• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jedi

Greatest Red Wing Alum of all time

Rate this topic

To help pass the time during the lockout, the Detroit Red Wings and Farmers Insurance are hosting a bracket style vote with the fans voting on the greatest Red Wing Alum of all time.

Each day, the fans will vote on one matchup between two players (32 total players). The bracket, shown below, is up on the Wings Twitter and Facebook pages.

Should be interesting to see who the fans vote as the greatest.

388790_10151089896384139_1516185219_n.jpg

Holy crap. Some of those match-ups are hardly fair and others are too close to call. I think it stands to reason that whomever gets paired with Yzerman is screwed. Imagine me voting against Murph!

Mickey Redmond v Igor Larionov today, tougher than I thought. Larionov was clearly a better player overall, won 3 cups with Detroit and also scored one of the most iconic goals in RW history. But Redmond was a very good player on a very bad Wings team, but furthermore, and perhaps more importantly, has gone on to be the voice of the Redwings.

Guest Johnz96

Fans will obviously vote for Yzerman, because the twitter people are too young to remember Gordie Howe or what he did for the franchise and the NHL in general.

I'm too young too.

I've been a Wings fans since 77. Dale Mccourt gave me an autographed stick after a game in the 77 OHL playoffs, he went on to lead my hometown Hamilton Fincups to their second consecutive Memorial Cup championship. The wings drafted him 1st over all and he led them in scoring as an 18 yr old. He never lived up to expectations however. I heard rumors that it was because he became an alcoholic. But I remained a Wings fan and went through some lean years.

Yzerman would have to be the greatest wing alum that I have seen

Edited by Johnz96

Guest irishock

No way Howe beats Yzerman. Sorry. Nobody would say that Wilt is the GOAT, not Michael.

Edited by irishock

I expect it to come down to Stevie versus Lidas

Impossible for 2 reasons:

1) Lidas does not exist :lol:

2) Seriously though, typo aside, Yzerman and Lidstrom could only meet in the semis, not the finals.

Shanny vs. Fedorov is a good second round matchup

Impossible for 2 reasons:

1) Lidas does not exist :lol:

2) Seriously though, typo aside, Yzerman and Lidstrom could only meet in the semis, not the finals.

Shanny vs. Fedorov is a good second round matchup

Look at the bracket again. Lidstrom and Yzerman are in different "conferences" (so to speak), so it's definitely possible for them to face off in the finals. Whoever designed the bracket did an odd job of it, with the finals lines above and below the Farmers Insurance logo, rather than on opposite ends of it to the left and right.

Look at the bracket again. Lidstrom and Yzerman are in different "conferences" (so to speak), so it's definitely possible for them to face off in the finals. Whoever designed the bracket did an odd job of it, with the finals lines above and below the Farmers Insurance logo, rather than on opposite ends of it to the left and right.

Yeah, I see that now, it originally looked like you would get a winner from the Yzerman bracket take on the winner from the Lidstrom bracket...the winner of which would be in the final against the winner between the Lindsay and Howe brackets.

I'll be interested to see the results from Lidstrom vs. Howe as I assume that is what it will come to in the semis. My guess is the Lidstrom would win because of population likely to be voting on this.

For me this is a two horse race.

Stevie and Gordie.

My eyes lean towards Stevie, but Gordie was Mr Red Wing for many many years before Stevie even put the Winged Wheel on.

My final 4 based on those brackets would be

Yzerman Vs. Feds /Lindsay(the man doesn't get the credit he deserves)

Howe Vs. Lidstrom/Abel (this one is a close one for me but I go with Lids due to seeing him play)

I'll be interested to see the results from Lidstrom vs. Howe as I assume that is what it will come to in the semis. My guess is the Lidstrom would win because of population likely to be voting on this.

I think you're exactly right. Since the voting is done on Facebook and Twitter, the generation that would vote for Gordie Howe are going to be at a natural disadvantage, because they don't use social media.

My guess, Yzerman vs Lidstrom in the finals, with Stevie taking the title. Regardless of who SHOULD BE in the finals, I just don't see the online voting panning out in any other way.

Guest irishock

Some of the facebook comments..... wow.

"Shouldn't even make a tournament because Gordie automatically wins this"? That's just downright disrespectful to Yzerman and Lidstrom. Well, most of 'em are fairweather fans anyways.

Edited by irishock

Round 2 is officially underway. The updated bracket is as follows...

A4srsb8CYAAxYz8.png

It's easy to see that the voting method (Facebook, Twitter), which is designed to impact younger members of the Red Wings' fanbase, is taking its toll on the members of the previous Red Wings generations. For instance, Delvecchio getting beat by Kris Draper? And call it sentimentality, but I disagree with Chelios beating Konstantinov.

I'm almost as big of an Osgood fan as a Kronwall fan, but over Kelly? I have to wonder if it was close or if the fans are so young that they don't know who Kelly was. Draper over Delvecchio makes me think it's the latter.