• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2458 replies to this topic

#1501 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:48 AM

Why cant the nhl find harmony? Its stupid to lose seasons of hockey. This s*** pisses me off.

#1502 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,320 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:03 AM

Hey guys, how about we stop the pissing contest and end the lockout? Kthxbye.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#1503 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,192 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

Yo ho, yo ho, an owner's life for me.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#1504 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,264 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

They can't even agree on whether to be optimistic or pessimistic.

Dreger's Twitter:

From sickbay...players keep telling me they're optimistic a deal will get done, while owners tell me they have no confidence in that.

#1505 Jedi

Jedi

Christmastime is buzzing in my skull...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,827 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

They can't even agree on whether to be optimistic or pessimistic.

Must... Not... Post... Silly-But-Relevant... Picture...

Dreger's Twitter:

From sickbay...players keep telling me they're optimistic a deal will get done, while owners tell me they have no confidence in that.

We've seen the reports of owners privately saying that they're closer to a deal than what's being presented to the public. And the reports of the players still being optimistic and putting together creative ideas. To me, it really sounds like the league needs to drop the Draconian contract restrictions, and a deal could be done within a few days.

That said, I'm still not holding my breath...

*edit* To clarify, some contract restrictions are needed, for sure. But not the "All-or-nothing" set that the league is demanding. Work with the PA, find something that works for both sides. It CAN be done.

"And the best, I must confess, I have saved for the last, for the ruler of this Christmas land,

is a fearsome king with a deep mighty voice, least, that's what I've come to understand.

And I've also heard it told, that he's something to behold, like a lobster, huge and red!

When he sets out to slay with his rain gear on, carting bulging sacks with his big great arms, that is so I've heard it said.

And on a dark cold night, under full moon light, he flies into a fog like a vulture in the sky!

And they call him Sandy Claws!

#1506 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,264 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

Per Dreger's twitter:

People asking whether CBA talks are in a deep freeze. Well, NHL won't meet for sake of meeting. Need something from players.

This is ridiculous. Just keep getting in a room together! Stop putting requirements on even meeting. At the very least have S. Fehr and Daly meet and leave Don and Gary out of it. They can have their pissing contest somewhere else.

If they actually have nearly settled the 50/50 and the make whole provisions but now it's contract restrictions holding things up, then this lockout has gotten even stupider than I ever thought it could have.

The only thing the league really needs to fight for is the restrictions that eliminate back diving contracts.

#1507 Jedi

Jedi

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,827 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

Harrison Mooney with Puck Daddy has an interesting article up about how Mitt Romney's campaign used the Bruin's stadium (TD Garden) for their election night HQ on a night that was supposed to be the B's home opener.

While the post is about 50/50 between lockout and politics, it provides a little bit of insight into Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs. Long story short, Jacobs knew that the space would be available, even before the games were officially cancelled, while the League's much-vaunted 50/50 deal was still on the table...

You see, Election Day in the U.S. was Nov. 6. Also scheduled for that date, for most of the calendar year: The Boston Bruins' home game against the Minnesota Wild that evening.

In fact, if the owners' Oct. 16 offer to end the NHL lockout and salvage an 82-game season had gone through, the game versus the Wild would have become the Bruins' home opener.

The Romney campaign told staff and volunteers they would be working from TD Garden on Election Day as early as Oct. 22, when the space was mentioned on a training call...

This is four days after the NHL rejected the NHLPA's trio of counter-offers, but also four days before the NHL closed the books on playing games on this date.

Even with an offer still on the table -- one that purported to be a sincere, last-ditch attempt to save the 82-game season -- Jeremy Jacobs was quite confident that the Bruins wouldn't be staging their home opener on Election Night.

Fair warning. Yes, I just linked to a page that has some political discussions. That said, I only did so because it directly involves Hockey/NHL/Lockout. Politics is still a NO-GO issue on LGW, so keep discussion hockey related only.

"And the best, I must confess, I have saved for the last, for the ruler of this Christmas land,

is a fearsome king with a deep mighty voice, least, that's what I've come to understand.

And I've also heard it told, that he's something to behold, like a lobster, huge and red!

When he sets out to slay with his rain gear on, carting bulging sacks with his big great arms, that is so I've heard it said.

And on a dark cold night, under full moon light, he flies into a fog like a vulture in the sky!

#1508 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

That's really a moot point. Even if the '50/50' offer from the league was accepted by the players, the league had already stated that a full 82 game season was possible, starting on 11/1 I believe. Even if Jacobs wasn't close to negotiations, he could still rest assured that game would have been rescheduled. On the other hand, he shouldn't have had any indication a game wouldn't be rescheduled to that same date.

Edited by rrasco, 14 November 2012 - 02:15 PM.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#1509 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

Renowned mediator wants crack at talks

Bring this guy on board asap

#1510 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Thanks to some information gleaned from TSN, I now realize that Recchi wants to talk more like an owner now.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#1511 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

Renowned mediator wants crack at talks

Bring this guy on board asap

Am I the only that read this as: "A Renowned Mediator wants to bring Crack (the drug) to the NHL Talks between the union and the owners."

???
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#1512 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

Am I the only that read this as: "A Renowned Mediator wants to bring Crack (the drug) to the NHL Talks between the union and the owners."

???

Ah, ambiguity...

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#1513 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,264 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

???

:lol:

With about as much sense as this lockout has made, it couldn't hurt.

#1514 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

???

Yes. You are a crack head and cant stop thinking about it. Just kidding!

#1515 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,264 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

More things about the lockout I'm hoping aren't true. From Aaron Ward's Twitter:

Sources have indicated Bettman floated the idea to NHLPA that both sides take 2 week moratorium.This has NOT been discussed further.

Apparently it's true. Dreger's Twitter:

Series of Daly quotes on league initiated hiatus: "We have made repeated moves in the Players' direction with absolutely no reciprocation."

Daly: "unfortunately, we have determined we are involved with Union leadership that has no genuine interest in reaching an agreement."

Daly: "Regardless of what we propose or how we suggest to compromise the answer is "no," At some pt you have to say "enough is enough".

So more finger pointing and blame game and no negotiating. Perfect.

f*** this league.

#1516 Jedi

Jedi

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,827 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

R.I.P. NHL. 1917-2012.

Posted Image

#1517 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

Does anyone care about hockey anymore? I've found I don't really miss it, and I didn't think I'd feel that way. All of these clowns have so completely soured the sport for me, if it comes back, I won't watch it. I'll follow the games to some extent here on LGW, but I sure as hell won't go out of my way for it. I did the same thing after the MLB strike in 1994, and it took quite a long time to re-ignite my love for baseball.

Grown adults, all making a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge sum of money well beyond that of their fans, arguing over who should get more money.

PATHETIC.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#1518 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

Daren Millard@darenmillard

Per Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly, "Don (fehr) called Gary (Bettman) and suggested he didn't know how to proceed from here.

Gary suggested that perhaps a moratorium might be in order. We have not heard back.

#1519 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:34 AM

Here's a compromise: How about Bettman and Fehr both take a break- a very long break- and bring in scrubs to do the negotiating?

#1520 Jedi

Jedi

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,827 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

Greg Wyshynski's take on the NHL's two week break proposal. I rather like the last paragraph...

Hopefully this just another ploy to get the players back to the table; otherwise, we'd be very interested to hear how a League that's been selling the idea that time is running short to save the season would propose to sit back, watch Blu-Ray box sets of "The Wire" and lay off the CBA talks for 14 days.