• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

What's to stop Chris Chelios from starting a new NA pro hockey league? And what's to stop that league from supplanting the NHL?

Obviously I'm being a little silly.
...and yet, I'm kinda not.

Discuss the idea of a "new NHL." (National Cattle League?) Is the idea appealing to you? What would you like to see in a new league? How would someone, or multiple someones, go about actually creating a new league here in North America? Or would they even be able to? (Is this idea at all feasible?) Discuss potential obstacles. Discuss potential awesomeness. Explore all angles.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#2 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

I would rather watch a league that isn't commissioned by Bettman

#3 RippedOnNitro

RippedOnNitro

Rookie

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

Are they gonna build new arenas or use excisting small arenas??
First round series win: $0 () Second round series win: $0 () Third round series win: $0 () Fourth round series win: $0 () Goal difference: $0 (-3) Shutout difference: $0 (0) SHG difference: $0 (0) Extra points reg. season: $3 (102)

TOTAL COLLECTED: $0 TOTAL BONUS IF STANLEY CUP: $3

#4 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:59 PM

I am going to support minor league hockey this year. Its cheaper anyway.

#5 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,610 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:23 AM

Uncle Gary let others infringe on his "monopoly"? Not bloody likely.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#6 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,891 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:47 AM

Whoa. I had the same "what's to stop Chris Chelios" thought. I wondered about the players starting their own, but wondered who'd bankroll the payroll and the arenas and all the other stuff that goes into it.

#7 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,454 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

Biggest obstacle? Infrastructure or the money to create/obtain.

Brand is a big one too.

#8 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

Whoa. I had the same "what's to stop Chris Chelios" thought. I wondered about the players starting their own, but wondered who'd bankroll the payroll and the arenas and all the other stuff that goes into it.

hmmmmmmmmm I wonder that too. but hell who cares the owners are greedy and shouldn't be making as much as the players. that's just not fair.So....really. Who will be putting up money for this "NEW" league. the players? Can't be because you think that they deserve more of the "pie" now so we can't have the players giving up any of their money.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 24 September 2012 - 11:06 AM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#9 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

Anyone who had the finances to do this would be on the same level as the current owners, and would want to see some return on their money. Unless it's something like The Toy with Richard Pryor, and like a Jim Balsille puts some teams together to play only for him. They could all bunk at his mansion, and he could hang out with them and do sleepovers and such.

Edited by drwscc, 24 September 2012 - 11:05 AM.

Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#10 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,610 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:39 AM

And, their games could be on ESPN.

#11 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,883 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

A new league would still run into the same issues as this one, I think. Ultimately, the only people who can afford to own teams are of the super rich variety, and it takes a certain mindset to get that far financially. I don't think it is realistic to have owners who participate in a professional hockey league mostly for the good of the community or for fun, and not primarily from a business standpoint. Consequently, I expect the owners of the new league to lock out the players in much the same way that Illitch and the current 29 owners have, based on differences in perceived potential earnings.

#12 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

Oh this thread brings back memories.
On topic, I was wondering what if the KHL and European leagues catch on in the next season to season and a half (as projected). Lots of players have said they would have no problem staying in their home countries.

SOOO...

What about finally having a world wide league. Have 2 NA divisions Can and Amer in one conference, 2 more between KHL and Europe divisions making another conference.

The first three(maybe 2) rounds must be from the original holder of picks homeland (so to speak). After that you can draft anyone anywhere. Or not let anyone draft anyone, but I thought it would be a neat feature.

No play in other conference until a 7 game championship series held at a rotating host site each year.

Maybe????
Maybe Not????

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#13 Swayze

Swayze

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:33 PM

Aside from the world wide league idea, this all just reminds me of the XFL.

#14 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

Aside from the world wide league idea, this all just reminds me of the XFL.

Wonder if Vince likes hockey =)
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#15 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,891 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

Just get a big ol' ranch in for the players to live on (y'know- like cattle) and herd them over to the other guys' ranch for the games. Just find some rich ranchers (y'know- like in Texas). It'd be Bush League, but who cares?

#16 RippedOnNitro

RippedOnNitro

Rookie

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

I am going to support minor league hockey this year. Its cheaper anyway.

I concur. It is refreshing to watch a league which does not revolve about money all the time. Just players who play for good fun.
First round series win: $0 () Second round series win: $0 () Third round series win: $0 () Fourth round series win: $0 () Goal difference: $0 (-3) Shutout difference: $0 (0) SHG difference: $0 (0) Extra points reg. season: $3 (102)

#17 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,610 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:53 PM

Wonder if Vince likes hockey =)

Posted Image

#18 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:31 PM

If I was to start a hockey league, this is how it would look, from an on-ice standpoint:

-No trapezoid area. Goalies can freely handle the puck.
-Players make their own decisions regarding facial protection.
-No instigator penalty. Let the players police themselves.
-Head hunting rules in place, however not nearly ridiculously touchy as today's NHL head hunting rules.
-Tolerance for a bit more obstruction (Hooking, holding, interference) than today's NHL.
-No penalties for "Delay of game"

As far as off the ice:

-No salary rollbacks on player contracts. Once the deal is done, its done.

I don't have many other concrete opinions as to what it should look like off the ice. No greedy owners. No greedy players.

Obviously, starting a new hockey league in North America wouldn't be easy. The NHL is the top dog. It'd be hard to compete in cities that have NHL teams. Then again, since those NHL teams are constantly locked out, now would be a great time to give it a shot. Who's in this with me?

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 24 September 2012 - 10:34 PM.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#19 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:54 PM

You guys will have to wait until April...when it comes playoff time, and there isn't any NHL hockey going on, people will start thinking about an alternate league. Its just too large of an undertaking to even realistically be floated until a whole season is cancelled.

Now, if we're into next summer and there is still a lockout? HAHA. Yeah, I think something will start to develop. I hope.

#20 RippedOnNitro

RippedOnNitro

Rookie

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:19 AM

A new league would still run into the same issues as this one, I think. Ultimately, the only people who can afford to own teams are of the super rich variety, and it takes a certain mindset to get that far financially. I don't think it is realistic to have owners who participate in a professional hockey league mostly for the good of the community or for fun, and not primarily from a business standpoint. Consequently, I expect the owners of the new league to lock out the players in much the same way that Illitch and the current 29 owners have, based on differences in perceived potential earnings.

I agree...a brand new league will face the same problems in the future. As long as the players have a saying in how much their employers are required to pay their employees these things will happen!