• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Z basically says Bettman should be fired

Rate this topic

He heavily eludes to it without saying the exact words (probably to avoid a fine)

I think this quote speaks volumes -

This is the way (Bettman) negotiates,'' Zetterberg said. “We've been through this before and if he's going to stay there we'll probably go through it again.

http://www.mlive.com...ng_anticip.html

Edited by stevkrause

Guest Johnz96

He heavily eludes to it without saying the exact words (probably to avoid a fine)

Like a good chess player he is probably planning the next one now.

We got to get him out of our game and there is only 1 way to do it because the owners don't care about us

Nobody cares about the fans. They all want money. They want as much as they can get, both sides. If it was Bettman or Selig or Shanny up there, it'd be the same story. But keep believing that if Bettman magically disappeared that Jeremy Jacobs and Mike Illitch would stop caring about money.

Any player that wants Bettman fired is a fool. The current lockout is based on the fact that the players want to retain a high percentage of the revenue that Bettman is largely responsible for creating. No reasonable player has any intention of going back to the "good" old days.

Edit: As evidenced by the fact that the players' whole position in these negotiations has been to keep everything exactly the way it is right now.

Edited by kipwinger

Guest Johnz96

Any player that wants Bettman fired is a fool. The current lockout is based on the fact that the players want to retain a high percentage of the revenue that Bettman is largely responsible for creating. No reasonable player has any intention of going back to the "good" old days.

Edit: As evidenced by the fact that the players' whole position in these negotiations has been to keep everything exactly the way it is right now.

Anybody that defends Bettman is a fool. Bettman is not responsible for the growth, in fact he has hindered it. Hockey has grown in popularity in the States because more kids became exposed to it because of international success the Americans have since the Miracle on Ice, something they have never had before.

Bettman is the worst thing to ever happen to the game of hockey

Guest RedWingsDad

Ooh. Name calling. I wonder how productive this conversation will be. How about something we can all agree on.. I miss hockey.

Anyone that misses hockey is a tool! :P

For the life of me, I'm trying to figure out how you get from what Zetterberg said to him thinking Bettman should be fired. I read it as him talking about Bettman's negotiating style and as long as he is in that role, he expects the same. That to me is just basic logic. Doesn't say anything about whether he thinks he's doing a good job or a bad job.

Guest RedWingsDad

For the life of me, I'm trying to figure out how you get from what Zetterberg said to him thinking Bettman should be fired. I read it as him talking about Bettman's negotiating style and as long as he is in that role, he expects the same. That to me is just basic logic. Doesn't say anything about whether he thinks he's doing a good job or a bad job.

I guess this is the closest thing Z said to covertly suggesting Bettman should be canned:

“This is the way (Bettman) negotiates,'' Zetterberg said. “We've been through this before and if he's going to stay there we'll probably go through it again."

Edited by RedWingsDad

...The current lockout is based on the fact that the players want to retain a high percentage of the revenue that Bettman is largely responsible for creating. No reasonable player has any intention of going back to the "good" old days.

The biggest issue with the revenue sharing isn't exactly the percentage. THe issue that players have is that the definition of "hockey related revenue" changes drastically. Even if the profit was split 50/50, with the owners new definiton of HRR, the players would be taking a MUCH larger hit than the perceived 7%. Bettman and Co. have been doing a great job trying to appeal to the fans by "giving back" some percentage points from the initial offer, but the fact is still that it is from a smaller piece of the revenue pie.

So, best way to predict future behavior is to look at past behavior. In the last lock-out, the NHL ended up offering the players a deal in the last minute and the players rejected it, so the season was canceled and the players got an EVEN WORSE deal at the beginning of the next season.

My thought is maybe this time around, the NHL will make a similar offer in order to have a shortened season. Maybe the players will learn this time and take the offer and we can at least have some hockey this year.

Zetterberg's comments make it sound like the players are dead serious this time around. Multiple players have said they're prepared for a multiple year work stoppage. They could be bluffing, but who knows? Let's hope something gets worked out.

So, best way to predict future behavior is to look at past behavior. In the last lock-out, the NHL ended up offering the players a deal in the last minute and the players rejected it, so the season was canceled and the players got an EVEN WORSE deal at the beginning of the next season.

My thought is maybe this time around, the NHL will make a similar offer in order to have a shortened season. Maybe the players will learn this time and take the offer and we can at least have some hockey this year.

Zetterberg's comments make it sound like the players are dead serious this time around. Multiple players have said they're prepared for a multiple year work stoppage. They could be bluffing, but who knows? Let's hope something gets worked out.

Well, they went a full year last time, which is really concerning to me. I truly do hope they are bluffing, because if they are not, they are just plain stupid + getting bad advice. I understand fighting for principle and if they go so far and "win", it won't be for them, it will be for the next players (but even then, there will be different CBA so it will be a waist anyway). The amount of money they will lose from even sitting out a year will never be recouped.

Well, they went a full year last time, which is really concerning to me. I truly do hope they are bluffing, because if they are not, they are just plain stupid + getting bad advice. I understand fighting for principle and if they go so far and "win", it won't be for them, it will be for the next players (but even then, there will be different CBA so it will be a waist anyway). The amount of money they will lose from even sitting out a year will never be recouped.

You are absolutely right. The players will not recoupe their lost income even if they eventually "win".

This is not as much about the money for the players, as It is about standing up to owners attempt to "unguarantee' the signed contracts.

Nobody cares about the fans. They all want money. They want as much as they can get, both sides. If it was Bettman or Selig or Shanny up there, it'd be the same story. But keep believing that if Bettman magically disappeared that Jeremy Jacobs and Mike Illitch would stop caring about money.

exactly. if either side cared about the fans, this lockout would have already been over

it is quite ironic how the players are fighting tooth and nail to keep a system that they lost a whole season trying to fight against 8 years ago.

No one can sit here and defend Bettman. Bettman is ruining hockey in many respects. His job is to RUN THE LEAGUE. Since he took charge of the NHL, there have been 3 lockouts, one of which lasted an ENTIRE SEASON- - and this one does not look too promising. Simply put, allowing 3 lockouts is not doing his job. He is a terrible negotiator, and is running the league into the ground. On another note, the ONLY reason he still has the job is that he has pleased all of the poor ass teams that can't afford to run their own franchises. But if the league is locked out all year, these poor ass franchises will not ever be able to recover, and I think that will spell the end of Bettman finally.

Sure they can sit here and defend him but so what? This guy is an absolute enigma to hockey and needs to be canned asap, hell even Daily could do a better job than him and yes including the golfpro!

Midget has accomplished:

=3 lockouts in two decades thats a 100 % lockout success.

=Responsible for failed franchises and not willing to admit it cause of his little man syndrome like Lupul mentioned.

= most hated man in hockey

= fullfills every stereotype about a certain type of lawyers

= destroyed the game and doesn't care about our tradition

= no special thanks to he leagues backbone

= hated by Illitch

= cost DRW fans two years of Yzerman, Fedorov Shanhan and one of the perfect human that alone is enough to hate this damn midget

Enough is enough can this greedy bastard.

The league as a whole doesn't lose money some franchises are actually making money.

Just get rid off the damn CBA and introduce a luxury tax like the MLB. I am sick of seeing the Wings handicapped because some owners want to play it poor.

When classacts like Selanne, Toews, Boyle and now our next captain are fed up you know something has gone very wrong. Also the media has jumped on the fire Bettman wagon at some point the owners wont have a choice other than finally firing this 8 million waste of a human.

Sent from my BlackBerry

Edited by frankgrimes

When classacts like Selanne, Toews, Boyle and now our next captain are fed up you know something has gone very wrong. Also the media has jumped on the fire Bettman wagon at some point the owners wont have a choice other than finally firing this 8 million waste of a human.

Sent from my BlackBerry

http://www.tsn.ca/wi...tory/?id=406758

I found this quote from Toews:

"It's another disappointing but expected move from the league," Toews told the Chicago Tribune via text from Phoenix, where he is working with his personal trainer. "This seems to be our commissioner's bread and butter; it's almost like he is excited to take away hockey from the fans and the players just because he can."

The longer it lasts the nastier it's going to get...

Caring about the fans does not mean capitulating to the other side.

I would hope they love the game more than it's fans.

This deal also will affect hundreds of players not even in the league yet, there are more things to consider than "will fan X have something to do after work tonight?"

I want hockey back also, but in no way am I pretending I am the victim here.

The simple fact: The OWNERS locked out the PLAYERS, because the OWNERS saw a opportunity to take back guaranteed contract money and use it to subsidize teams in non-traditional markets.

I sign contracts with people all the time, never has anyone ever suggested that I take less money and do the same amount of work.

I don't know why people feel entitled to these players, they don't owe you anything, they owe their family for all the time they are gone and cutting their household income by 1/4 doesn't fly.

If Mario had to give back 1/4 of his money back in the day then there might not be a Penguins team today.

Yet now he has the balls to demand that of the people he inspired to join this profession.

Bottom Line: The league is not losing money, it is earning a profit. Some teams are winning, others losing.

The heaviest contributing factor to the losing of said teams is that they don't have a big enough fan base in their non-traditional market.

Taking money from the players allows owners to operate the flawed system longer, but does nothing to fix the problem.

If there is no problems then what will they point to next time they feel like changing all the rules because their team can not win the cup.

I don't know why people feel entitled to these players, they don't owe you anything

Simply put, without the fans there wouldn't be an NHL and neither the owners or the players would be making the money they do. without the fans, there is no game to save.

i spend probably close to a $1,000 a year on tickets, merchandise, nhl center ice, etc. In return, i expect that the players are out there on the ice playing to their best abilities.

Take the winter classic for example, there are people from all over the world coming to this event who have already spent a lot of their hard earned money in travel and for hotels to come and watch these guys play. and all of that might be for nothing because millionaires and billionaires can't decide how to split up "our" money.

when it comes to a new cba, as a paying fan, i expect both sides to work their asses off and get a deal done, but neither side has shown any willingness to put aside their pride and egos to get a new deal done

Edited by chances14

Remember how most people kept saying the initial offer was just an usual lowball one? Well looks like the players saw it as an invitation for war.

This time it is not just about money it is also about staying up to your principles. Some guys girls might believe, the PA hasn't learned from the last lockout, I disagree.

Look at their comments and how everyone mentioned that they are prepared for MULTI year long lockout. They do have leverage here the midget does risk the future of teams like Anaheim here. You know teams with a small fanbase which need the casual fan in droves.

I am pretty sure the players are as sick as the fans of this 6 years and no they don't owe me anything.

Sent from my BlackBerry

Z talks about the lockout in a Swedish newspaper: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.expressen.se%2Fsport%2Fhockey%2Fnhl%2Fatt-spela-i-ryssland-skulle-kannas-olustigt%2F&act=url

Basically says he's not going to Russia due to the airplane accident and that many other clubs can't afford to pay for his insurance.

Remember how most people kept saying the initial offer was just an usual lowball one? Well looks like the players saw it as an invitation for war.

This time it is not just about money it is also about staying up to your principles. Some guys girls might believe, the PA hasn't learned from the last lockout, I disagree.

Look at their comments and how everyone mentioned that they are prepared for MULTI year long lockout. They do have leverage here the midget does risk the future of teams like Anaheim here. You know teams with a small fanbase which need the casual fan in droves.

I am pretty sure the players are as sick as the fans of this 6 years and no they don't owe me anything.

Sent from my BlackBerry

you have only been hearing that from the players that have already accumulated millions of dollars throughout their career and can afford to sit out. what about those 3rd and 4th liners?

just like i believe that the owners aren't unified on this lockout, i also think the union isn't as unified as they want you to believe, judging by some of the recent comments i have been reading by players