• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
number9

Russians Possibly Staying In KHL After Lockout

Rate this topic

"I know for a fact Russians will probably stay" - Zetterberg

Kovalchuk and Ovechkin have shown interest in staying in the KHL after the work stoppage ends. Luckily Datsyuks agent has said Dats will be returning to Detroit after the lockout

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/10/zetterberg-on-players-returning-post-lockout-i-know-for-a-fact-russians-will-probably-stay/

Ovechkin staying in the KHL would be a big blow to the NHL. They have so few marketable personalities.

I disagree. I think they have TONS of marketable players, but they just chose the obvious ones. Think if Biznasty was marketed like OV. I think he has a better personality. I don't know why Russians come off as so selfish to me and seem egotistical.

No way Ovechkin or Malkin or Kovalchuck stay. Even if the money is even (which it likey wont be) they know the NHL is still the best league in the world and they know the marketing opportunities are better.

Ovechkin is a very talented player but hes full of crap. REALLY full of crap.

I disagree. I think they have TONS of marketable players, but they just chose the obvious ones. Think if Biznasty was marketed like OV. I think he has a better personality. I don't know why Russians come off as so selfish to me and seem egotistical.

I don't know either. Are you basing it on only a few Russians?

Because the Wings currently have a Russian player that is the antithesis of that. And they have had several in the past as well. Larionov, Fetisov, Vladdy, Kozlov.

Well I could fully understand them, the facts especially for Russian players are like this:

- playing in a very good league

- not having to worry about that 'CBA crap every 5 - 6 years

- make even more money

- play in front of your family, friends and fans

A certain little ***** is not only killing the appeal of the NHL for Russians but also for a lot of other european born players, that is why the players need to break the stupid "our offer or lockout pattern" this time, if it means a multiple year long lockout so be it.

Although the NHL does have a ton of marketable players Stamkos, Toews, Lundquist to name a few.

Edited by frankgrimes

it's easy for the russian players to say that they won't come back when there are no nhl games going on right now.

i mentioned it in another thread but the entire zetterberg quote is so full of misinformation, it's ridiculous

I know for a fact Russians will probably stay,” Zetterberg said. “I can’t blame them either. The Russian league treats players a different way. For them to play in their home country and not have these (labor) disputes every other year … and they honor the contracts over there.

“If you sign a deal, that’s the deal you get.”

khl had salary roll backs just last year. players get cut and released from their contracts all the time. (hudler anyone?)

Sounds to me Z needs to just stop talking. He is talking more than Mean ol Bettman. Stirring the pot it seems all the time.

That's the point. Zetterberg is trying to force Bettman's hand by talking to the public. It's basic negotiating and he's not doing anything wrong or badly. But I highly doubt Ovechkin stays in the KHL. He was just working on having a bounce back year and probably wants to prove himself.

That's the point. Zetterberg is trying to force Bettman's hand by talking to the public. It's basic negotiating and he's not doing anything wrong or badly. But I highly doubt Ovechkin stays in the KHL. He was just working on having a bounce back year and probably wants to prove himself.

So, it was good then that Jimmy D made his comments, right? He's just trying to force Fehr's hand by talking to the public. It's basic negotiating and he's not doing anything wrong or badly.

It's being petulant, and wanting some attention. Nothing more, nothing less.

I have no doubt that some players will stay, but the major players will return for the paychecks and the stardom. The players are just playing the PR game right now. Get the public afraid that their players are going to leave and not come back.

Don Cherry would like it if the Russians stayed home, more jobs for his, "Good Canadian Boys".

As mentioned, I think the players are just saying this to help bargain against Bettman and the 7 owners that back him.

In the future I'm going to refrain from bunching the owners together. From the sounds of it, this lockout is only Bettman, Phoenix, and 7 other teams... Take 'em down Fehr, NHLPA, and 22 owners! Let's get our game back!

Sounds to me Z needs to just stop talking. He is talking more than Mean ol Bettman. Stirring the pot it seems all the time.

Z can say whatever he wants, that little runt is going to take away two years and 150 points to his career totals!

How can Ovi stay in the KHL when he has that monster of a contract? Will Dynamo buy it out?

Can't he just bail on it? I know the NHL and KHL have signed agreements to respect each others contracts but they still don't really follow that.

He is contracted to play for the Caps in exchange for 9.7 mil. (IIRC) per year. If the Caps won't pay him the agreed salary, why should he be bound by the contract?

Can't he just bail on it? I know the NHL and KHL have signed agreements to respect each others contracts but they still don't really follow that.

Maybe, but I doubt it's that simple. A contract is usually a complicated thingy which has to be respected by both parties. Makes me wonder.

Maybe, but I doubt it's that simple. A contract is usually a complicated thingy which has to be respected by both parties. Makes me wonder.

It is difficult to enforce US contract in Russia. If Ovechkin liquidates all his US assets prior to bailing then I really do not see how Capitals can get anything out of him. But I do not think he will shut the door on NHL at this point in his career. Maybe later.

Hockey players tend to have egos as big as their appetite for cash. As long as the NHL is the most competitive and historic league, they will come back to establish their legacy. Sure it's nice to get paid a competitive salary and be at home, but no one will ever give them props for being one of the greatest while they are in the KHL. They are mad and irrational like us fans, but they'll march right back when things are worked out like us too.