• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Axe

Team or Players?

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

Where does your allegiance lie? If the league were to ban any of the current players from playing in it and get the season up and running tomorrow with the best players it could find otherwise that would play for the right amount of money, would you be happy that the Red Wings were playing? Or are the current set of players the real draw for you? I just want to see the Red Wings playing hockey. I dont care what the lineup looks like.

I wouldn't be happy that the Red Wings were playing, because they wouldn't be.

Guys like Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg and the like are all under contract by the Red Wings. They are Detroit Red Wings hockey players.

Besides, no one can match what Dats does out there. Certainly not some replacement player that couldn't crack the NHL except as a scab.

I think it's both. They both want a % share that is unrealistic. Players want more than any other professional athletes are getting and the owners want them to take less than any other league. They all need to quit crying and split it 50-50. The players make the team but if there was no team these players would be doing something else. It works both ways.

The current Detroit Red Wings core consists of players like Z, Datsyuk, Kronwall, Howy ...so no I wouldn't watch i t because deep in my heart I know" they wouldn't be the Wings. Also watching them would signal the owners:,, "hey we can throw a bunch of players in a jersey and fans are coming back lets add that to our lockout leverage next time and ask them for a 25/75 split" - sorry but I won't bite.

Bring back the current players with a fair deal or screw you!

Overall though yes I agree, it is a combination of team and players.

I agree it's a combination of both the team and the players. For me, my allegiance lies primarily with the team as players come and go over the years, some of whom I follow and some I don't. That being said, if the NHL wanted to ice some sham lockout team and call it the Detroit Red Wings, they can bite me.

The players make the team.

It's not Detroit hockey if it isn't the Grind Line, the Russian Five, or The Captain Himself, Stevie Y.

Try to replace the Production Line! I dare you!

Yeah, the players make the team, but the team changes as players come and go. If new guys were brought in all at once, it would be a shock to the system, but they would still be the guys in the Winged Wheel.

Just curious, could an option like this seriously be considered at any point? Like legally? I vaguely remember this coming up during the last lockout too. Could the NHL establish a relationship with another player's association at a bargain price and try to lure the talented players into the new union under their rules? It would be suicide for the NHL and would probably make the KHL the premiere league at least temporarily, but just wondering if it could ever be a legitimate threat by the owners.

point is, lets say the "real" players are never asked back and then the "replacement" players would be the "Real" Detroit Red Wings....I'd still root for the Red Wings...

Just curious, could an option like this seriously be considered at any point? Like legally? I vaguely remember this coming up during the last lockout too. Could the NHL establish a relationship with another player's association at a bargain price and try to lure the talented players into the new union under their rules? It would be suicide for the NHL and would probably make the KHL the premiere league at least temporarily, but just wondering if it could ever be a legitimate threat by the owners.

It could happen, but I would almost guarantee the "NEW" players would NOT be part of any Union...

point is, lets say the "real" players are never asked back and then the "replacement" players would be the "Real" Detroit Red Wings....I'd still root for the Red Wings...

It could happen, but I would almost guarantee the "NEW" players would NOT be part of any Union...

I honestly don't know that I would, because my favorite team would have screwed over so many of my favorite players.

I like the NHL because it is the premier hockey league in the world, comprised of the very best players on the planet. I love the Wings as my hometown team, but if they're not drawing from that pool of the best players, it wouldn't be the same. If the AHL and NHL swapped players, I'd become an AHL fan. I'd miss the history and reputation of the Wings, but I'd be buying Griffins merchandise. 3 hours isn't that long a drive either...