• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

uk_redwing

[Retired] Official Lockout Thread

Rate this topic

I'm glad Nick retired when he did. If he had been planning on coming back for one more year, and he ended up missing most if not all of this season, it wouldn't have been too pretty.

As for my own feelings about hockey when it comes back.....I'll always root for the Red Wings to win, and I'll always want Wings players to succeed at their highest levels, but the league itself can suck boiled eggs. I'll post here still, but I won't watch a single game, listen to a single game, or spend even one dollar on NHL merchandise. To hell with them. It took a long time for baseball to win me back after the strike in 1994, and this is the 3rd NHL lockout that's happened in the last 20 years. There's absolutely no guarantee it won't happen again in another 5 or 6 years. I'm personally getting tired of being made to feel like my fandom doesn't matter, and that I'll just dumbly follow the league wherever it goes, no matter what it does. Sorry, you've s*** the bed for the last time.

Ok my bad then should have clarified it:

Basically some owners bought the car for the full price but they knew fully well, this is not what they are willing to pay for it. They aren't asking for repossession, owners want to keep the car but not pay the demanded price for it although they've agreed to do so weeks/months.

brilliant! do i have to quote you addressing offtopic a few days ago and some deleted posts or we argee there were no offtopic in both cases?... :)

All three branches (lower case "b") of the CHL begin their schedules tomorrow. If you haven't been to a game in awhile, go; I don't think you'll be disappointed.

No one will EVER be disappointed going to a CHL game. Great and fun experience. Followed the Wheat Kings playoff run when they had Eric Fehr and they took out Moose Jaw with Dustin Boyd and Kenndal McCardle in the first round, Calgary Hitmen with Ryan Getzlaf and Andrew Ladd in round 2 and then in the finals they lost to the Kelowna Rockets with Shea Weber and Blake Comeau...all in all, some of the best hockey i've ever watched. missed only 1 playoff game that year and it's about 200 km each way to see a game and i don't regret doing the trips for 1 second.

All three branches (lower case "b") of the CHL begin their schedules tomorrow. If you haven't been to a game in awhile, go; I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I planned on it. Looks like I will be getting to see a lot more of Frk this year than I anticipated.

No one will EVER be disappointed going to a CHL game. Great and fun experience. Followed the Wheat Kings playoff run when they had Eric Fehr and they took out Moose Jaw with Dustin Boyd and Kenndal McCardle in the first round, Calgary Hitmen with Ryan Getzlaf and Andrew Ladd in round 2 and then in the finals they lost to the Kelowna Rockets with Shea Weber and Blake Comeau...all in all, some of the best hockey i've ever watched. missed only 1 playoff game that year and it's about 200 km each way to see a game and i don't regret doing the trips for 1 second.

Do they televise whl and ohl nation wide up there? If they do im moving over the locks and changing my flag :)

NHL announces cancellation of preseason schedule through Sept. 30

NEW YORK – The National Hockey League announced today the cancellation of the 2012 preseason schedule through Sept. 30. In addition, the 2012 Kraft Hockeyville preseason game, scheduled for Oct. 3 in Belleville, Ontario, has been postponed to 2013.

The cancellation of the schedule was necessary because of the absence of a Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NHL Players’ Association and the NHL.

While the Kraft Hockeyville game has been postponed, many of the scheduled celebrations in the winning community of Stirling-Rawdon, Ontario, will proceed as planned beginning on Sept. 30.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=641879

Anybody else think how much this probably sucks for Nail Yakupov? First year that you're probably gonna play in the NHL, people already listing your name beside Eberle, Hall, and Nugent-Hopkins and then a lockout comes and you have to postpone your dream.

Do they televise whl and ohl nation wide up there? If they do im moving over the locks and changing my flag :)

Last season Rogers Sportsnet started something new: Friday Night Hockey . It began mid-November and went through to March, featuring a CHL doubleheader. I can't find information about the upcoming season but I suspect they will be doing it again.

brilliant! do i have to quote you addressing offtopic a few days ago and some deleted posts or we argee there were no offtopic in both cases?... :)

? Your post was about something more union than sports related. Mine is an real"world" example of what the owners want and why it doesn't even make sense - nor would it be possible - in rl.

From Washington Times:

“If the league decides to cut our salaries and cut our contracts for what they want, I don’t know how many guys will be coming back,”

Ovechkin said on conference call with The Washington Times and The Washington Post on Wednesday. “We signed contracts before, and why they have to cut our salaries and our contracts right now? They sign us. [Now they] want to cut it, I think it’s a stupid idea and a stupid decision by the NHL, [commissionerGary] Bettman and the guys who work there.”

“If it’s going to be the same situation, I think it’s all going to be all year because we’re not going to give up,”

Ovechkin

said. “We stick together because we have a very good [leader],

Don Fehr, and the guys know and trust him right now because his job is to help us to play hockey.”

Edited by cusimano_brothers

Some games are on sportsnet and you'll occasionally get random local channels that get feeds to games. I'll definitely be looking it up this year and will be going to Wheat Kings games in person. If I end up in Borden, ON this year for training stuff i'll definitely try to catch a Barrie Colts game. The ticket prices are also very good for games. There's American teams as well in the CHL. Portland Winterhawks and I would assume the Tri-City Americans are in the US. It really depends on if you're willing to drive a couple hours to see a game. Living in Michigan, you could potentially see half the teams in the OHL in a 2-3 hour drive, but I may be mistaken.

It really depends on if you're willing to drive a couple hours to see a game. Living in Michigan, you could potentially see half the teams in the OHL in a 2-3 hour drive, but I may be mistaken.

Yeah, people in Michigan have MANY options for hockey during the lockout. There are two OHL teams in Michigan for Wings fans: nearby Plymouth and Saginaw (a bit further), and of course the Spitfires in Windsor, which is like...5 minutes from The Joe not counting the border stuff.

Then they have multiple top level NCAA hockey teams, 2 USHL teams, 3 NAHL teams, ECHL in both K-Zoo and Toledo, and of course, an AHL team. Not to mention numerous lower junior level teams.

Out here in Arizona? We have 1 CHL team. That's it :zzz:

Another decent perspective on the lockout. Towards the end he hits upon one of the reasons why I put a lot of the blame on Bettman and his strategy.

The NHL and its wealthier franchises certainly have a responsibility to support those teams in weaker markets, especially since those teams were born of the league's own vision for expanding the game.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/dave_naylor/?id=405623

Bettman wanted to expand the game into non-hockey markets. Fine. Then when those franchises struggle he points the finger at the players as to the biggest reason why and locks them out.

It's going to take time and commitment to turn a non-traditional market into a good one for hockey. It's not the players fault that people in Phoenix just don't want to watch hockey that much. Right out of the gate owners of franchises in Detroit, Toronto, New York, etc have a HUGE advantage over those in places like Nashville and Phoenix.

It has to do with the history and popularity of the teams, the length of time hockey has been part of a culture in that market, and also the strength of the Canadian dollar. The biggest reasons for the economic disparity has nothing to do with the percentage of revenue allocated to paying players.

Bettman apparently doesn't have the skills or the will to get his owners to share more revenue and actually address the economic disparity, instead he goes after the players because it's easier and something all his owners can agree on.

Unfortunately his spineless strategy is terrible for the fans and ultimately for the NHL.

Guest RedWingsDad

It has to do with the history and popularity of the teams, the length of time hockey has been part of a culture in that market, and also the strength of the Canadian dollar. The biggest reasons for the economic disparity has nothing to do with the percentage of revenue allocated to paying players.

I agree that player pay is not the biggest reason for the economic disparity. The biggest reason for failing teams is poor business management. Hockey culture, strength of the dollar, etc... are all excuses for poor owners running a poor business, or making the decision to run a business in a poor market.

Please don't remind me. I'm going to have to rely on streamed Griffs and Spirit games just to keep from going insane...

In Winnipeg we've had the NHL back for 1 year and now it's locked out... That's like hanging your bare ass out at a pitbull through a fence...

Edited by Z Winged Dangler

I agree that player pay is not the biggest reason for the economic disparity. The biggest reason for failing teams is poor business management. Hockey culture, strength of the dollar, etc... are all excuses for poor owners running a poor business, or making the decision to run a business in a poor market.

I agree that's absolutely another reason, even in hockey markets where the franchise is allegedly struggling. I mainly meant that even good owners in non-hockey markets have a tougher road ahead.

If an owner is willing to take on that challenge that's fine, but it's not players salaries that are the biggest obstacle to their success. Not anymore.

Eric Macramalla, from Offside Sports Law Blog, obtained a memo from Fehr to players yesterday. I'm not going to link to individual tweets, since there's so many, but you can click on his name and see his timeline. But I thought it was some interesting insight to the mindset of the PA...

Got hands on memo from Fehr to players from yesterday afternoon - here's some of what he said...

Fehr: NHL's bargaining approach is "you must reduce your salaries by a large amount and a lockout will be in place until you agree to do so"

Fehr: NHLPA chose not to be aggressive in its own proposal so as not to "provoke a dispute"

Fehr: NHLPA proposed $260M/year in team rev sharing - $140M in regular sharing and $120M in to assist troubled teams

Fehr: NHL proposed lowering salaries to 49%, 48% in year 2 and 47% for last 4 seasons; reduction equals 14% (yr1), 16% (yr2) and 17.5%

Fehr: NHL said this proposal was "meaningful"; NHLPA disagrees - if rev growth is at 7.1% rate salaries would be drop by $1B in first 3 yrs

Fehr: Ultimate question - "What do the players get out of the agreement...other than much lower salaries and far fewer rights?"

Fehr's memo when read as whole very clearly sets things out for the players; easy to follow; makes it easier to dig in and fight when get it

Eric Macramalla, from Offside Sports Law Blog, obtained a memo from Fehr to players yesterday. I'm not going to link to individual tweets, since there's so many, but you can click on his name and see his timeline. But I thought it was some interesting insight to the mindset of the PA...

While I understand Fehr's point of view here, about players losing rights and what not, I do not understand why they are not meeting and trying to come to an agreement somewhere in the middle. We have been locked out going on 5 days and no meetings have taken place, and no meetings are scheduled. It appears both sides have the same approach, do nothing till the other side caves.

best idea my friend ever had, set up a season in nhl 13, with 20 minute periods and just watch the games play like you're watching the real nhl, and pretend we have hockey!

Another decent perspective on the lockout. Towards the end he hits upon one of the reasons why I put a lot of the blame on Bettman and his strategy.

http://www.tsn.ca/bl...ylor/?id=405623

Bettman wanted to expand the game into non-hockey markets. Fine. Then when those franchises struggle he points the finger at the players as to the biggest reason why and locks them out.

It's going to take time and commitment to turn a non-traditional market into a good one for hockey. It's not the players fault that people in Phoenix just don't want to watch hockey that much. Right out of the gate owners of franchises in Detroit, Toronto, New York, etc have a HUGE advantage over those in places like Nashville and Phoenix.

Bettman apparently doesn't have the skills or the will to get his owners to share more revenue and actually address the economic disparity, instead he goes after the players because it's easier and something all his owners can agree on.

Unfortunately his spineless strategy is terrible for the fans and ultimately for the NHL.

Agree. The owners need to either get rid of the Floor, revenue share with bankrupt teams, or move the bankrupt teams to better hockey markets (if they want to continue under the current system). The Players don't have to give an inch.

I heard Forbes said the Leafs could pay Phoenix's entire debt and still be the richest team in the League. Obviously this isn't the Players fault. With fans and media on the Players side this time around, the longer this goes, the more info showing how screwed up the current system is will come out. The Owners will be the first to cave, and Bettman will lose his job.