• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

New League?

Rate this topic

Discuss the idea of a "new NHL." (National Cattle League?) Is the idea appealing to you? What would you like to see in a new league? How would someone, or multiple someones, go about actually creating a new league here in North America? Or would they even be able to? (Is this idea at all feasible?) Discuss potential obstacles. Discuss potential awesomeness. Explore all angles.

When is this due? How long should the response be, Double spaced?

Guest The Axe

When is this due? How long should the response be, Double spaced?

Ha ha ha. It does sound like an assignment!

I think the old timers had the exact same idea when they created the competing World Hockey Association (WHA). That league only lasted for 7 seasons and it just couldn't make it. Also, it's not like they didn't have the money or the talent. Hell, Mr. Hockey Gordie Howe played in the WHA for 6 seasons. Unfortunately in the end, it was a failed experiment.

How was the WHA a failure?

I guess I would compare it's lack of longevity as a 'failure'. In terms of hockey star value and as an alternative to the NHL, it was great. But that only lasted so long. To me, pass or fail could be based on longevity. That's how I looked at it.

I guess I would compare it's lack of longevity as a 'failure'. In terms of hockey star value and as an alternative to the NHL, it was great. But that only lasted so long. To me, pass or fail could be based on longevity. That's how I looked at it.

To me, it succeeded far more than it failed. Yes, it only lasted 7 years. Yes, it had teams fold, move, miss payroll, be bought and sold like crazy... but it ushered in a new era. Player salaries increased dramatically; the NHL's Reserve Clause was eliminated, allowing free agency; the draft age was lowered from 20 to 18 in 1979; major pro hockey was brought to new markets in both the WHA and NHL (some very deserving, some less than so); and the influx of European players began in earnest. While only one WHA team survives today, the league's impact on the game today is undeniable.

To me, it succeeded far more than it failed. Yes, it only lasted 7 years. Yes, it had teams fold, move, miss payroll, be bought and sold like crazy... but it ushered in a new era. Player salaries increased dramatically; the NHL's Reserve Clause was eliminated, allowing free agency; the draft age was lowered from 20 to 18 in 1979; major pro hockey was brought to new markets in both the WHA and NHL (some very deserving, some less than so); and the influx of European players began in earnest. While only one WHA team survives today, the league's impact on the game today is undeniable.

I agree with your points there. Those are successes that have been implemented/carried over into the current game as we know it. I guess I focused more on the roulette wheel of teams folding, payroll issues, etc... But hey, now we have the NHL and... wait a minute... DAMN YOU NHL!!! :)

I don't think North America and the United States especially could support 2 pro hockey leagues, simply not enough interest in hockey or money from fans to go around. Ultimately what would happen is one league folds or merges with the other league and we wind up in the same situation as we have now

I don't think North America and the United States especially could support 2 pro hockey leagues, simply not enough interest in hockey or money from fans to go around. Ultimately what would happen is one league folds or merges with the other league and we wind up in the same situation as we have now

True. You could use the IHL and AHL merger as a somewhat comparable example. Two leagues competing for players, not enough fans to keep all the teams afloat, so they merged into the current AHL and that seems to work.