• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Johnz96

Who is the Best Russian the Wings Have Ever Had?

Rate this topic

Best All-Time Russian Red Wing  

120 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I love Dats and I think he is one of the best current players in the world, But I remember how much speed and power Feds had still. He could change/win games in a moment. The guy was amazing as is Dats, but of the two I def have to give it to Fedorov.

We've all seen the jaw-dropping things Dats can do, but for those who are too young or don't remember, here's some pretty good highlights from Fedorov.

To me the one thing that Fedorov could do that I've yet to see Pavel do consistently is power through with guys all over him. We've all seen Pavel make a quick cut, a quick dangle and leave the defence in there tracks.

I have to say thought as much as I admire Datsyuk when two or more players swarm him and play him tight he struggles at times to make things happen. No doubt one on one the guy is rarely stopped. Pavel needs space, where Fedorov just needed the damn puck.

Fedorov might not of been as flash as often as Datsyuk but when he tried he was strong enough to power through multiple defenders in ways Datsyuk just couldn't do. Fedorov scored with guys all over him.

How awesome would it have been to have them both in there prime at the same time in the winged wheel? It would have been magic out there......

I agree harold, if I was forced to choose it would be Feds 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

To me, it isn't even close and it's not a knock on Datsyuk, I just think Fedorov was that good.

I can understand why this board has closer voting than I would have expected though. I wonder how much of Fedorov's career those who voted for Datsyuk saw. I have been able to see pretty much every game both of these guys have played in the NHL and a lot internationally as well and while Fedorov declined in the later stages of his career, he was unbelievable in his prime.

I couldn't vote between the two (Federov and Datsyuk). Looking at stats, Fedorov should win, thinking about which player gives me goosebumps with the things he does, Datsyuk wins. I'm calling it a tie.

Guest Crymson

The Wings have had the good fortune to have two superlative Russian players. Fedorov was without a doubt the more dominant and dynamic player. Datsyuk is, arguably, a better player defensively, and he does have better hands, but is not the equal of Fedorov in the latter's prime. I only wish that we could have seen both of them play together at their peaks.

To me the one thing that Fedorov could do that I've yet to see Pavel do consistently is power through with guys all over him.

Is that a function of the crackdown on obstruction though? And the flip side of that is that Pavel can out-deke guys standing still. Anyway, I don't think thats the only thing Fedorov could do that Pavel can't - Sergei had a terrific slap-shot and a blistering one-timer. Maybe some-one can find a youtube video to prove me wrong, but I can't ever remember Pavel taking a cross ice pass on the blue line and one-timing a 90mph slap-shot into the top corner.

Is that a function of the crackdown on obstruction though? And the flip side of that is that Pavel can out-deke guys standing still. Anyway, I don't think thats the only thing Fedorov could do that Pavel can't - Sergei had a terrific slap-shot and a blistering one-timer. Maybe some-one can find a youtube video to prove me wrong, but I can't ever remember Pavel taking a cross ice pass on the blue line and one-timing a 90mph slap-shot into the top corner.

This is true, but there are still times when other teams double up on Dats and take away his space to the point they basically shut him down. My point was Feds is more athletic and stronger and had the ability to power through guys, where Dats has to out deke them or he isn't going anywhere.

I agree about your other points as well, Feds could do it all, his only limitation was his lack of desire at times. I didn't mean to imply that was the ONLY thing that separated them.

To me no one ever shut fedorov down, there where just games it seemed he simply didn't give a damn.

Edited by cupcrazy

Guest Crymson

I remember Pavel last taking a slapshot in December of 2007.

This is not at all a knock on Datsyuk, who is my favorite active player hands down by 12 country miles, but Fedorov was better in his prime. I've heard some say that Datsyuk is a great defensive forward (he is, and the Selkes back it up), that his stickhandling skills are par none (they are) and that he just brings straight up sex appeal to the on ice game (he does as well -- dude is slick).

The thing is, if you can come up with an adjective or description of a good skater in hockey, Fedorov matches that description (to my knowledge, he never played goalie, thus me saying "skater"). Want a power forward? Check. Need speed and energy? Gotcha, boss. Want a top forward shut down? Not a problem. Penalty killed? P'shaw. Need someone to dish? Yeah, we can do that. Shots from the point? Snipe? Check? Just need me to intimidate the entire other team with how much better I am at the game than all of you? No sweat. See you next shift.

The man's double helixes were made of hockey sticks.

Pasha is an incredible talent, and a great role model...but Fedorov was the better hockey player.

I voted Dats, the kicker his attitude. Feds was one of the most electric players on the ice, the way he skated was unparalleled, he could pass, score and win selke trophies. However he had a bad attitude and was kind of a hot dog, certainly more off ice then on. All of these issues were all part of his demise here. Still one of my favorite Wings, top 3 even but Datsyuk get the nod from me being a pure class act.

Guest Crymson

You sure that wasn't practice? :hockey:

Not a game, not a game, not a game... we talkin' about practice.

It was a game against the Dallas Stars. And he once scored a late third-period goal against the Blue Jackets with a full slapshot.

I voted Dats, the kicker his attitude. Feds was one of the most electric players on the ice, the way he skated was unparalleled, he could pass, score and win selke trophies. However he had a bad attitude and was kind of a hot dog, certainly more off ice then on. All of these issues were all part of his demise here. Still one of my favorite Wings, top 3 even but Datsyuk get the nod from me being a pure class act.

Yeah, Fedorov did have his prima donna side. Amongst other things, he held out for nearly an entire season for a bigger contract, wore those obnoxious white skates for awhile, and refused to play defense even when he could have been better used on the back end. And then came his acrimonious and completely unnecessary split with the team that had nabbed him from Russia and made him part of the family for 13 years. I can't imagine Datsyuk ever doing anything like these.

Not a game, not a game, not a game... we talkin' about practice.

It was a game against the Dallas Stars. And he once scored a late third-period goal against the Blue Jackets with a full slapshot.

Yeah, Fedorov did have his prima donna side. Amongst other things, he held out for nearly an entire season for a bigger contract, wore those obnoxious white skates for awhile, and refused to play defense even when he could have been better used on the back end. And then came his acrimonious and completely unnecessary split with the team that had nabbed him from Russia and made him part of the family for 13 years. I can't imagine Datsyuk ever doing anything like these.

White skates are cool

Apart from when he signed a big money contract in Russia, which at one point looked like it was binding and he might not be coming back to Detroit.

Guest Crymson

Apart from when he signed a big money contract in Russia, which at one point looked like it was binding and he might not be coming back to Detroit.

A big-money contract? He signed a one-year contract with Avangard Omsk. He'd not have been in the RSL at all if not for the lockout, and he had repeatedly stated his desire to continue playing for the Red Wings. As for the contract itself, there was no transfer agreement between the NHL and the RSL, and so there was never anything to prevent him from playing for the Wings anyway; and most likely he signed the contract as a hedge against not being able to reach an agreeable contract with the Wings. After he and the Wings reached an agreement on a contract, he was on his way back to the team immediately. There was no funny business of any sort throughout the entire affair.

Completely incomparable situations.

Edited by Crymson

Guest The Axe

One thing EVERYBODY always overlooks is durability. I love it when people comment on Feds taking games off or not caring. The real truth of the matter is that Fedorov was money in the playoffs, and his stats prove that. He was money 90% of the regular season and got shut down 10% of the time. But he always played. Guy was a horse and his conditioning was always superb. He rarely got injured because of this. Not getting injured because you're big, prepare, and play smart and with your head up is a huge bonus that often gets overlooked.

None of which makes a difference in answering the question...."who's the better player?"

Edited by toby91_ca

I voted for Fetisov....He's arguably one of the best Russians to ever play the game....he came here at the tail end of his career so he wasn't in his prime when he was with us, but if the question is "who is the best player?" and were looking at their whole career, not just with the wings, its gotta be Fetisov. Fetisov is often grouped along side guys like Kharlamov and Tretiak.

if were looking only at time with the wings it's Feds hands down. Id put Feds as a very close second to Fetisov thou, even when looking at whole careers.

If only the impaler hadnt gone down....i could see him becoming one of the best D-men of all time, and possibly better than all the other names here. his defensive abilities were out of this world to say the least. Lidstroms positioning meets Kronners hitting

Edited by number9

I voted for Fetisov....He's arguably one of the best Russians to ever play the game....he came here at the tail end of his career so he wasn't in his prime when he was with us, but if the question is "who is the best player?" and were looking at their whole career, not just with the wings, its gotta be Fetisov. Fetisov is often grouped along side guys like Kharlamov and Tretiak.

if were looking only at time with the wings it's Feds hands down. Id put Feds as a very close second to Fetisov thou, even when looking at whole careers.

If only the impaler hadnt gone down....i could see him becoming one of the best D-men of all time, and possibly better than all the other names here. his defensive abilities were out of this world to say the least. Lidstroms positioning meets Kronners hitting

I had a similar thought, but decided the OP meant only time with the Wings. Even if we're looking at their entire careers, though, I still might've given the nod to Fedorov -- I'm just not sure, especially having seen far more of Fedorov in his prime than Fetisov. Either way, it would've been a much tighter decision. Festisov certainly did more for the game of hockey.

Regarding Vladdy, I'd reword your statement slightly. Konstantinov's positioning was amazing, but he was no Lidstrom...no one is or ever has been. Vladdy's hitting far surpassed Kronner's, though. There wasn't a forward in the game who wasn't afraid to enter his zone because #16 made each and every one of them pay the price for it.

I had a similar thought, but decided the OP meant only time with the Wings. Even if we're looking at their entire careers, though, I still might've given the nod to Fedorov -- I'm just not sure, especially having seen far more of Fedorov in his prime than Fetisov. Either way, it would've been a much tighter decision. Festisov certainly did more for the game of hockey.

Regarding Vladdy, I'd reword your statement slightly. Konstantinov's positioning was amazing, but he was no Lidstrom...no one is or ever has been. Vladdy's hitting far surpassed Kronner's, though. There wasn't a forward in the game who wasn't afraid to enter his zone because #16 made each and every one of them pay the price for it.

I think Vlad is one of the only non-legendary players that you can even compare to Lidstrom, positioning wise. Lidstroms positioning is indeed better though. Vladdy got more done with fear and intimidation, whereas Lids got it all done with vision and smarts.

Vlad is definitely the better hitter though....arguably the best ever...i'd put kronners in the top10 best hitters though

Fedorov was one of the most complete players ever. Not just on the Wings, in the history of the NHL.

As mentioned above, laser shot, ridiculous speed, and good enough defensively to make Bowman say that he could have won the Norris. On top of all that great passing, aim, and could occasionally throw his weight around.

I love Datsyuk, but Fedorov was a whole different kind of special.

Fedorov was one of the most complete players ever. Not just on the Wings, in the history of the NHL.

As mentioned above, laser shot, ridiculous speed, and good enough defensively to make Bowman say that he could have won the Norris. On top of all that great passing, aim, and could occasionally throw his weight around.

I love Datsyuk, but Fedorov was a whole different kind of special.

Shooting: Federov

Passing: Even

Dekes: Datsyuk

Physicality: Federov

Defense: Even

Skating: Federov

Class: Datsyuk

Edge: Feds