• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ShanahanMan

Jimmy D Speaks out on Lockout, fined $250k

Rate this topic

There are some bad calls happening in the NFL right now, (just like there were with the "real" refs and replay officials) but I think people are just dogpiling on the replacements at this point. The NFL media, the coaches nor the players are making it any easier for these guys that have been put in a tough spot.

esteef

its funny how in the nfl you can freely rip on replacement refs in the media all you want if you are a player or coach or whatever, but if you question the integrity of the nhl or reffing in any way you get a massive fine in the nhl...

In the NFL, you can get fined for wearing a long sleeve short that doesn't match your uniform. Believe me, the NFL is way, way, way more agressive when it comes to handing out fines. I think they are trying to figure out what to do about the reffing thing, not sure if they are fining anybody or not, but if they aren't, that's a complete exception to their general rule.

Some people have suggested that the owners could just replace their cattle with different guys who are willing to play for less. I think perhaps these people should watch the NFL and reexamine the idea of replacing skilled people with less skilled people.

Some people have suggested that the owners could just replace their cattle with different guys who are willing to play for less. I think perhaps these people should watch the NFL and reexamine the idea of replacing skilled people with less skilled people.

I am not going to see that for the price of NHL ticket. At $5 a game maybe.

I am not going to see that for the price of NHL ticket. At $5 a game maybe.

And therein lies a truth that a lot of people ignore in the lockout debates.

the reason we fans are willing to shell out an insane amount of money for tickets, parking, beer, jerseys, directv packages, etc, is because we're watching the best players on the planet play the game. That's why they're not exactly cattle.

So they're kobe beef, and not just regular cattle. Same thing applies.

And no, the players will not all just go fill out the KHL and make it the best league in the world. You'll have your top 10% or so of the NHL players that can be slotted in in the KHL, SEL, and various other leagues. None of those leagues is on par with the NHL. The remaining 90% of the players in the NHL will have to either step down to the AHL, go play in Israel, North Africa, Japan, and places like that, or go get real jobs.

Look, I am not completely on the owners's side. The way they handled this was nothing short of astonishing, and seems designed to have resulted in what we have. But the fact remains that they hold a majority of the cards. Sure, the Crosbys and the Malkins, and the Datsyuks can play wherever they want. But there are a lot more Patrick Eaveses and Tomas Kopeckys in the league that don't have those options available to them.

This is also a pretty good breakdown of my thoughts on this too.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl--nhl-lockout--league--union-can-t-afford-to-pass-the-point-of-diminishing-returns.html

So they're kobe beef, and not just regular cattle. Same thing applies.

It's still a terrible analogy.

And no, the players will not all just go fill out the KHL and make it the best league in the world. You'll have your top 10% or so of the NHL players that can be slotted in in the KHL, SEL, and various other leagues. None of those leagues is on par with the NHL. The remaining 90% of the players in the NHL will have to either step down to the AHL, go play in Israel, North Africa, Japan, and places like that, or go get real jobs.

They may not all end up in the same league, but with that much elite talent available some league would likely make a big effort to attract most of the talent. Then yes, that league would be the best in the world.

Look, I am not completely on the owners's side. The way they handled this was nothing short of astonishing, and seems designed to have resulted in what we have. But the fact remains that they hold a majority of the cards. Sure, the Crosbys and the Malkins, and the Datsyuks can play wherever they want. But there are a lot more Patrick Eaveses and Tomas Kopeckys in the league that don't have those options available to them.

This is also a pretty good breakdown of my thoughts on this too.

http://sports.yahoo....ng-returns.html

Here we're in agreement. It's not that I think the players are without fault here, but I too am astonished with how the owners, and Bettman especially who is supposed to be guiding them, handled this. It was almost like they wanted a lockout.

Hockey is entertainment. Hockey players are elite talent people pay to see. Whether an owner thinks it or not, you don't treat them like cattle. And you certainly don't do something as stupid as calling them that, even if they are.

Guest RedWingsDad

owners of ranch = owners of NHL teams

cows = players

bettman = ?

field = ice

feed = paycheck

supermarket = fans

But wait... cows are fat... and players are in shape... !!! This just doesn't add up! I’m starting to think that Jimmy D didn't mean it as an exact analogy... :turn:

Edited by RedWingsDad

“Obviously, he has proven that he CAN do that..... but he CAN'T do that without sounding like a hypocrite.”

Really? There may be some confusion here, did you think I was speaking about the Wild GM's physical, biological a ability to speak words...? Allow me to clarify - the read between the lines (obvious) implication of my post was that he is allowed to complain about the current system, while still trying to compete within that system....without being labelled a hypocrite.

Further, debate me on the substance of what I said please. Opinions are only as relevant as the facts, reason, or logic backing them up. Nobody deserves to have their opinion respected just because it's *their* opinion... that's just silly.

I am not sure if you took the time to actual read what I was commenting on, but here it is:

"Selänne said it best in one of his blogs, Wild GM signs 2 players to insane contracts then puts on his clown hat and claims that the players want too much money, whos the real ahole here? The players of the owners?"

These shoot from the hip comments, with no substantive facts / reason / logic to back them up are obnoxious and add noting to the discussion. If you are going to slander (clown, ahole) multiple someones, as that post slandered the Wild GM AND all the owners, with little to nothing provided to back up your position, you should expect to be challenged.

Hahahaha! I like you - you seem like a smart guy. I just disagree with most of your posts!

I didn't SAY he was a hypocrite. There's no real way for me to easily know that. But, I'll say it again, he sure as hell sounds like one. And, that sounds like me labelling him as a hypocrite. It looks like some other people might feel the same way. So, epic fail on his part on being able to complain about the current system, while still competing within that system....without being labelled a hypocrite.

Opinion is defined as 'a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.' You can challenge someone else's opinion on something like this all you want, but what are you really challenging it based on? Oh, another opinion. For someone who is so down on opinions, you seem to be pretty proud of yours.

It is my opinion that your opinions are just as much NOT fact as everyone else's.

Guest The Axe

I want scabs at this point. Foock the players. Make the salary cap 20 million, make league minimum 200k, and bring in the best of the rest. Let all the old NHLers go overseas and play in Siberia. Cut ticket prices 25% leaguewide and look like heroes. 5 years from now, noone will notice a difference in the product.

cows = players

bettman = ?

field = ice

feed = paycheck

supermarket = fans

But wait... cows are fat... and players are in shape... !!! This just doesn't add up! I’m starting to think that Jimmy D didn't mean it as an exact analogy... :turn:

I stand corrected! - LOVED this post!

cows = players

bettman = ?

field = ice

feed = paycheck

supermarket = fans

I hope you won't mind a minor correction which might answer your question.

cows = players

cowpies = bettman

field = ice

feed = paycheck

supermarket = fans

You can't have a dynasty anymore," Devellano told Regner. "It's going to be hard because the cap and the draft really do work. What they both do is, they create tremendous parity, and the people in New York — the Gary B. Bettmans — are rubbing their hands in glee. They love it."

Do I detect a hint of contempt?