[Retired] Official Lockout Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2458 replies to this topic

#141 Ytsejam

Ytsejam

Draftee

• 9 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:42 PM

...here is a list from The Hockey News annual 100 People of Power and Influence issued in January this year.
http://www.google.ca... ... aA&cad=rja

That thread is from 2006

I don't know the ins-and-outs of the cba negotiations, but do you think a shortened season would be beneficial to the wings? Around the 60 game mark last season, DET was #1 in the NHL :]

Edited by Ytsejam, 18 September 2012 - 10:47 PM.

#142 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,960 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:12 PM

Sure it does. It's called the car gets repossessed, and the dealer gets to sell it again. There are ways to get out of destructive contracts, and people take them all the time. Buy more house than you can afford, and lose your job? Under your scenario, too bad, you're an indentured servant until you pay what you owe. I mean, why should the bank give you a break. You're the one who signed the contract. Noone put a gun to your head and made you get a house.

Ok my bad then should have clarified it:

Basically some owners bought the car for the full price but they knew fully well, this is not what they are willing to pay for it. They aren't asking for repossession, owners want to keep the car but not pay the demanded price for it although they've agreed to do so weeks/months.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#143 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:39 AM

That thread is from 2006

I don't know the ins-and-outs of the cba negotiations, but do you think a shortened season would be beneficial to the wings? Around the 60 game mark last season, DET was #1 in the NHL :]

i managed to dig out my hockey news people in power issue for this year and sidney crosby is listed as number 1 followed by bettman at 2 and fehr at 3.

there are only 7 owners listed in the top 100 and illitch isn't one of them

I do think a shortened season will help the wings out. less chances for them to get injured before the playoffs start

#144 RippedOnNitro

RippedOnNitro

Rookie

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:25 AM

football sucks

:nono:

Football rules! :yahoo:
First round series win: $0 () Second round series win: $0 () Third round series win: $0 () Fourth round series win: $0 () Goal difference: $0 (-3) Shutout difference: $0 (0) SHG difference: $0 (0) Extra points reg. season: $3 (102)

TOTAL COLLECTED: $0 TOTAL BONUS IF STANLEY CUP: $3

#145 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:12 AM

Football is boring and douchey. There, I said it.

#146 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:18 AM

http://www.facebook..../boycotttheNHL/

#147 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:12 AM

It would be nice if both sides try to make the "small groups" concept work; it can work. I guess that's the only option left.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#148 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:39 AM

A great article

http://www.theglobea...article4552510/

---

So you can clutch at straws and hope for the best by dismissing the events of the past 72 hours as the usual rhetoric and posturing – or you can go all Chicken Little and think the sky really is falling.
The evidence for pessimism seems far stronger, and that’s largely because Fehr has the players convinced that their givebacks during the lost season of 2004-05 mean that the onus is on the owners to compromise this time.

---
  • ami likes this
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#149 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:39 AM

http://www.facebook..../boycotttheNHL/

As pissed off as I am that the NHL is locked out yet again, I'm gonna come crashing back like an excited kid when the NHL resumes. If it was boycottBettman or fireBettman, i'd be 110% onboard.

They said the CBA negotiations were hard to get started during the season, but the only 4 people in all but 1 meeting have been Bettman, Daly and the Fehr's so i'm not seeing why they couldn't have had bi-weekly conference calls with the owners and PA and have the same 4 guys meet during the year. We would likely be waiting to see training camps right now and not disappointed that another lockout is here and have horse s*** facebook groups making boycott NHL groups.

How about a facebook page for bring back the NHL? I may even join that one and i have no time for facebook these days.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#150 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

A little detail I hadn't really considered. The NHL cancels all insurance coverage on its players when they lock them out, including their families health insurance. They did it in 94 and 2004 as well.

The NHLPA is paying the players insurance premiums during the lockout.

http://espn.go.com/n...ers-nhl-lockout

#151 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

I do think a shortened season will help the wings out. less chances for them to get injured before the playoffs start

It's all a matter of perspective: Less time for them to heal when they do actually get hurt.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#152 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:09 PM

I'm glad Nick retired when he did. If he had been planning on coming back for one more year, and he ended up missing most if not all of this season, it wouldn't have been too pretty.

As for my own feelings about hockey when it comes back.....I'll always root for the Red Wings to win, and I'll always want Wings players to succeed at their highest levels, but the league itself can suck boiled eggs. I'll post here still, but I won't watch a single game, listen to a single game, or spend even one dollar on NHL merchandise. To hell with them. It took a long time for baseball to win me back after the strike in 1994, and this is the 3rd NHL lockout that's happened in the last 20 years. There's absolutely no guarantee it won't happen again in another 5 or 6 years. I'm personally getting tired of being made to feel like my fandom doesn't matter, and that I'll just dumbly follow the league wherever it goes, no matter what it does. Sorry, you've s*** the bed for the last time.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#153 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:14 PM

All three branches (lower case "b") of the CHL begin their schedules tomorrow. If you haven't been to a game in awhile, go; I don't think you'll be disappointed.

#154 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

#155 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

Ok my bad then should have clarified it:

Basically some owners bought the car for the full price but they knew fully well, this is not what they are willing to pay for it. They aren't asking for repossession, owners want to keep the car but not pay the demanded price for it although they've agreed to do so weeks/months.

brilliant! do i have to quote you addressing offtopic a few days ago and some deleted posts or we argee there were no offtopic in both cases?... :)

#156 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

All three branches (lower case "b") of the CHL begin their schedules tomorrow. If you haven't been to a game in awhile, go; I don't think you'll be disappointed.

No one will EVER be disappointed going to a CHL game. Great and fun experience. Followed the Wheat Kings playoff run when they had Eric Fehr and they took out Moose Jaw with Dustin Boyd and Kenndal McCardle in the first round, Calgary Hitmen with Ryan Getzlaf and Andrew Ladd in round 2 and then in the finals they lost to the Kelowna Rockets with Shea Weber and Blake Comeau...all in all, some of the best hockey i've ever watched. missed only 1 playoff game that year and it's about 200 km each way to see a game and i don't regret doing the trips for 1 second.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#157 GSBrooks13

GSBrooks13

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

I planned on it. Looks like I will be getting to see a lot more of Frk this year than I anticipated.

"Push the dirt off your jersey then go for the cup or the trophy or the ring, champion no matter what."

#158 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

No one will EVER be disappointed going to a CHL game. Great and fun experience. Followed the Wheat Kings playoff run when they had Eric Fehr and they took out Moose Jaw with Dustin Boyd and Kenndal McCardle in the first round, Calgary Hitmen with Ryan Getzlaf and Andrew Ladd in round 2 and then in the finals they lost to the Kelowna Rockets with Shea Weber and Blake Comeau...all in all, some of the best hockey i've ever watched. missed only 1 playoff game that year and it's about 200 km each way to see a game and i don't regret doing the trips for 1 second.

Do they televise whl and ohl nation wide up there? If they do im moving over the locks and changing my flag :)

#159 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

NHL announces cancellation of preseason schedule through Sept. 30

NEW YORK – The National Hockey League announced today the cancellation of the 2012 preseason schedule through Sept. 30. In addition, the 2012 Kraft Hockeyville preseason game, scheduled for Oct. 3 in Belleville, Ontario, has been postponed to 2013.
The cancellation of the schedule was necessary because of the absence of a Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NHL Players’ Association and the NHL.
While the Kraft Hockeyville game has been postponed, many of the scheduled celebrations in the winning community of Stirling-Rawdon, Ontario, will proceed as planned beginning on Sept. 30.

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=641879

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#160 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

Anybody else think how much this probably sucks for Nail Yakupov? First year that you're probably gonna play in the NHL, people already listing your name beside Eberle, Hall, and Nugent-Hopkins and then a lockout comes and you have to postpone your dream.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk