• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
amato

Zetterberg to play in Switzerland

Rate this topic

good that the next Capt gets to play with Brunner. maybe this was a plan all along to give Babs better insight

into Brunner's personality.

I do like that he's going to play with Brunner a lot but overall this is bad news.. Could be a long lockout unfortunately :/

I thought he could not play overseas because of insurance issues...

I think I read that it was that he'd have to pay for his own insurance.. Don't quote me on that though, not 100% sure

I thought he could not play overseas because of insurance issues...

Either the team is paying for it or I think there is a third party helping out on that front:

Swiss team EV Zug is reporting that, thanks to some help from external financiers, Henrik Zetterberg will be joining Damien Brunner shortly.

http://www.wingingit...-ev-zug-reports

Also:

Zetterberg turned down an offer from Swiss club HC Lugano that reportedly included $53,000 per month in insurance to help cover the cost of his contract in case of injury as well as a $2,000 monthly salary and apartment.

http://www.mlive.com...terberg_si.html

I've been sitting here thinking, "Well Z isn't gone yet, there's still hope."

Just awesome...

him leaving or staying doesn't really affect my mindset on this lockout. he already said previously that if games were cancelled that he would consider going overseas.

this weeks cba negotiations are going to decide if we have a season or not imo.

him leaving or staying doesn't really affect my mindset on this lockout. he already said previously that if games were cancelled that he would consider going overseas.

this weeks cba negotiations are going to decide if we have a season or not imo.

Yeah, but he said he would wait around until Dec to see what happens, then think about it. The fact that he made his decision in early October could be an indication (especially given his PA involvement) that things are not looking good from inside the negotiating room and we're in for a long holdout. I hope I'm wrong though.

At least there is this silver lining from mlive:

TROY – Detroit Red Wings center Henrik Zetterberg's decision to play in Switzerland doesn't mean he's abandoned hope the NHL season can be salvaged.

“I wanted to wait a little bit before going, but the last few weeks the indication is it's going to be tougher and tougher to get spots there, especially with the contract I have and the insurance costs,'' Zetterberg said. “So I got an offer last Friday from Zug and I looked into it, talked to a few players who played in the Swiss league; they said it's a good place to be and play hockey.

“We had to make a quick decision. Late last night, me and my wife, Emma, talked about it and we said, 'Just give it a shot; it's going to be fun to play some hockey.' ''

http://www.mlive.com...rberg_st_1.html

Edited by rrasco

I hoped he wouldn't have gone over...being a player rep and all. Most might point to this as being a very bad sign in terms of where the lockout is heading, but I really refuse to believe that anyone really knows where it might head. I think there is a good chance is goes all year, but there is also a good chance it gets resolved in the next little while. You never know what may happen from one day to the next. I hoped Z would have stayed to help the cause.

Also a little conflicted as to whether I think it's a good idea for him to play as well (tough call), I can see positives and negatives.

I hoped he wouldn't have gone over...being a player rep and all. Most might point to this as being a very bad sign in terms of where the lockout is heading, but I really refuse to believe that anyone really knows where it might head. I think there is a good chance is goes all year, but there is also a good chance it gets resolved in the next little while. You never know what may happen from one day to the next. I hoped Z would have stayed to help the cause.

Also a little conflicted as to whether I think it's a good idea for him to play as well (tough call), I can see positives and negatives.

It is a bit disappointing to see zetterberg bail on the negotiations but the frustration and desire to play hockey games is understandable

He only wanted to play for Timrå in Sweden, and they couldn't afford his insurance.

Didn't the league also require they sign a full year deal? As in, no bailing if the lockout ends. I heard someone mention they lifted that, but I think an article or two on Z mentioned that had something to do with it as well.

Didn't the league also require they sign a full year deal? As in, no bailing if the lockout ends. I heard someone mention they lifted that, but I think an article or two on Z mentioned that had something to do with it as well.

Yeah atleast I remember at the beginning, the SEL wanted full contracts and issued out a statement saying that they would not allow players to come over strictly to play in absence of a NHL season. Then I think someone had come down on them and said they coudn't do it so they had lifted the ruling. I do remember Zett saying that he didn't want to go play anywhere because he wanted to be a major player in getting the new CBA hammered out, but you can see his point via the interview. Especially with the KHL and their 3 NHL player limit and what not, i'd suck being one of the last players "waiting" to go to Europe only to realize theres no home for you. Players were saying that homes overseas were harder and harder to find, therefore it had influence on their decision too (don't know if Zett has a summer house in Sweden or anything (well, Emma has to have a place atleast....)).

i don't like these quotes by zetterberg

Zetterberg will be back when the lockout ends, but he's not sure if some others playing in Europe will return this season.

“I know for a fact Russians will probably stay,'' Zetterberg said. “I can't blame them either. The Russian league treats players a different way. For them to play in their home country and not have these (labor) disputes every other year … and they honor the contracts over there. If you sign a deal, that's the deal you get.''

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/10/red_wings_henrik_zetterberg_st_1.html

i know zetterberg is frustrated but there is a lot of misinformation there. The KHL had salary rollbacks last year. players get bought out and released from contracts all the time (look at hudler)

Yeah, but he said he would wait around until Dec to see what happens, then think about it. The fact that he made his decision in early October could be an indication (especially given his PA involvement) that things are not looking good from inside the negotiating room and we're in for a long holdout. I hope I'm wrong though.

he could've chose to go over there sooner in order to play with brunner and help him develop.. I agree that it's a sign the lockout isn't ending next week or anything like that and that it'll probably be a long lockout. but i'm sure playing with one of the wings key players (and basically captain) is something that the wings would want for a prospect with the upside brunner has.