• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
evilmrt

Wings to Europe: Tracking which DRW players are playing where

Rate this topic

Ok, the first Wing to sign a deal in Europe is our beloved Pavel Datsyuk, with Ak Bars Kazan of the KHL, terms tbd.

Mlive

I wonder where the rest will end up? We got some hints earlier this week:

Red Wings defenseman Jakub Kindl said he definitely will play in his native Czech Republic, having received offers from a couple of clubs.

Danny Cleary said he and his good buddy, Edmonton Oilers forward Shawn Horcoff, will play somewhere together, like they did in 2004-05 (Mora IK in Sweden), when the NHL season was canceled.
Valtteri Filppula said he plans to play for his former club, Jokerit of SM-liiga in his native Finland.
Niklas Kronwall and Jonathan Ericsson said they might play in one of the lower leagues in their native Sweden. Kronwall also listed Russia and another European league as a possibility.

Goaltender Jimmy Howard hasn't looked into it yet, but said, “I think I'd like to play just to remain sharp.''

Drew Miller and Justin Abdelkader said they're exploring options.

And then we already have three that won't be playing anywhere. Surprisingly, Zetterberg is here to stay and fight for the NHLPA:

Darren Helm and Ian White said they probably won't play anywhere.

Henrik Zetterberg said he won't play anywhere due to his role on the NHLPA's negotiating committee.

Said Zetterberg to the press:

"It's the third lockout in I don't know how many years now. Ever since Bettman came into the league offices, that's been his way to handle the stuff. That's not a fun thing, but that's how he approached this. We've been ready. We're ready to have a fight here."

I'm glad they're able to play, especially the older guys to keep them sharp but I said yesterday that when the Russians start leaving you know that negotiations aren't going to close quickly. If they thought this would be resolved within the month they probably wouldn't leave.

I don't remember who said it, but someone pointed out how a lock-out should be the league's last resort in situations like this. It definitely seems like they've been using it as a first option to push around the NHLPA. I remember when Bettman made the announcement to cancel the season last time, he very clearly stated that the offer they had on the table would have been the best the players would get, and now it's off the table. Then he comes back six years later looking to for a better bargain after the league has had nothing but success. What is wrong with this guy? It shows a real lapse in compassion for the fans. It's one thing to negotiate aggressively, but it's another to take it so far as shutting the game down over and over.

I haven't been overly critical of Bettman over the years because the guy is doing his job by playing hardball and getting done what his employers ask of him. I don't know if it's from Bettman or somewhere else in the chain of command, but it's clear that there is a force out there that generally doesn't understand how much it means to fans to have hockey each year. It makes me think things might be different if the commissioner was born and raised in Canada or another hockey hotbed, and not some dude from Queens who was originally working for the NBA.

Edited by The Nephilim

Ok, the first Wing to sign a deal in Europe is our beloved Pavel Datsyuk, with Ak Bars Kazan of the KHL, terms tbd.

Mlive

I wonder where the rest will end up? We got some hints earlier this week:

And then we already have three that won't be playing anywhere. Surprisingly, Zetterberg is here to stay and fight for the NHLPA:

Said Zetterberg to the press:

That's because he is this organisation's next captain. He'll be staying here like Toews, Crosby, etc will...

Got some questions. What are the terms of the deal? 1 year? If its a 1-year deal, and the NHL starts back up in say, November, will Detroit have no Pavel Datsyuk?

I'm going to assume all of these contracts will have out clauses in them if the NHL resumes...

The players wouldnt risk getting stuck in the K if this doesn't last long...

Are any players going to just go down and play for Grand Rapids?

it seems like a logical move, dk why europe is so attractive to some. If they all just went to the AHL it would make it be pretty much like the nhl instead of having all the nhl talent scattered around europe. But I guess they coudl get more money in europe...

Edited by jollymania

it seems like a logical move, dk why europe is so attractive to some. If they all just went to the AHL it would make it be pretty much like the nhl instead of having all the nhl talent scattered around europe. But I guess they coudl get more money in europe...

Most of them would be overagers in the AHL and only 4 per team are allowed, also they can make more money in europe while not having to pay such enormous tax fees.

Well Nyquist is headed to the Griffins according to Aftonbladet.se. Seems like a pretty exhaustive list, at least concerning Swedish players.

EDIT: Figured I'd go ahead and translate what the rest of the DRW players are planning on doing:

Henrik Zetterberg, 31, Detroit Red Wings.

Staying in Detroit for now and working out. Will go to another club at the earliest around Christmas and if it's Sweden the Timrå is the only option.

Niklas Kronwall, 31, Detroit Red Wings.

Will take a couple of weeks to see if the conflict gets resolved. After that he'll play for Djurgården in Sweden to help them get back to the SEL.

Johan Franzén, 32, Detroit Red Wings.

Will continue working out with team mates at the rink they've rented together in Detroit.

Mikael Samuelsson, 35, Detroit Red Wings.

Says that it will take a lot for him to play anywhere else. Wants to be with his family after many years of moves across NA.

Jonathan Ericsson, 28, Detroit Red Wings.

The Swedish Detroit player who seems most eager to play. Even rumored that he might join his old club Vita Hästen in Division 1 (That would be the 3rd tier league in Sweden).

Gustav Nyquist, 23, Detroit Red Wings.

Starts the season with the Grand Rapids Griffins.

Jonas Gustavsson, 27, Detroit Red Wings.

Has not made a decision, continues to work out with new team mates in Detroit.

Tomas Holmström, 39, Detroit Red Wings

Still hasn't decided if he'll continue to play or retire.

Edited by SweWings

Well for the European players it's a chance to play at home, for the NA players it's a chance to visit some other country they might not really ever have visited (don't underestimate that, change of scenery is a big deal, at least it has been for me). For all players it's a chance to continue playing competitively and to continue making money (for those going to the KHL, a lot of money).

Toews was linked to a Swiss Elite club named EV ZUG

Well Nyquist is headed to the Griffins according to Aftonbladet.se. Seems like a pretty exhaustive list, at least concerning Swedish players.

EDIT: Figured I'd go ahead and translate what the rest of the DRW players are planning on doing:

Henrik Zetterberg, 31, Detroit Red Wings.

Staying in Detroit for now and working out. Will go to another club at the earliest around Christmas and if it's Sweden the Timrå is the only option.

Niklas Kronwall, 31, Detroit Red Wings.

Will take a couple of weeks to see if the conflict gets resolved. After that he'll play for Djurgården in Sweden to help them get back to the SEL.

Johan Franzén, 32, Detroit Red Wings.

Will continue working out with team mates at the rink they've rented together in Detroit.

Mikael Samuelsson, 35, Detroit Red Wings.

Says that it will take a lot for him to play anywhere else. Wants to be with his family after many years of moves across NA.

Jonathan Ericsson, 28, Detroit Red Wings.

The Swedish Detroit player who seems most eager to play. Even rumored that he might join his old club Vita Hästen in Division 1 (That would be the 3rd tier league in Sweden).

Gustav Nyquist, 23, Detroit Red Wings.

Starts the season with the Grand Rapids Griffins.

Jonas Gustavsson, 27, Detroit Red Wings.

Has not made a decision, continues to work out with new team mates in Detroit.

Tomas Holmström, 39, Detroit Red Wings

Still hasn't decided if he'll continue to play or retire.

Can't remember where I saw it, but apparently players going to the SEL can't come back if the season starts again half-way through. So anyone who signs in the SEL is there for the year, unlike other European countries where they could come back to their teams. Hence why Kronner and Ericsson aren't going for a big Swedish league but going to smaller teams that they have history with. Wonder if this is actually true though as again, can't remember where I saw that?!

Can't remember where I saw it, but apparently players going to the SEL can't come back if the season starts again half-way through. So anyone who signs in the SEL is there for the year, unlike other European countries where they could come back to their teams. Hence why Kronner and Ericsson aren't going for a big Swedish league but going to smaller teams that they have history with. Wonder if this is actually true though as again, can't remember where I saw that?!

No NHL players can sign for an SEL team anyway.

Damien brunner is already in Switzerland. He'll play with his former team, EV Zug.

That is only until the AHL season starts. He talked about this in the press recently...just playing a few games for EV Zug and taking care of loose ends in Switzerland, and then playing with the Griffs this season until the lockout ends (if it ends).

“The plan right now is to go back to Switzerland for a couple of weeks and then be back when the American Hockey League season starts, adjust to the small ice and get ready for (Red Wings) training camp,'' Brunner said.

He said if the NHL locks out players on Sept. 15, he'll return to Switzerland and play a couple of games for Zug, his hometown team, and then join the Griffins. He is exempt from waivers, enabling the Red Wings to assign him to the AHL.

“For three weeks there isn't really much to do here,'' Brunner said. “I would rather go back and get a couple of games to get in shape and come over with good confidence level and then get right into it.''

The Griffins season opener is Oct. 12.

Latest Reports over here claim that Brunner will play the whole lockout for the EV Zug. We will see...

wouldn't make that much sense especially with his development. he would be doing himself some justice playing in the ahl while the lockout takes place to transition into the.north american game. it would only hurt him.and his chances of playing in the big show if he were to stay there. just my two cents. sounds.like the kids got his head on his shoulders though and has a really.good attitude. excited to see what he can bring.to the table after his translation to the n/a game