• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wing Across The Pond

Our friend @HockeyyInsiderr lists anti-lockout teams...

Rate this topic

Hockeyy Insiderr@HockeyyInsiderr

List of teams whose owners are putting pressure on Bettman to STOP the lockout: #Sabres #RedWings #Habs #Flyers #NYRangersand maybe more!

Interesting tweet, even if he usually is full of you-know-what. I think even before the lockout most knew the owners who weren't really in it for a work shortage, mainly the people who don't mind spending money on their teams...

He then went on to say...

Hockeyy Insiderr@HockeyyInsiderr

The 5 teams against the lockout have been #CONFIRMED to me by various NHL and NHLPA sources. There are a lot more, but unconfirmed yet.

...which I take as being the aforementioned 'you-know-what' as NHL sources would never release a list of owners against the lockout... you know... the whole, making them look bad thing? But hey, interesting points nonetheless.

It's well known that Jeremy Jacobs is solidly on Bettman's side, so that would mean he would only need 7 more to guarantee he has the final word. Although the teams listed by "HockeyyDerpp" (as I've seen him called) might be big market powerful teams, they still would need a practically impossible majority to overrule Bettman.

Lest we also forget, all 30 owners voted in favor of a lockout...

It's well known that Jeremy Jacobs is solidly on Bettman's side, so that would mean he would only need 7 more to guarantee he has the final word. Although the teams listed by "HockeyyDerpp" (as I've seen him called) might be big market powerful teams, they still would need a practically impossible majority to overrule Bettman.

The NHL owns the Coyotes, so I think that actually makes it 6 owners since Bettman likely controls that vote.

As I said yesterday, I think Fehr's been brought in by the PA and 22 owners to take Bettman out... That little turd has gotten to powerful!

I don't care how long this lockout lasts, I want Bettman gone!!

With the amount of money 1/3 of the teams are losing, there's no way all 30 owners wanted a lockout!

i think the owners that are against the lockout didn't want to appear to the union as not being unified, so they voted for it knowing that since only 8 are needed to approve lockout, their vote would be useless

Philly have never been afraid to spend big, so its no surprise that they want to be able to wield their financial clout.

The team that surprises me is the Sabres, I thought they were losing money hand over fist?

Philly have never been afraid to spend big, so its no surprise that they want to be able to wield their financial clout.

The team that surprises me is the Sabres, I thought they were losing money hand over fist?

I think they're quite tight financially, they seem like a wise enough organisation that doesn't p*ss money away but that's probably why they haven't had a whole lot of success recently, but saying that, they're probably losing a good deal of money now without any hockey on so they'll probably want the season to start. That's what I'd imagine anyway, but then again I have about as much insider info as HockeyyInsiderr

Well, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. It could very well be politics. Some teams could have been against it, but once it was clear there was a majority in favor, a lot of times you vote with the majority to keep good relations with them and present a united front, since your vote didn't matter anyway.

I think they're quite tight financially, they seem like a wise enough organisation that doesn't p*ss money away but that's probably why they haven't had a whole lot of success recently, but saying that, they're probably losing a good deal of money now without any hockey on so they'll probably want the season to start. That's what I'd imagine anyway, but then again I have about as much insider info as HockeyyInsiderr

Ville Leino

They've been losing money pretty much every year. Team payroll around the middle of the pack mostly. Pegula just bought the team last year though, and they've gone bat s*** crazy on spending ever since. (Highest salary payroll in the league right now.) It doesn't seem like he's all too concerned about making a profit (at least right now); he just wants to build a good hockey team. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he just wants the season to start.

They've been losing money pretty much every year. Team payroll around the middle of the pack mostly. Pegula just bought the team last year though, and they've gone bat s*** crazy on spending ever since. (Highest salary payroll in the league right now.) It doesn't seem like he's all too concerned about making a profit (at least right now); he just wants to build a good hockey team. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he just wants the season to start.

That's right, in any business/industry a great product, marketed properly, will be more profitable. That's how Ilitch rebuilt the Wings and (hopefully) that's what Pegula's plan of action is.

I really enjoyed that video clip & if that's what Mr. I truly said...Amen.

Even if that is true, they still need 18 more teams to overrule him.

Because of how Bettman got the rules changed after he as overruled in '95, there's practically no chance of the owners seizing control from him. He only needs to keep 8 happy.

Do you have a link or source to this? I would like to see for myself what Bettman changed back in 95 and where they stand today. I did a google search on this and didn't find anything on it.

Guest Kronstantinov

Do you have a link or source to this? I would like to see for myself what Bettman changed back in 95 and where they stand today. I did a google search on this and didn't find anything on it.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CC4QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sportsnet.ca%2Fhockey%2Fnhl-lockout%2F2012%2F10%2F05%2Fsan_jose_sharks_dan_boyle_eight_teams_control_fate_cba_lockout%2F&ei=ye92UJOnO42E8ASU2oCgCQ&usg=AFQjCNFYkAZh5vYGKdWy3oUJk7XAkbMcpQ&sig2=uGeqPrBPv4O71S7EGvz0mg&cad=rja

Only 6 more because the league owns the Coyotes

The owners don't have to be "on the same page". They have a mouth piece acting for them.

The owners "love" Uncle Gary. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

7 of them do

I had read it in a few places years ago but here's the most recent reminder.

To make sure the disunity of 1994-95 did not happen again, Bettman engineered a change in the voting rules: if he was against a settlement, he could be overruled only by a vote of three-quarters of the owners. And he was given the power to fine any owner or team official as much as $1 million for divulging internal league matters.

http://www.nytimes.c...l-enforcer.html

Everything I've read credits Bettman for the change but ultimately I think the Board of governors has to approve it. I haven't found much info about how that process works exactly.

And here:

http://www.theglobea..._medium=twitter

There is legislation – he introduced a rule that allows him to reject a collective agreement proposal from the NHLPA with only eight votes from the 30 owners. Firing Bettman would require three-quarters of the owners to approve, something he negotiated when he took the job.

Bettman also made sure most of the other owners owed him enough, by naming them to the powerful governors’ executive committee or shepherding their attempts to buy a team or letting them bend the rules, that they will not cause any trouble. Finally, he makes sure he is aligned with the two most powerful owners, Jeremy Jacobs of the Boston Bruins, the chairman of the board of governors, and Ed Snider of the Philadelphia Flyers.

It is an adept way to handle people who are essentially your bosses and who are not accustomed to being told how to operate their business since many of them built successful companies before buying hockey teams.

The part I bolded is especially depressing.

Guest Johnz96

I know it's hard to believe that he can have so much power over a sport that he is the most despised person by the fans (those who provide the revenues that are fighting over) of that sport.