• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings_Dynasty

Interesting Article about Fedorov & Yzerman

Rate this topic

I thought this was a neat little story from the Wings 97 Cup run. I actually remember this game and a play that was made after Fedorov came back into the game where he skated down the ice and beat Foote to an icing call and then tried to move the puck towards the net and drew a penalty. I remember the crowd going nuts because it was such an electric play.

I never knew the injury he came back from was that bad though.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120930/SPORTS05/309300242/Dr-John-Finley-The-former-Red-Wings-healer-of-Hockeytown

Just another "soft euro". A Canadian player would have done it himself with a drill. Just ask Don Cherry. It's cool, I have that very same litho of the Russian Five, it's autographed by all 5 guys along the bottom. Never knew this even happened and doubt it would in another sport. I would like to send this book to Cherry and highlight this portion.

Wow. Loved how the article was entirely about Sergei, except they made sure to get the perfunctory reach-around reference to Yzerman "motivating" Fedorov to play hurt. Hockey players are tough, period. It doesn't matter how big you are or where you were born. I remember a story about Brent Gilchrist screaming in pain as they injected his injured groin so he could suit up, and he was a 4th liner. Anybody who thinks that Fedorov was soft is an absolute moron.

I actually just watched this game last week, it was a great game. Sergei did indeed look like he was in a lot of pain when he got hit, and I tried to remember if he was out for the rest of the game. Sure enough he came right back in and scored the game winner.

Cool article.

I rememember the bit about giving Russians a bad name, but wasn't it Fetisov, and didn't he give him a set of his own pads to wear? In any case, given the doc's story, anyone giving Feds grief about it needs to back off.

Guest The Axe

I read that the doctor wasn't even there. Yzerman gave Feds Mr. Miagi style hand clap, rub, and press treatment and pointed to his C on his jersey. "This is for 'cup', Sergei" is all he said. The rest is history.