• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:24 PM

Ok, the first Wing to sign a deal in Europe is our beloved Pavel Datsyuk, with Ak Bars Kazan of the KHL, terms tbd.

Mlive

I wonder where the rest will end up? We got some hints earlier this week:

Red Wings defenseman Jakub Kindl said he definitely will play in his native Czech Republic, having received offers from a couple of clubs.

Danny Cleary said he and his good buddy, Edmonton Oilers forward Shawn Horcoff, will play somewhere together, like they did in 2004-05 (Mora IK in Sweden), when the NHL season was canceled.

Valtteri Filppula said he plans to play for his former club, Jokerit of SM-liiga in his native Finland.

Niklas Kronwall and Jonathan Ericsson said they might play in one of the lower leagues in their native Sweden. Kronwall also listed Russia and another European league as a possibility.

Goaltender Jimmy Howard hasn't looked into it yet, but said, “I think I'd like to play just to remain sharp.''

Drew Miller and Justin Abdelkader said they're exploring options.

And then we already have three that won't be playing anywhere. Surprisingly, Zetterberg is here to stay and fight for the NHLPA:

Darren Helm and Ian White said they probably won't play anywhere.

Henrik Zetterberg said he won't play anywhere due to his role on the NHLPA's negotiating committee.

Said Zetterberg to the press:

"It's the third lockout in I don't know how many years now. Ever since Bettman came into the league offices, that's been his way to handle the stuff. That's not a fun thing, but that's how he approached this. We've been ready. We're ready to have a fight here."

#2 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:53 PM

I'm glad they're able to play, especially the older guys to keep them sharp but I said yesterday that when the Russians start leaving you know that negotiations aren't going to close quickly. If they thought this would be resolved within the month they probably wouldn't leave.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#3 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

I don't remember who said it, but someone pointed out how a lock-out should be the league's last resort in situations like this. It definitely seems like they've been using it as a first option to push around the NHLPA. I remember when Bettman made the announcement to cancel the season last time, he very clearly stated that the offer they had on the table would have been the best the players would get, and now it's off the table. Then he comes back six years later looking to for a better bargain after the league has had nothing but success. What is wrong with this guy? It shows a real lapse in compassion for the fans. It's one thing to negotiate aggressively, but it's another to take it so far as shutting the game down over and over.

I haven't been overly critical of Bettman over the years because the guy is doing his job by playing hardball and getting done what his employers ask of him. I don't know if it's from Bettman or somewhere else in the chain of command, but it's clear that there is a force out there that generally doesn't understand how much it means to fans to have hockey each year. It makes me think things might be different if the commissioner was born and raised in Canada or another hockey hotbed, and not some dude from Queens who was originally working for the NBA.

Edited by The Nephilim, 16 September 2012 - 02:22 PM.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#4 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

Ok, the first Wing to sign a deal in Europe is our beloved Pavel Datsyuk, with Ak Bars Kazan of the KHL, terms tbd.

Mlive

I wonder where the rest will end up? We got some hints earlier this week:

And then we already have three that won't be playing anywhere. Surprisingly, Zetterberg is here to stay and fight for the NHLPA:

Said Zetterberg to the press:

That's because he is this organisation's next captain. He'll be staying here like Toews, Crosby, etc will...

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#5 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

Toews was linked to a Swiss Elite club named EV ZUG

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#6 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

I like the idea of Filppula playing over in Finland for Jokerit... That means he will be playing with Pulu... great chance for Pulu to learn how to be an NHL'er and train with one... I think that could be a very good thing for him

#7 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:34 PM

Are any players going to just go down and play for Grand Rapids?

#8 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

Got some questions. What are the terms of the deal? 1 year? If its a 1-year deal, and the NHL starts back up in say, November, will Detroit have no Pavel Datsyuk?
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#9 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:56 PM

Got some questions. What are the terms of the deal? 1 year? If its a 1-year deal, and the NHL starts back up in say, November, will Detroit have no Pavel Datsyuk?

I'm going to assume all of these contracts will have out clauses in them if the NHL resumes...
The players wouldnt risk getting stuck in the K if this doesn't last long...

#10 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

#11 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:28 PM

Are any players going to just go down and play for Grand Rapids?

it seems like a logical move, dk why europe is so attractive to some. If they all just went to the AHL it would make it be pretty much like the nhl instead of having all the nhl talent scattered around europe. But I guess they coudl get more money in europe...

Edited by jollymania, 16 September 2012 - 08:29 PM.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#12 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,082 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:09 PM

With his injury troubles, I wish he'd just stay here.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#13 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:41 AM

it seems like a logical move, dk why europe is so attractive to some. If they all just went to the AHL it would make it be pretty much like the nhl instead of having all the nhl talent scattered around europe. But I guess they coudl get more money in europe...

Most of them would be overagers in the AHL and only 4 per team are allowed, also they can make more money in europe while not having to pay such enormous tax fees.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#14 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:22 AM

Well Nyquist is headed to the Griffins according to Aftonbladet.se. Seems like a pretty exhaustive list, at least concerning Swedish players.

EDIT: Figured I'd go ahead and translate what the rest of the DRW players are planning on doing:

Henrik Zetterberg, 31, Detroit Red Wings.
Staying in Detroit for now and working out. Will go to another club at the earliest around Christmas and if it's Sweden the Timrå is the only option.
Niklas Kronwall, 31, Detroit Red Wings.
Will take a couple of weeks to see if the conflict gets resolved. After that he'll play for Djurgården in Sweden to help them get back to the SEL.
Johan Franzén, 32, Detroit Red Wings.
Will continue working out with team mates at the rink they've rented together in Detroit.
Mikael Samuelsson, 35, Detroit Red Wings.
Says that it will take a lot for him to play anywhere else. Wants to be with his family after many years of moves across NA.
Jonathan Ericsson, 28, Detroit Red Wings.
The Swedish Detroit player who seems most eager to play. Even rumored that he might join his old club Vita Hästen in Division 1 (That would be the 3rd tier league in Sweden).
Gustav Nyquist, 23, Detroit Red Wings.
Starts the season with the Grand Rapids Griffins.
Jonas Gustavsson, 27, Detroit Red Wings.
Has not made a decision, continues to work out with new team mates in Detroit.
Tomas Holmström, 39, Detroit Red Wings
Still hasn't decided if he'll continue to play or retire.

Edited by SweWings, 17 September 2012 - 04:28 AM.

#15 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:34 AM

Well for the European players it's a chance to play at home, for the NA players it's a chance to visit some other country they might not really ever have visited (don't underestimate that, change of scenery is a big deal, at least it has been for me). For all players it's a chance to continue playing competitively and to continue making money (for those going to the KHL, a lot of money).

#16 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:10 AM

Toews was linked to a Swiss Elite club named EV ZUG

Well Nyquist is headed to the Griffins according to Aftonbladet.se. Seems like a pretty exhaustive list, at least concerning Swedish players.

EDIT: Figured I'd go ahead and translate what the rest of the DRW players are planning on doing:

Henrik Zetterberg, 31, Detroit Red Wings.
Staying in Detroit for now and working out. Will go to another club at the earliest around Christmas and if it's Sweden the Timrå is the only option.
Niklas Kronwall, 31, Detroit Red Wings.
Will take a couple of weeks to see if the conflict gets resolved. After that he'll play for Djurgården in Sweden to help them get back to the SEL.
Johan Franzén, 32, Detroit Red Wings.
Will continue working out with team mates at the rink they've rented together in Detroit.
Mikael Samuelsson, 35, Detroit Red Wings.
Says that it will take a lot for him to play anywhere else. Wants to be with his family after many years of moves across NA.
Jonathan Ericsson, 28, Detroit Red Wings.
The Swedish Detroit player who seems most eager to play. Even rumored that he might join his old club Vita Hästen in Division 1 (That would be the 3rd tier league in Sweden).
Gustav Nyquist, 23, Detroit Red Wings.
Starts the season with the Grand Rapids Griffins.
Jonas Gustavsson, 27, Detroit Red Wings.
Has not made a decision, continues to work out with new team mates in Detroit.
Tomas Holmström, 39, Detroit Red Wings
Still hasn't decided if he'll continue to play or retire.

Can't remember where I saw it, but apparently players going to the SEL can't come back if the season starts again half-way through. So anyone who signs in the SEL is there for the year, unlike other European countries where they could come back to their teams. Hence why Kronner and Ericsson aren't going for a big Swedish league but going to smaller teams that they have history with. Wonder if this is actually true though as again, can't remember where I saw that?!

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#17 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:44 AM

Looks like the Datsyuk rumors were premature. From Dmitry Chesnokov:

It's pretty official: Datsyuk will NOT play for#KHL's Ak Bars and didn't sign a contract with them, per club officials.

https://twitter.com/...659139034140672

#18 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:22 AM

Can't remember where I saw it, but apparently players going to the SEL can't come back if the season starts again half-way through. So anyone who signs in the SEL is there for the year, unlike other European countries where they could come back to their teams. Hence why Kronner and Ericsson aren't going for a big Swedish league but going to smaller teams that they have history with. Wonder if this is actually true though as again, can't remember where I saw that?!

No NHL players can sign for an SEL team anyway.

#19 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:20 AM

Sad to see Homer go out like this
  • Nev likes this
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#20 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:27 AM

I wonder if Homer knows there is no spot on the roster this year, but thinks if the lockout lasts, he has a chance to make the club next year. I think his time is up, but maybe that's why he has not made a decision yet?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid