Photo
- - - - -

Our friend @HockeyyInsiderr lists anti-lockout teams...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:07 AM

Even if that is true, they still need 18 more teams to overrule him.

Because of how Bettman got the rules changed after he as overruled in '95, there's practically no chance of the owners seizing control from him. He only needs to keep 8 happy.

Do you have a link or source to this? I would like to see for myself what Bettman changed back in 95 and where they stand today. I did a google search on this and didn't find anything on it.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#22 Kronstantinov

Kronstantinov

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

Do you have a link or source to this? I would like to see for myself what Bettman changed back in 95 and where they stand today. I did a google search on this and didn't find anything on it.

http://www.google.ca...EGvz0mg&cad=rja

It's well known that Jeremy Jacobs is solidly on Bettman's side, so that would mean he would only need 7 more to guarantee he has the final word. Although the teams listed by "HockeyyDerpp" (as I've seen him called) might be big market powerful teams, they still would need a practically impossible majority to overrule Bettman.

Lest we also forget, all 30 owners voted in favor of a lockout...

Only 6 more because the league owns the Coyotes

The owners don't have to be "on the same page". They have a mouth piece acting for them.
The owners "love" Uncle Gary. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

7 of them do

#23 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,913 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

I had read it in a few places years ago but here's the most recent reminder.

To make sure the disunity of 1994-95 did not happen again, Bettman engineered a change in the voting rules: if he was against a settlement, he could be overruled only by a vote of three-quarters of the owners. And he was given the power to fine any owner or team official as much as $1 million for divulging internal league matters.

http://www.nytimes.c...l-enforcer.html

Everything I've read credits Bettman for the change but ultimately I think the Board of governors has to approve it. I haven't found much info about how that process works exactly.

And here:

http://www.theglobea..._medium=twitter

There is legislation – he introduced a rule that allows him to reject a collective agreement proposal from the NHLPA with only eight votes from the 30 owners. Firing Bettman would require three-quarters of the owners to approve, something he negotiated when he took the job.
Bettman also made sure most of the other owners owed him enough, by naming them to the powerful governors’ executive committee or shepherding their attempts to buy a team or letting them bend the rules, that they will not cause any trouble. Finally, he makes sure he is aligned with the two most powerful owners, Jeremy Jacobs of the Boston Bruins, the chairman of the board of governors, and Ed Snider of the Philadelphia Flyers.
It is an adept way to handle people who are essentially your bosses and who are not accustomed to being told how to operate their business since many of them built successful companies before buying hockey teams.

The part I bolded is especially depressing.

#24 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

But, but, but...the vote was 30-0!!!

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#25 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

I know it's hard to believe that he can have so much power over a sport that he is the most despised person by the fans (those who provide the revenues that are fighting over) of that sport.

#26 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

I know it's hard to believe.
WTF were the owners thinking?