• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Johnz96

Who is the Best Russian the Wings Have Ever Had?

Rate this topic

Best All-Time Russian Red Wing  

120 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Johnz96

I'm old enough to have watched Steve Yzerman play his first season as captain. Like I said initially, I've seen the careers of both Fedorov and Datsyuk. And Fedorov was a more dominant player.

As for your claims about league scoring:

In 1990, Fedorov didn't play in the NHL, so that season doesn't really matter.

In 2006 scoring was 6.176 goals per game, in 2007 it was 5.89, in 2009 it was 5.83, so it hasn't always been "well under" 6 goals since then.

In 1995 scoring was 5.97 goals per game. In 2006 it was 6.17.

1997 was about equal to 2007

1998, 99, 02, 03, and 04 scoring was lower than it ever has been since the lockout.

Like I said, the years where scoring was dramatically different between their two eras is from 1991 to 1994. 4 seasons. And Fedorov spent 7 seasons of his prime playing in an era where scoring was significantly lower than anything Datsyuk has played in. These last two seasons have been approaching the two higher years of the dead puck era.

I can understand having the opinion that Datsyuk was the better player, but it doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about just because I disagree with you.

And more than just scoring, I'm basing it on watching them play in their respective eras. As I said earlier, Fedorov took over games in ways Datsyuk has only shown flashes of.

EDIT: another source I found about average NHL goals by season has the numbers are slightly lower for each season than what I stated but are still the same relative to each year. Everything is just adjusted slightly downward.

90-91 was his first season.

He got to play on 6 seasons where goals a game averaged 6 or more (his first 6 seasons), he scored more points in those 6 years (529 in 432 games) than he did in the next 7(405 in 476) with the Wings, as the goalie equipment grew goals dropped for everybody. Fedorov only had one season (out of 7 with the Wings and he was only 32 his last year with the Wings and 6 others so 1 in 13 years in which the averaged less than 6 goals a game did Fedorov average a point a game) in which he scored a point a game, when the league averaged less than 6 goals a game, Datsyuk has scored at least a point a game 5 out of his 10 seasons and the league averaged less than 6 goals a game in every one of them. Datsyuk has also been ripped off by Bettman for a whole season in his prime and going on a second.

When it comes to stats there really should be an asterisk denoting playing when bettman was commissioner and for how many years. Fedorov was fortunate enough to have played before Bettman and before all his changes were put into effect

Guest Johnz96

Neat story. Go ahead a remove the first FIVE (in 1995 ppg was actually lower than some of the seasons Datsyuk has played in) seasons from Fedorov's goals, assists, and points totals and he's still a more prolific scorer for the remainder of his career. Remove roughly one third of his career and pretend it never even happened and he still scored more than Datsyuk has. Leave those same seasons in, but reduce the numbers by about .50 pts per game and he's WAY out front.

I'd recommend you ready Harold's post above...twice. From 1991-1994 ppg was higher than post lockout. 1995 was lower, 96 higher, 97 the same (roughly), and 98, 99, 2002, 2003, 2004 lower than they've been in 50 years.

No matter how you cut it your argument rests on nothing. Several people have already proved your "goals against was higher during Fedorov's career" hyperbole wrong, and so you're now resting this absurd argument on the already tenuous premise that if you exclude the most productive seasons of Fedorov's career then his numbers aren't as good as Datsyuk's, which would dubious even if it were true...but alas, like most good pipe dreams, it's simply a figment of your imagination.

First of all I don't know if you mean 94-95 or 95 -96, in either case there was a lot more scoring than any of the years datsyuk has played 94-95 5.97 (basically 6) and 95-96 6.29. the league has never averaged anywhere close to 6 goals a game since Datsyuk has been in it

90-91 was his first season.

He got to play on 6 seasons where goals a game averaged 6 or more (his first 6 seasons), he scored more points in those 6 years (529 in 432 games) than he did in the next 7(405 in 476) with the Wings, as the goalie equipment grew goals dropped for everybody. Fedorov only had one season (out of 7 with the Wings and he was only 32 his last year with the Wings and 6 others so 1 in 13 years in which the averaged less than 6 goals a game did Fedorov average a point a game) in which he scored a point a game, when the league averaged less than 6 goals a game, Datsyuk has scored at least a point a game 5 out of his 10 seasons and the league averaged less than 6 goals a game in every one of them. Datsyuk has also been ripped off by Bettman for a whole season in his prime and going on a second.

When it comes to stats there really should be an asterisk denoting playing when bettman was commissioner and for how many years. Fedorov was fortunate enough to have played before Bettman and before all his changes were put into effect

NO...HE...DIDN'T. Of his first 6 seasons 1991-1997, both 1995 and 1997 were below 6 goals per game. Go back to the link YOU provided on the last page and double check.

Actually, here's the link. THE VERY SAME ONE YOU PROVIDED ON PAGE ONE. Look at 1995 and 1997.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=97918

Edited by kipwinger

I suppose you could say it's apples and oranges due to the time frame they both played in, but I have to vote for Pasha. Until he came along, I can honestly say I've never seen another player who could make my jaw hit the floor with frequency. He does it with alarming consistency. He's a sight to behold. I never felt that way watching Fedorov - he left me cold.

Fedorov left you cold? Were you watching his brother or Sergei? 91 of the Red Wings was electrifying.

This isn't the best argument because Datsyuk was still developing then, but pre-lockout Datsyuk used to try to deke his way through guys and come up short. I distinctly remember thinking he had skills but was overambitious. Back then as soon as he made a move, guys were latched on and watersking. So in a way his style is more suited for the current NHL. Fedorov had finess that transcended even the clutch and grab era.

First of all I don't know if you mean 94-95 or 95 -96, in either case there was a lot more scoring than any of the years datsyuk has played 94-95 5.97 (basically 6) and 95-96 6.29. the league has never averaged anywhere close to 6 goals a game since Datsyuk has been in it

You've mentioned that a couple times now and it's not true.

Datsyuk played in 2006 when the average goals per game was 6.05 or 6.17, depending on the source.

In 2009 and 2010 the average goals per game was 5.83 and 5.68. Both of those are fairly close to 6.

Also, in 98, 99, 02, 03, and especially 04, the average goals per game was lower than any season Datsyuk has played in.

You're overstating the goal scoring discrepancy between the two eras. Like I said before, the biggest years of difference were 91-94. Otherwise it's pretty much a wash.

1. I didn't realize we rounded when citing statistics, how convenient for your argument 2. Goals per game was above 6 in 2005-2006 when Datsyuk had the first of his back to back 87 pt seasons.

Edited by kipwinger

Guest Johnz96

I'm old enough to have watched Steve Yzerman play his first season as captain. Like I said initially, I've seen the careers of both Fedorov and Datsyuk. And Fedorov was a more dominant player.

As for your claims about league scoring:

In 1990, Fedorov didn't play in the NHL, so that season doesn't really matter.

In 2006 scoring was 6.176 goals per game, in 2007 it was 5.89, in 2009 it was 5.83, so it hasn't always been "well under" 6 goals since then.

In 1995 scoring was 5.97 goals per game. In 2006 it was 6.17.

1997 was about equal to 2007

1998, 99, 02, 03, and 04 scoring was lower than it ever has been since the lockout.

Like I said, the years where scoring was dramatically different between their two eras is from 1991 to 1994. 4 seasons. And Fedorov spent 7 seasons of his prime playing in an era where scoring was significantly lower than anything Datsyuk has played in. These last two seasons have been approaching the two higher years of the dead puck era.

I can understand having the opinion that Datsyuk was the better player, but it doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about just because I disagree with you.

And more than just scoring, I'm basing it on watching them play in their respective eras. As I said earlier, Fedorov took over games in ways Datsyuk has only shown flashes of.

EDIT: another source I found about average NHL goals by season has the numbers are slightly lower for each season than what I stated but are still the same relative to each year. Everything is just adjusted slightly downward.

Fedorov rookie year was 90-91.

In the chart that was posted earlier in this thread it had 05-06 as 6.05 but that includes goals awarded to shoot out winning teams that weren't actually scored and counted as part of a [layer's stats.

All I was trying to say that during Fedorov seasons as a Wing there was more goal scoring because he played 6 years before the goalie equipment was allowed to get really big. If you average the league' average goals per game during Fedorov's tenure with the Wings, it would be about a goal more than the average goals scored per game during Datsyuk's NHL career. Overall it was easier to score during Fedorov's time in the NHL than it has been during Datsyuk's. If you don't believe me do the math add up the avg goals per NHL game in every year Fedorov played in with the Wings and divide it by 13 and do the same for Datsyuk and divide it by 10, I don't have to, I can tell you just by looking at it there is about 1 more goal a game while Fedorov played for the Wings.

Datsyuk has also been ripped off by Bettman for a whole season in his prime and going on a second.

The bolded section I agree with. Though Fedorov missed a half season because of the lockout as well 94. Then more than half a season due to his holdout in 98.

Feds played the early part of his career in the high scoring era, but also played a good chunk of it in the clutch and grab era.

Guest Johnz96

1. I didn't realize we rounded when citing statistics, how convenient for your argument 2. Goals per game was above 6 in 2005-2006 when Datsyuk had the first of his back to back 87 pt seasons.

6.05 also included goals awarded to teams for winning in a shootout. Those goals don't cont on player's stats

Continuing to say this doesn't make it true.

And you've also ignored the multiple seasons Fedorov played in where scoring was much lower than the post lockout

NHL.

Here's the source I'm referring to, where goals are calculated by the goals awarded to players, not by game. So there is no inflation due to the shootout.

http://www.quanthock...erGame.php#Calc

6.05 also included goals awarded to teams for winning in a shootout. Those goals don't cont on player's stats

No it does not.

According to the source it's calculated by individual player statistics and does not include the tie breaking shootout goal.

Guest Johnz96

The bolded section I agree with. Though Fedorov missed a half season because of the lockout as well 94. Then more than half a season due to his holdout in 98.

Feds played the early part of his career in the high scoring era, but also played a good chunk of it in the clutch and grab era.

Bottom line the league averaged about a goal a game more during Fedorov's career with the Wings than they did during Datsyuk's career so far.

Fedorov wasn't nearly as good without the Wings and nowhere near as productive as Datsyuk so we won't even count them and the thread is best Russian Wings anyway

Haha, perfect. Of course you realize that shootout goals, which don't benefit Datyuk's stat line, also don't inflate Fedorov's right? It's a moot point, neither of those players stats were affected by the shoot out.

Guest Johnz96

Haha, perfect. Of course you realize that shootout goals, which don't benefit Datyuk's stat line, also don't inflate Fedorov's right? It's a moot point, neither of those players stats were affected by the shoot out.

They didn't have the shootout for a lot of Fedorov's career.

If you do the math you will see that the NHL averaged almost a goal more per game during Fedorov's time with the Wings

Edited by Johnz96

They didn't have the shootout for a lot of Fedorov's career.

If you do the math you will see that the NHL averaged almost a goal more per game during Fedorov's time with the Wings

Ok, will do. You provide me a link which shows the number of goals scored from 1990/1991 through 2002/2003 (to determine Fedorov's stats) and another which gives the goals from 2001-2002 to 2011-2012 (to determine Datsyuk's) and I'll do the math right here.

Guest Johnz96

Ok, will do. You provide me a link which shows the number of goals scored from 1990/1991 through 2002/2003 (to determine Fedorov's stats) and another which gives the goals from 2001-2002 to 2011-2012 (to determine Datsyuk's) and I'll do the math right here.

All you need is this. http://www.quanthock...erGame.php#Calc

Add up the average goals score per game during Fedorov's 13 years with the Wings and divide them by 13 and then add up the avg goals per game during Datsyuk's 10 yrs with the Wings and divide them by 10.

I would but I gotta git goin

Edited by Johnz96

Guest Crymson

I have to give the edge to Fedorov due to his flair

office-space-flair.png

I believe the minimum amount is 37 pieces

Don't you want to express yourself?

Guest Johnz96

Add up the average goals score per game during Fedorov's 13 years with the Wings and divide them by 13 and then add up the avg goals per game during Datsyuk's 10 yrs with the Wings and divide them by 10.

By the a goal a game difference is a total of 1260 goals divided by 30 teams is 42 goal. Since Detroit has most often been a top 5 goal scoring team in most of the years that Fedorov or Datsyuk have played you can easily bump that up to 50. Fedorov and Datsyuk are in on more than a third of the Wings' goals so a goal a game difference in league scoring adds to about a 17 point difference for Fedorov or Datsyuk.

Another way to compare their stats and factor in the larger goalie equipment now is how many times were they top3, top5, top 10, and top 20. I think statistically considering the goalie equipment Datsyuk will have a slight advantage even though Fedorov had better teammates in the pre cap days

But I think the biggest advantage Datsyuk has is as a leader. I know he is a quiet but he sets an example of how to conduct oneself with class on and off the ice and he works hard to be the best he can be, one of the best conditioned athletes in the league he has made his deficiencies his strengths. His first year in the NHl he was weak and skinny and easily knocked off the puck (I loved watching him make plays as he was falling or sprawled out on the ice) terrible on face-offs (he won less than 40% of his face-offs his rookie year). He is the shiftiest most fun to watch hockey player I have ever seen

I am very surprised by the poll results, I thought he would walk away with it

Again, you show me where to find the total number of goals scored league wide during Fedorov's Wings career, and then Datsyuk's and we'll do it. I cannot for the life of me, find one reputable list of all the goals scored from 90/91 until 02/03, and from 01/02 to 11/12.

Also, you wouldn't divide it by 13 as that would give you a goals per year total, not a goals per game total. You'd need to know how many games where played during Fedorov's Wings career and divide the total goals by that. But I'm fairly sure you just misspoke there.

Guest Johnz96

Again, you show me where to find the total number of goals scored league wide during Fedorov's Wings career, and then Datsyuk's and we'll do it. I cannot for the life of me, find one reputable list of all the goals scored from 90/91 until 02/03, and from 01/02 to 11/12.

Also, you wouldn't divide it by 13 as that would give you a goals per year total, not a goals per game total. You'd need to know how many games where played during Fedorov's Wings career and divide the total goals by that. But I'm fairly sure you just misspoke there.

I did the math in the 13 yrs that Fedorov played for the Wings the NHL averaged 6.094 goals a game in the 10 that Datsyuk has played so far the NHL averaged 5.494 goals per game a 0.6 difference or 738 goals per year divided by 30 teams =24.6 pump iy up to 30 because Detroit scores a lot more than the average team and because Datsyuk and Fedorov factor in in about 1/3 of the Wings goals, Fedorov should average 10 points more per season than Datsyuk to be equal factoring in the difference made by the goalie equipment. I will figure those averages shortly

In 13 seasons with the Wings, Fedorov was in the top 20 scorers 3x ( 93-94 he was 2nd, 95-96 he was 9th, and 02-03 he was 12th)

In 10 seasons with the Wings, Datsyuk was in the top 20 scorers 4x (05-06 he was 17th, 06-07, he was 15th 07-08 he was 4th and 08-09 he was 4th)

Slight edge Datsyuk statistically. But when you factor in better teammates for Fedorov in the cap free days and the fact that Datsyuk has won 3 Selkes to 2 for Fedorov and Datsyuk's class, quiet leadership, i really can't believe that there is any question

Guest Johnz96

I did the math in the 13 yrs that Fedorov played for the Wings the NHL averaged 6.094 goals a game in the 10 that Datsyuk has played so far the NHL averaged 5.494 goals per game a 0.6 difference or 738 goals per year divided by 30 teams =24.6 pump iy up to 30 because Detroit scores a lot more than the average team and because Datsyuk and Fedorov factor in in about 1/3 of the Wings goals, Fedorov should average 10 points more per season than Datsyuk to be equal factoring in the difference made by the goalie equipment. I will figure those averages shortly

In 13 seasons with the Wings, Fedorov was in the top 20 scorers 3x ( 93-94 he was 2nd, 95-96 he was 9th, and 02-03 he was 12th)

In 10 seasons with the Wings, Datsyuk was in the top 20 scorers 4x (05-06 he was 17th, 06-07, he was 15th 07-08 he was 4th and 08-09 he was 4th)

Slight edge Datsyuk statistically. But when you factor in better teammates for Fedorov in the cap free days and the fact that Datsyuk has won 3 Selkes to 2 for Fedorov and Datsyuk's class, quiet leadership, i really can't believe that there is any question

Fedorov scored 954 points in 908 games with the Wings averaging 1.05 points per game or 86.1 points over 82 gmes

Datsyuk has scored 718 points in 732 games averaging 0.98 points per game or 80.43 over 82 games. Add 10 points per season to Datsyuk for the bigger goalie equipment difference and he is slightly ahead of Fedorov and you don't even need to factor any difference for goaltending equipment if you include Fed with other teams Datsyuk has a higher NHL PPG than Fedorov

Edited by Johnz96

Guest irishock

Offensively as a whole- Even

Defensively- Pavel

Goal Scoring- Feds

Set up man- Pavel

Skater- Feds

Being an unselfish non-****** that won't be demanding a huge contract deal with a new CBA coming up that could bring a salary cap- Pavs

Guest Johnz96

Fedorov.

Just better numbers for both regular season and playoffs in a Wings uniform.

As slick and crafty as Datsyuk is, he doesn't have the speed or shot that Fedorov had. Sergei was more of a physical specimen and more of a star player to me.

He had better numbers in his first 6 seasons because goalie equipment was smaller but as goalie equipment ballooned Fedorov's numbers dropped. Kelly Kisio has better numbers is he also better? Pierre Turgeon has better numbers than Fedorov. You can't compare today's numbers to numbers in the past because they use to have so much more net to shoot at.

Datsyuk doesn't have the speed, size or shot of Samuelsson