negotiations.

First scheduled game on NBC? I don't think the league places quite that much importance on it.

#1405 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:55 AM

Pierre LeBrun agrees with me? Interesting.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#1406 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

I just find it amazing that both sides have spent more time negotiating in the last two days than they have in the last 6 months. Where was this sense of urgency in June/July? Just further proof that neither side deserves your financial support when the sport comes back. If both sides gave a crap, they would have been doing this in July instead of pontificating for the press and acting like spoiled brats.

I do hope a deal gets done soon so I can watch the Wings on TV again.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#1407 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

I just find it amazing that both sides have spent more time negotiating in the last two days than they have in the last 6 months. Where was this sense of urgency in June/July? Just further proof that neither side deserves your financial support when the sport comes back. If both sides gave a crap, they would have been doing this in July instead of pontificating for the press and acting like spoiled brats.

I do hope a deal gets done soon so I can watch the Wings on TV again.

now now you know fehr and the nhlpa were just the victims here of the devil called bettman. give me a break.....Both sides are ridiculous. So sad that we lost the historical winter classic because of all of this. If I didn't love the sport so much and love watching it I would no longer be a fan of the nhl and would probably stop watching hockey all together.
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#1408 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,490 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

Well, both sides finally met for longer than 2 hours. It took 4.5 months for them to finally sit down and meet for 6-7 hours and then meet again tonight. I certainly hope real negotiations are happening. We don't know because both sides are tight lipped about what was discussed. Still, I applaud both sides for finally sitting down and getting down to brass tax. I hope it continues for the rest of the week or until a deal is done.

Have you ever been part of a negotiation? I'm sure both sides had no problem sitting down and meeting in June/July, but I can guarantee you that neither side would be willing to offer anything at all in terms of comprimises....why would they in June? Where's the pressure. I'm sorry, it's just the nature of the beast.

#1409 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

Have you ever been part of a negotiation? I'm sure both sides had no problem sitting down and meeting in June/July, but I can guarantee you that neither side would be willing to offer anything at all in terms of comprimises....why would they in June? Where's the pressure. I'm sorry, it's just the nature of the beast.

I have never been part of a seriously big negotiation like this, but its hard for me to fathom why there has to be pressure in order to make progress. You are right though, its the nature of the beast I suppose. I just don't like the pontificating for the press while they weren't talking. Now, by them being silent for the press, they are getting down to business. Its a shame they couldn't have done this before damage was done.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#1410 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

I have never been part of a seriously big negotiation like this, but its hard for me to fathom why there has to be pressure in order to make progress. You are right though, its the nature of the beast I suppose. I just don't like the pontificating for the press while they weren't talking. Now, by them being silent for the press, they are getting down to business. Its a shame they couldn't have done this before damage was done.

Yeah, but then we wouldn't have time to watch basketball! :scared:

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#1411 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,490 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

If there is a deadline by which you need to get something done....most people will withhold any and all potential concessions at least until such deadline as they wait to see if the other side bends. I don't see how it would work any different than that. The lockout is really a negotiation approach as well. There really doesn't have to be a lockout, it should be a last reasort, but with Bettman, he has shown time and time again that it is his first resort, that's how he negotiates (unless you simply give him what he wants up front). That said, if the owner's didn't lock out the players, they really wouldn't have much leverage in negotiations, so it's really hard to argue against it too much.

It looks like they may be planning on having discussions tomorrow as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if today's meeting results in the same thing as the last couple days (long meeting followed by no comments...commitment to meet the next day). I'm fine with that as it shows some progress must be occuring, but I'm getting impatient....is a deal getting done in the next several days or not.....need to know.

#1412 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger
If NHL doesn't honour existing contracts and guarantee players $1.883 share there will be no deal anytime soon. Biggest day of negotiation.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie
Try to refrain from hyperbole but sense today is BIG on NHL labor front. Suspect we find out if this is going north or south.

#1413 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

If there is a deadline by which you need to get something done....most people will withhold any and all potential concessions at least until such deadline as they wait to see if the other side bends. I don't see how it would work any different than that. The lockout is really a negotiation approach as well. There really doesn't have to be a lockout, it should be a last reasort, but with Bettman, he has shown time and time again that it is his first resort, that's how he negotiates (unless you simply give him what he wants up front). That said, if the owner's didn't lock out the players, they really wouldn't have much leverage in negotiations, so it's really hard to argue against it too much.

It looks like they may be planning on having discussions tomorrow as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if today's meeting results in the same thing as the last couple days (long meeting followed by no comments...commitment to meet the next day). I'm fine with that as it shows some progress must be occuring, but I'm getting impatient....is a deal getting done in the next several days or not.....need to know.

If the players were going to not concede anything, then the lockout becomes the only option. Heck, it wasn't like Bettman hit the lockout button in late June. No traction was made so he locked them out. So if you understand that both sides hold all their cards until there is real pressure, then you should also understand why we are where we are right now. The players would not have negotiated and played under the existing deal for as long as possible so playing wouldn't have been an option either.

I do get what you are saying though, but as you said, you can't demonize bettman for locking the players out just based on what you know from negotiations and how both sides hold everything and concede nothing until there is real pressure.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#1414 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Don Fehr will provide short update in about 10 min

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#1415 Jedi

Jedi

In this town of Halloween...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

Meetings done for the day, but they're meeting again tomorrow.

Good sign, for sure. 4 straight days of meetings. Hopefully we're that much closer to a deal.

y4m8.png
"Come with us and you will see, this our town of Halloween..."

#1416 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:48 AM

If D. Fehr says the words, "We kicked the tires," do you suppose the universe as we know it will implode?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#1417 Jedi

Jedi

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

Darren Dreger's tweeting this morning, providing a healthy dose of caution over the whole process...

Keep hearing about the owners targeting U.S Thanksgiving for start-up. I don't get that sense. If negotiations sour, owners will dig in.

Same resolve remains among players.They believe they've given enough (50-50).Critics of PA proposal (Wed) say its too similar to past offers

I understand negotiations...just don't see how the lockout ends anytime soon given the position of both sides.

And once more unto the breach... Today's meetings are underway.

LeBrun...

NHLPA says meeting with league just began and that there would likely be a couple of meetings today with breaks....

y4m8.png

#1418 Jedi

Jedi

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

A memo sent to the players last night by Fehr has made it's way to TSN, and it's available to read online. Sounds like the league is still asking for an immediate jump to 50/50, and has not let up on their contract restrictions (28/8 UFA, 5% year-to-year variation, 5 year max contract, etc).

Worth a read. In short, it highlights how even after 3 straight days there is still much work to be done.

y4m8.png

#1419 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

A memo sent to the players last night by Fehr has made it's way to TSN, and it's available to read online. Sounds like the league is still asking for an immediate jump to 50/50, and has not let up on their contract restrictions (28/8 UFA, 5% year-to-year variation, 5 year max contract, etc).

Worth a read. In short, it highlights how even after 3 straight days there is still much work to be done.

That's depressing.

It's great that they're finally actually meeting for longer sessions and for the first time are not lying when they say they don't negotiate publicly. But the situation sounds very much the same. An immediate 50/50 AND those contract restrictions? It doesn't sound like we're anywhere close to a deal.

It's so stupid. A 3 year step down to 50/50 seems pretty fair to me. It would make it less painful for teams to be under the cap with their existing contracts, and minimize the rollback on players salary. Then modify contract restrictions somewhat, specifically the term length to something like 6 or 7 years. 5% is too restrictive for variation, but some restriction (20%?) does make sense to prevent more cap circumvention. Leave the other ones alone, give or take tweaks.

I'm not even going to speculate on what's a fair "make-whole" provision because it's so convoluted. But the owners should definitely share the burden of paying out existing contracts.

#1420 Jedi

Jedi

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

That's depressing.

It's great that they're finally actually meeting for longer sessions and for the first time are not lying when they say they don't negotiate publicly. But the situation sounds very much the same. An immediate 50/50 AND those contract restrictions? It doesn't sound like we're anywhere close to a deal.

Agreed. The main positive to take from this whole thing, however, is the fact that they're still negotiating. Since both sides seem all to quick to shoot down a proposal (in a matter of minutes, at times), the fact that they're still discussing ideas and working together is a big positive to take away.

It may be the only positive, if both sides are still so far apart...

y4m8.png