• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Z Winged Dangler

Brunner May Play for Zug, not in GR during lockout

Rate this topic

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/09/red_wings_damien_brunner_might.html

As per MLIve Wings article, Brunner may be heading back to play for his old team in the Swiss League. His old team seems to want him to come back cause there's a lockout, but it would greatly benefit him to play for GR to get accustomed to the NA game and the smaller ice surface and he even stated that himseld. I for one really wanted to stream a few GR games and hopefully see a top line of Nyquist-Sheahan-Brunner and Tatar on the 2nd line with Jurco if he's on GR this year.

Very disappointing, I'm sure Kenny is pissed. Brunner SAID to the press that he would come back, and now this is looking like one of our many euro prospects deciding to play in Europe instead.

Still, he will have some good players joining him if he does stay. Thornton, Nash, Spezza, Couture, Seguin, Ennis, and others have jumped to the Swiss league this week.

I'm not sure that Zug has a leg to stand on with this. As rrasco pointed out, he signed a two way contract, which stipulates that he could possibly be sent to a league other than the NHL. (Note, that only means he gets paid differently, a two-way contract in no way affects his waiver requirements).

If there were no lockout, I don't see Zug trying to claim him back to the Swiss league if he were sent down to GR after training camp, or during the course of the year.

If he feels obligated to stay, through club loyalty or something like that, then that's his own personal choice. But needless to say, playing in GR would be VASTLY more beneficial to his possible North American pro career than being back in Switzerland... Although the Swiss do make some damn fine chocolate...

Brunner always stated that he has the option to choose if he wants to play in the swiss league if the wings send him to the ahl. i am not sure if this is true, because swiss players often don't understand how the nhl, the draft system et al work.

after all, he is scoring right now. zug is up 3:0 after 10 minutes, the secound one came from brunner after an assists from linus omark!