• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#41 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:57 AM

Article 17.17: not to be messed with. Lucky for him he's drawing two paycheques.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#42 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:05 PM

Yup. I don't really care that they are overpaid but I do get annoyed when people try to justify entertainers/pro athletes getting paid millions of dollars. There is none

I can think of 3.3 billion reasons why they get paid as much as they do.
  • Nev likes this

#43 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

Devellano has had a huge hand in the Wings success, but whether he believes them or not, those comments are idiotic. I'm guessing it's just misplaced and poorly worded loyalty to Ilitch, but I wonder how the Wings players feel like being called cattle by the Senior VP of the Wings.

I also don't get the part about him saying about what Fehr would have people believe about the cap. What Fehr believes about the cap or not, never in this negotiation has he proposed eliminating the cap. The proposals have been less of a reduction in players salaries.

#44 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:17 PM

Well this just in, apparently the league is fining the Wings and undisclosed amount due to Jimmy D's comments. Here's the link.

http://mobile.mlive....ll=true#display

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#45 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

Man, that money could have gone toward some player's contract.

#46 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

Well this just in, apparently the league is fining the Wings and undisclosed amount due to Jimmy D's comments. Here's the link.

http://mobile.mlive....ll=true#display

HAHA! And Jimmy D really stuck up for Bettman! I guess that won't happen again...

#47 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

bringit.jpg

#48 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:15 PM

250k? Damn

#49 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:50 PM

Dang, Jimmy, tell us how you really feel! The players are cattle on the owners' cattle ranches? If that's true, then they best be taking good care of their cattle, or else no one's going to want to buy their product. I get that the owners are running a business and not a charity organization, but I think that metaphor is taking it a little far, and I think the players deserve a little more credit for what they do.

Also, I don't buy his argument that the players should be so incredibly grateful and bow down to the owners for what they receive from them. Let's face it, both sides are grubbing for as much money as possible, so one side can't play the victim and say the other is being greedy and unfair when they both have the same goal in mind - making money. I just find it a little hard to swallow that he tries to justify the owners making bazillions and then criticizes the players for going to Russia when a) they have jack all else to do and b) have just as much right as anyone else under the capitalist system to make as much money as possible.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#50 Sycsa

Sycsa

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

Yup. I don't really care that they are overpaid but I do get annoyed when people try to justify entertainers/pro athletes getting paid millions of dollars. There is none

Um, they make millions because they generate an even bigger income for their clubs/record labels/film studios. Duh.

#51 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

There is a different between cattle and people, cattle can't leave the ranch.

^^ This.

#52 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:16 PM

While I side with the owners that percentage of revenue going to the players should go down, contracts signed before the old CBA should be grandfathered in. That's a very legitimate player gripe. It also happens to greatly favor the Wings, who really have not signed any outrageous deals.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#53 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:07 PM

Boom there ya Dumbellano, sticking up for a midget and yet getting fined 250.000.

I think the fine is still to small he may have damaged the great DRW reputation with his cattle comments, he'd better be glad Datsyuk is busy playing in the KHL otherwhise this could really backfire for the whole organizsation.

Can you imagine still having the perfect human on our team and Jim coming out with something like this? WoW, classless idiot. Hope he gets fired on top of the fine.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#54 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:27 PM

Jimmy D is a high school dropout who grew up in the bad part of Toronto (yes, they exist in Canada). Eloquence is not his strong suit, but I frankly love it.

But the man is a hockey genius and has been a key component on 8 Stanley Cup winning teams. Yeah, fire him.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#55 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:22 AM

The Red Wings players should put horns stickers on their helmets as a practical joke for the first game.

#56 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:39 AM

Hmm...Interesting interview.

Boom there ya Dumbellano, sticking up for a midget and yet getting fined 250.000.

I think the fine is still to small he may have damaged the great DRW reputation with his cattle comments, he'd better be glad Datsyuk is busy playing in the KHL otherwhise this could really backfire for the whole organizsation.

Can you imagine still having the perfect human on our team and Jim coming out with something like this? WoW, classless idiot. Hope he gets fired on top of the fine.

Seriously - Red Wings rep damaged?

You must've not been around when Probert was a Red Wing.

I honestly :lol: at the cattle comment - ya know - he's bloody right, and brutally honest...Gotta give him props for that.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#57 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:50 AM

Seeing the name "Detroit Red Wings" in the headlines is usually good, but in the this case.
How many dimes are in two hundred and fifty thousand?

#58 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

Seeing the name "Detroit Red Wings" in the headlines is usually good, but in the this case.
How many dimes are in two hundred and fifty thousand?

$1 = 10 dimes

$250,000 = 2,500,000 dimes

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#59 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

Hmm...Interesting interview.

Seriously - Red Wings rep damaged?

You must've not been around when Probert was a Red Wing.

I honestly :lol: at the cattle comment - ya know - he's bloody right, and brutally honest...Gotta give him props for that.

Brutally stupid is more like it.

#60 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

Jimmy D is a hockey genius. He hasn't damaged the reputation of the Wings. The Wings have the likes of Jack Adams in their cupboards. You don't have to be likable or wise to be great at your job. Scotty Bowman was a jerk, too, but any team would kill to have him come back and coach them. Jimmy D is on one side of the negotiating table, that's it. Maybe he was a bit crass, but that's his style. It's his opinion, it doesn't affect his job performance, and I doubt many players take it personally outside of using it as a negotiating tactic.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.