• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Z basically says Bettman should be fired

Rate this topic

lack of fan support IS part of the problem. New Jersey, columbus, nashville, phoenix, atlanta before they moved to winninpeg, have all ranked in the bottom 10 of attendance every year since the lockout. so while it's not the only problem with these teams, it certainly is a part of it.

anyways back to the point in hand. Without the fans, there would be no corporate sponsors or tv deals. what company would want to sponsor or televise a league that nobody watches or cares about? do you honestly think that if there were no NHL fans, that the league would have made 3.3 billion dollars last year? i don't think so.

and if the league doesn't make money, how would they be able to afford to pay these players millions of dollars?

I agree completely, and it's a better way of making the argument but just to clarify, wasn't saying lack of fans wasn't an issue, just that fan money didn't pay players. If anything I was being picky and pedantic :P But yes totally agree without the fans there is no sponsorship which WOULD pay wages. It also has to do with the fact that the league probably doesn't do very much market research when it comes to expansion teams, but probably looks more at geography and at locations where there aren't any teams for a good distance (Phoenix for example), trying to spread the wealth almost, when any idiot would know that Winnipeg had been wanting a team since the original Jets left and some other cities would really benefit from a good sports team (perhaps Seattle which would be close enough for a big US/Canadian rivalry with Vancouver and has dedicated sports fans already). I have nothing against Bettman trying to boost teams and help them survive in the league, but I don't want him basically running them to save face from them folding in poor markets. Move to another city and try again.

I hate to nitpick on something off topic, but thats not true. A keg of Miller sells at RETAIL for $100, and appx $70-80 wholesale (ie. to bars, restaurants, hockey rinks, etc) and contains about 165 12oz servings. You can do the math and figure out how much bars, restaurants, sports venues, etc are making off of it.

Miller is actually only making a few cents per beer after expenses. They make their money by moving large volumes. Everyone else in the chain makes a lot more off the beer per ounce than the actual brewers do.

Yeah I admit it was just something I threw in as was one of the only corporate sponsors I could think up off the top of my head :P Beer does retail at a ridiculous profit margin. Yet said profit still wouldn't pay for players salaries.

+10 for NOT having a Facebook account. :thumbup:

esteef

I didn't hear that Bettman was behind facebook, but I did hear that he is the one secretly sending you game requests for farmville, mafia wars, and most recently...BUBBLE BLITZ!

"He must be stopped," says Henrik Zetterberg, "fired, beated, killed, and eaten. For the fans, and for all of facebook."

Guest Johnz96

It said we have to log in to see it. Since I don't have a log in, could you please relate what it is that Z says?

Greatly appreciated.

It's a facebook vote. Should Bettman be relieved of his duties?

Currently 585 votes yes and 10 votes no

Guest Johnz96

Sure they can sit here and defend him but so what? This guy is an absolute enigma to hockey and needs to be canned asap, hell even Daily could do a better job than him and yes including the golfpro!

Midget has accomplished:

=3 lockouts in two decades thats a 100 % lockout success.

=Responsible for failed franchises and not willing to admit it cause of his little man syndrome like Lupul mentioned.

= most hated man in hockey

= fullfills every stereotype about a certain type of lawyers

= destroyed the game and doesn't care about our tradition

= no special thanks to he leagues backbone

= hated by Illitch

= cost DRW fans two years of Yzerman, Fedorov Shanhan and one of the perfect human that alone is enough to hate this damn midget

Enough is enough can this greedy bastard.

The league as a whole doesn't lose money some franchises are actually making money.

Just get rid off the damn CBA and introduce a luxury tax like the MLB. I am sick of seeing the Wings handicapped because some owners want to play it poor.

When classacts like Selanne, Toews, Boyle and now our next captain are fed up you know something has gone very wrong. Also the media has jumped on the fire Bettman wagon at some point the owners wont have a choice other than finally firing this 8 million waste of a human.

Sent from my BlackBerry

If that turns out to be the case than the lockout is worth it

Players aren't going to criticize their respective team-owners.

Personally, after reading the Dan Boyle article saying that all the owners aren't on the same page and that it only takes 8 owners to carry a motion, i'm waiting for the owner of a team to come out and say enough is enough and they gotta get hockey going again. How many of you guys actually think that Ilich wants a lockout?

I love how the NHL's first statement said that the owners voted unanimously 30 to 0 in favor of a lockout. Wonder now how much truth there is to that or if only 8-10 voted in favor. Seems kinda sketchy to think that the Leafs, Rangers, Wings, Bruins, Jets, Canucks, Kings, Habs, and other profitable teams and defending champs would in any way, shape or form want a work stoppage. I call bulls***.

It's a facebook vote. Should Bettman be relieved of his duties?

Currently 585 votes yes and 10 votes no

Thank you for the information.

No wonder Bettman needs a lockout. He has to use all his time managing 10 facebook accounts.

Guest Johnz96

Thank you for the information.

No wonder Bettman needs a lockout. He has to use all his time managing 10 facebook accounts.

Over 98%

The fans (where all the money comes from) have been screaming for him to be fired for almost 2 decades now and the owners just don't care.

Boycott the NHL until he is gone. Unfortunately that's all we can do

Personally, after reading the Dan Boyle article saying that all the owners aren't on the same page and that it only takes 8 owners to carry a motion, i'm waiting for the owner of a team to come out and say enough is enough and they gotta get hockey going again. How many of you guys actually think that Ilich wants a lockout?

I love how the NHL's first statement said that the owners voted unanimously 30 to 0 in favor of a lockout. Wonder now how much truth there is to that or if only 8-10 voted in favor. Seems kinda sketchy to think that the Leafs, Rangers, Wings, Bruins, Jets, Canucks, Kings, Habs, and other profitable teams and defending champs would in any way, shape or form want a work stoppage. I call bulls***.

Boyle should have kept his mouth shut. Even if he was privy to some inside information (Which he probably isnt) does he honestly beleive there arent players out there who just want to play and arent in favor of asking for the moon? I am willing to bet my life savings (Granted it isnt much) that there is a MUCH higher percentage of players who just want to play then there are owners who do. This is why the players will cave first and revenue will probably end up being split some where close to 50 -50. Like every other sports league.

The best thing the owners have done is not say anything. Every single time a player opens his mouth in the press it ends up sounding selfish, immature and just plain stupid.

Edited by UP2HERE

Boyle should have kept his mouth shut. Even if he was privy to some inside information (Which he probably isnt) does he honestly beleive there arent players out there who just want to play and arent in favor of asking for the moon? I am willing to bet my life savings (Granted it isnt much) that there is a MUCH higher percentage of players who just want to play then there are owners who do. This is why the players will cave first and revenue will probably end up being split some where close to 50 -50. Like every other sports league.

The best thing the owners have done is not say anything. Every single time a player opens his mouth in the press it ends up sounding selfish, immature and just plain stupid.

Ever heard of the right of free speech?

Why do so many pro owner people care about others leagues? I doubt you can receive a concussion in baseball or basketball and footballs revenue is based around a big TV contract, something the NHL doesn't have yet. Once things are getting personal for players, there is more than just money to a story.

All the owners are doing here, is removing some of the troubled franchises if this thing will go over multiple years the midget can look at some empty expansion buildings soon.

Free speech? Really? There's a big difference between being free to say something and being smart enough not to.

esteef

There is also a big difference between having a rule against free speech or choosing to say nothing. Especially the Jeremy poor owner Jacobs should keep his mouth shut..

Every other sports league?

Look at baseball's salary situation. And the NBA may have a close to 50% split but they also have a luxury tax system the NHL doesn't. And a lot more revenue sharing among franchises. As does the NFL.

It's not really fair to just take the percentage while ignoring all the other differences between the leagues.

Just by sheer number, I'm sure you're right about there being more players wanting to play than the 29 owners. And like I mentioned in another thread, Bettman only needs 7 to keep from being overruled so it doesn't even matter if the majority of owners wanted to end the lockout.

Oh man, it has nothing to do with right of speech. It has everything to do with making sense of what you saying.

He would make more sense demanding whales to stop committing suicides on public beaches.

Guest Johnz96

I love how they pay tribute to the NHL commissioner in this. Harry Buttman is the league commissioner who is short of size and long on annoying personality, played in the movie by a dwarf.

Why do so many pro owner people care about others leagues? I doubt you can receive a concussion in baseball or basketball and footballs revenue is based around a big TV contract, something the NHL doesn't have yet. Once things are getting personal for players, there is more than just money to a story.

All the owners are doing here, is removing some of the troubled franchises if this thing will go over multiple years the midget can look at some empty expansion buildings soon.

Who said I was pro owner? If you look back at previous post it clearly says I'm fed -up with both sides. Also I hate the concussion/injury argument. Barring a catestrophic event whats stopping an injured player from getting a real job like the rest of us? Sure they have a high risk but theyre all well paid to play for a living.

This has nothing to do with free speech. The players can say anything they want (And some of them have) but its always something that ends up making them look bad.

There's an old saying : "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Edited by UP2HERE

Every other sports league?

Look at baseball's salary situation. And the NBA may have a close to 50% split but they also have a luxury tax system the NHL doesn't. And a lot more revenue sharing among franchises. As does the NFL.

It's not really fair to just take the percentage while ignoring all the other differences between the leagues.

Just by sheer number, I'm sure you're right about there being more players wanting to play than the 29 owners. And like I mentioned in another thread, Bettman only needs 7 to keep from being overruled so it doesn't even matter if the majority of owners wanted to end the lockout.

Youre right its very difficult to compare and I'm not saying its fair for the players to get 50% but Im betting thats where they end up. We will likely have have 2 or three months of no hockey followed by the players caving and the split ending up close to 50/50.

He's become quite quotable in the last little while; doing a little campaigning for the position of Captain?

Personally, I don't like this from him. With the situation we are in, the players need to be unified, you don't want individual players making comments. Hard to control, but from an NHLPA perspective, I'm sure they don't like seeing comments from the players.