125 replies to this topic

#61 Uniblab

Uniblab

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

So we're all cattle, are we? Fine.
As for the players, may I suggest that the first time they skate out onto the Joe ice for practice, they all "moo".
Likewise for those fans returning to the Joe, from entering the gate, milling around the foyer until seated, "moo".
Heck, the walkway from the parking lot to the Joe is a cattle chute, anyway. We've gotten stuck in traffic a few times only for someone to start the moo-ing.
Bettman's a stoop *click* Stoop. Stoop *click click*

#62 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

He's on the money here to be honest about it. It was refreshing to hear someone else's perspective who ISN'T an owner or a player.

#63 akak

akak

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

SO FREE SPEECH COST $250,000 NOW. Not so free! I'm a Kings fan from 1969, if Luc Robitaille got fined for saying something like that, I'd be boycotting all things NHL and AEG (who own the Kings). Oh, I forgot, because I'm out $1000 on preseason travel plans for Kings games that have been cancelled, I am done with NHL. I lost money on the previous lockouts as well. I'm supporting the AHL, ECHL. Maybe see if DirecTV can get me some of the KHL games.

Goodbye NHL!

#64 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

The best thing we can do is not show up for a while. They're gonna give us empty arenas, let's give them empty arenas. The owners are too arrogant to realize that the most important aspect of any business is the customers

Edited by Johnz96, 23 September 2012 - 12:28 PM.

#65 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

Did anyone Catch this in the interview?

He seems to be throwing his own players under the bus including the best player on the team in Datsyuk

Maybe jimmy d was in a really bad mood the day he gave this interview. This just seems so unredwing like

That's what really annoyed me. I don't like when, especially a long tenured Red Wings representative from the classiest team in all of sports, takes and blasts the guys, the players, that keep him in an organization that's been on top for the past 20 years. Credit is due not only the the owners for being successful, but to the players that get the fans in the seats and keep the organizations winning tradition alive.

The only thing i don't like about the NHL players going overseas is that they are taking jobs from other people. The entire world is suffering, not just North America. Jobs are being lost everywhere due to the NHL lockout and this needs to be addressed very quickly. The lockout needs to end as quickly as it's beginning.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#66 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,410 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

The National Hockey League announced today that the Detroit Red Wings have been fined an undisclosed amount for comments made by Red Wings Senior Vice President and Alternate Governor Jim Devellano in an interview that was published earlier this week.

"The Detroit Red Wings’ organization and the League agree that the comments made by Mr. Devellano are neither appropriate, nor authorized, nor permissible under the League's By-Laws," said NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly. "Such comments are neither constructive nor helpful to the negotiations."

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#67 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,338 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

Jimmy D is a hockey genius. He hasn't damaged the reputation of the Wings. The Wings have the likes of Jack Adams in their cupboards. You don't have to be likable or wise to be great at your job. Scotty Bowman was a jerk, too, but any team would kill to have him come back and coach them. Jimmy D is on one side of the negotiating table, that's it. Maybe he was a bit crass, but that's his style. It's his opinion, it doesn't affect his job performance, and I doubt many players take it personally outside of using it as a negotiating tactic.

Exactly.

Jimmy D is 1 of the reasons why the Red Wings have been such a successful franchise for so many years.

I'm certain he's sick, and tired of these labour woes between the BOG, and NHLPA, and like he said in that very same interview - he too is part of the "cattle" group, and in some way he's taking orders from the ranch owner - Mike Ilitch.

Many here also forget that Bettman (that little turd) is only doing his part - courtesy of the BOG - gotta remember they're the ones handing over $8 million to him, and he's leading the way - pushing the "cause" for the sake of the owners.

Gotta admit - it's pretty humorous that Jimmy D got such a huge fine...I'm sure Ilitch will fork over the "moo-lah".

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#68 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

They better start repectin the beefeaters

#69 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

Call me crazy or revengehungry but after this whole crapfest I'd love to see some competing leagues in Europe. Maybe then the cattles are going the leaf the ranch in dozens and this atrocious midget can look at empty seats and stars heading overseas.

I think this is really the kick in the balls this monopolistic league needs.

Jim D may be a genious but there is no excuse for throwing your players under the bus like that, especially after our next captain is one of the PA heads.

Sent from my BlackBerry

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#70 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,412 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

SO FREE SPEECH COST $250,000 NOW. Not so free! I'm a Kings fan from 1969, if Luc Robitaille got fined for saying something like that, I'd be boycotting all things NHL and AEG (who own the Kings). Oh, I forgot, because I'm out $1000 on preseason travel plans for Kings games that have been cancelled, I am done with NHL. I lost money on the previous lockouts as well. I'm supporting the AHL, ECHL. Maybe see if DirecTV can get me some of the KHL games.

Goodbye NHL!

Freedom of speech is not absolute. I'm assuming you understand this, but if not, he's not speaking as an individual, he's speaking as the representative of an organization.....he got fined by the organization....he didn't get fined by any lawful body or something like that.

Back on topic, I wonder what Datsyuk thinks...seems to me he took a bit of a shot at him indirectly when talking about players that went overseas to play....."we all know who they are"

#71 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:17 PM

Goodbye NHL!

This got nothing to do with free speech. NHL can be viewed as a private club, which is free to fine its members (teams) per its own by-laws.

#72 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:23 PM

The same people criticizing Jimmy D would be applauding any player that gave a "color" interview vilifying Bettman and the owners. Hilarious stuff around here these days.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#73 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:56 PM

I want to see Datsyuk play with Ovi and Malkin.

#74 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Beat Boston!

• Gold Booster
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:00 AM

Just depends on your perspective. I would applaud a player that gave an interview (Selanne did pretty well) that candid because I agree with them here.

Jimmy D spoke his side. Unfortunately it was in defense of a pretty indefensible figure to me at this point.

#75 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:13 AM

The same people criticizing Jimmy D would be applauding any player that gave a "color" interview vilifying Bettman and the owners. Hilarious stuff around here these days.

esteef

not me. i am pissed at both sides. mainly due to the lack of urgency both have displayed in getting serious negotiations done. but i will say at least they are "informally" talking. in the last lockout, nothing was spoken between the 2 sides until december.

#76 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

Boy, people sure don't like to be reminded of the facts. Yes, the owners are the ranchers, and the players are the cattle. The club execs are like the ranch hands. Not sure why this riled everyone up. It's kind of obvious.

Unless you own your own business, you are cattle too. It's the way the world works. Get a helmet.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#77 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,555 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

Boy, people sure don't like to be reminded of the facts. Yes, the owners are the ranchers, and the players are the cattle. The club execs are like the ranch hands. Not sure why this riled everyone up. It's kind of obvious.

Unless you own your own business, you are cattle too. It's the way the world works. Get a helmet.

1) Those aren't facts.

2) People typically don't shell out $3 billion dollars because they love watching cattle eat grass, so maybe he's underestimating the role of the cattle.

3) Accurate or not it's an incredibly stupid thing for Devellano to say during CBA negotiations. He should know better.

#78 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

Thanks. Not exactly an unbias article, but it works. The point is, the attack on the Wild GM as stated was grossly oversimplifying the matter. He is operating within what he deems a broken system. I am not saying signing Parise or Suter was a smart financial decision for the Wild... just that he is allowed to complain about the current system, while still trying to be competitive within that system.

Obviously, he has proven that he CAN do that..... but he CAN'T do that without sounding like a hypocrite.

Why can't you just accept that some people don't see things exactly the way you do? You think they're wrong, clearly. But that doesn't mean that they ARE wrong. Maybe to that person or to the 8 other people you've had similar posts responding to, it IS that simple. Maybe that's what's really the main point above all points to them and the rest doesn't really matter in comparison.

You sound like those people that say a person can't or it is foolish to vote solely based on one issue. Yes you can and no it isn't if that issue outweighs everything else for that person. And that person's vote counts just as much as yours. Just like this, my opinion counts just as much as yours (which, of course, is.... not at all).

“Obviously, he has proven that he CAN do that..... but he CAN'T do that without sounding like a hypocrite.”

Really? There may be some confusion here, did you think I was speaking about the Wild GM's physical, biological a ability to speak words...? Allow me to clarify - the read between the lines (obvious) implication of my post was that he is allowed to complain about the current system, while still trying to compete within that system....without being labelled a hypocrite.

Further, debate me on the substance of what I said please. Opinions are only as relevant as the facts, reason, or logic backing them up. Nobody deserves to have their opinion respected just because it's *their* opinion... that's just silly.

I am not sure if you took the time to actual read what I was commenting on, but here it is:

"Selänne said it best in one of his blogs, Wild GM signs 2 players to insane contracts then puts on his clown hat and claims that the players want too much money, whos the real ahole here? The players of the owners?"

These shoot from the hip comments, with no substantive facts / reason / logic to back them up are obnoxious and add noting to the discussion. If you are going to slander (clown, ahole) multiple someones, as that post slandered the Wild GM AND all the owners, with little to nothing provided to back up your position, you should expect to be challenged.

Edited by RedWingsDad, 24 September 2012 - 09:57 AM.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#79 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

hhahahaha am I really seeing people getting mad at Jim for telling the cold hard truth on how the owners really feel about the players? Lets go ask some folks who work in corp america how they feel at their jobs. It is a business for these owners nothing more. They are there to make money period. If you guys didn't know that or believe that then you either own your own business and dont' want to be called out with all the other cattle owners or you haven't taken the Red Pill yet and still don't know the painful truth of reality.
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#80 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:36 AM

1) Those aren't facts.

2) People typically don't shell out $3 billion dollars because they love watching cattle eat grass, so maybe he's underestimating the role of the cattle.

3) Accurate or not it's an incredibly stupid thing for Devellano to say during CBA negotiations. He should know better.

1. Really? Sure seems like the owners own or control the teams and arenas, no? Kind of like a rancher owns and controls the ranch and everything on it.

2. People do shell out tons of money for leather goods, beef, dog treats, etc. i.e. the cows are the product too. Kind of like the players in the NHL.

3. This is true. It doesn't help the owners, and probably wasn't the best thing to say. However, Selanne and various other players bagging on the owners/Daly/Bettman is also stupid, and helps keep the sides at odds. But everyone applauds the players and Fehr, so what can you do?
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg