• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
StormJH1

Jordin Tootoo & Polar Bears

Rate this topic

Our brand new, incredibly overpriced 4th-liner-soon-to-be-healthy-scratch retweeted this yesterday:

http://twitter.com/A...8417152/photo/1

The caption was "Inuit Rights!", preceded by a retweet about the US placing endangered status on polar bears hurting the Inuit nation.

Whatever, man. I might be labeled a "hippie" because I don't want pictures of dead polar bears popping on my Twitter feed, but I'm unfollowing. I understand this is a complicated issue (not unlike the delicate relationship Americans have with Native Americans), and that a polar bear is probably the biggest thing you can shoot and eat when you live on a block of ice. http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/wleonard/government-sponsored_polar_bea.html That doesn't mean I have to like it.

I've also yet to hear a cogent explanation as to why a team with too many forwards (but not enough defense, at the time) needed a 3-year deal with a cap hit of $1.9 million per for a "poor man's Cal Clutterbuck" with a substance abuse history, a reputation for taking dumb minors, and his place as one of the more disliked opposing players by Wings fans, and not for good reasons. And he wishes we could kill more polar bears. Awesome.

Well, I guess if the lockout lasts 3 years, there would be at least one positive side effect to come out of that. (Too harsh?)

A4-CPORCYAA5hMf.jpg

Edited by StormJH1

Guest RedWingsDad

And he wishes we could kill more polar bears. Awesome.

Awesome indeed! I wish I could kill more (read: any) polar bears. I hear polar beat meat is tasty.

Are you a vegan?

Edited by RedWingsDad

Awesome indeed! I wish I could kill more (read: any) polar bears. I hear polar beat meat is tasty.

Are you a vegan?

Heck no, I love meat. I'm actually thinking about getting a burger for lunch.

This obviously goes deeper than polar bears. If Henrik Zetterberg killed an endangered seal with a harpoon in Sweden, I'd be more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, because I didn't start with the assumption that Zetterberg is a POS.

It was just tough for me to accept that we needed to pay a premium for a 29-year old hack would was a healthy scratch for a team that cleaned our clocks in April, yet can barely get to the cap floor in salaries. I think part of their success was DUE to the fact that guys like Tootoo weren't running guys in the corner for no reason.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/04/20/jordin_tootoo_frustrated_benched_nashville_predators_nhl/

So...you're offended by someone else's heritage, which was publicly displayed on a feed you chose to follow, so in turn you throw every insult you can his way and then go and post the same exact picture which you were offended by on another public forum?

if you read other tootoo tweets, he doesn't seem like that bad of a guy off the ice. I've changed my opinion of him because who he is on the ice is completely different than who he is off the ice. (ex - team tootoo fund (his charity) and he's gone to rinks to help kids from his hometown with ice hockey).

He's a role player on the ice because that's the way he can help his teams most.

Guest RedWingsDad

This obviously goes deeper than polar bears. If Henrik Zetterberg killed an endangered seal with a harpoon in Sweden, I'd be more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, because I didn't start with the assumption that Zetterberg is a POS.

It was just tough for me to accept that we needed to pay a premium for a 29-year old hack would was a healthy scratch for a team that cleaned our clocks in April, yet can barely get to the cap floor in salaries. I think part of their success was DUE to the fact that guys like Tootoo weren't running guys in the corner for no reason.

http://www.sportsnet..._predators_nhl/

I do not get all of the Tootoo hate. On the Red Wings... he will be the only nasty pric on the team.... so I see value there.

Didn't that hack put up 30 pts. last season? On a team that doesn't score much no less? Which would give him more points than Helm, Miller, Abby, Emmerton, and Holmstrom. And he plays physical. And he scraps.

Not mad about this one dude.

Yeah no offense OP...

But this just makes Tootoo even cooler in my book. I was psyched about the signing (still am) and the fact that he is proud about his heritage does nothing but further endear.

Also, you are waaay way wrong about your assessment of his hockey talents.

Well it's not like most Inuit families still rely on hunting for food given that they can just pop down to the local Spartan Store for their weekly groceries at reasonable prices. Oh wait...

I would use a word for someone who would ***** & moan about a people who basically have to hunt to feed themselves, but I don't think that word would be hippie.

Yeah no offense OP...

But this just makes Tootoo even cooler in my book. I was psyched about the signing (still am) and the fact that he is proud about his heritage does nothing but further endear.

Also, you are waaay way wrong about your assessment of his hockey talents.

A Native American tribe recently petitioned (successfully, I believe) to sacrifice two Bald Eagles because their religion told them to do it. Cool with that too?

I'm not debating the conservationist aspect of it. Obviously, asking people to care about animals, even endangered ones, on a hockey board is a fool's errand, when said advocate of killing the endangered animal has a chance to help out your 4th line.

But as a tactic, it's a troll move, and an "eff you" to people who try to protect endangered animals. Tweeting a picture of a dead animal that most civilized nations are working hard to save from extinction is not a necessary tactic for arguing Inuit rights. And no, it's not the same as showing a picture of a dead deer or rabbit.

But on the hockey point, what player are you talking about?! $2 million for a "30-point" player who they BENCHED in the playoffs. His career goal high was 11, and that was 6 years ago. He had SIX goals last year. Do you know how hard it is to play 77 games and only put the puck in the next 6 times? That's Cory Emmerton territory. If we signed him for $700,000 on a two-way non-waiver deal, that'd be one thing. For $2 million a year, he's going to play.

The people who think this is a good hockey signing are the same people who thought Brad May was going to save the Red Wings a few years ago because they were too soft. I'd rather be known as a whiny animal lover than a fan of Jordin Tootoo.

Guest The Axe

Ok, lets just dump the animal rights talk because its completely asinine to call out intuits for killing polar bears while we all rape the world of natural resources. Bison, sharks, whales, you name it. Mankind is a plague on this planet. Not just intuits. They are a microcosm of the problem, and a microcosm that probably wouldn't exist if the overall problem didn't exist.

Onto hockey - who knows why Tootoo is on this team. Holland is a crappy GM. Tootoo, Quincey, Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, Gustavson, etc. By the time you get done adding up all of our CRAP, we could have paid the Suter/Parise combo 10 mil each a season instead. And to top it all off, all of our "prospects" would be NHLers instead of prospects if we had landed the duo. But we get to watch neither young prospects develop or high calibur NHLers make deep cup runs. We get to watch CRAP like Tootoo. Great job, Kenny.

A Native American tribe recently petitioned (successfully, I believe) to sacrifice two Bald Eagles because their religion told them to do it. Cool with that too?

I'm not debating the conservationist aspect of it. Obviously, asking people to care about animals, even endangered ones, on a hockey board is a fool's errand, when said advocate of killing the endangered animal has a chance to help out your 4th line.

But as a tactic, it's a troll move, and an "eff you" to people who try to protect endangered animals. Tweeting a picture of a dead animal that most civilized nations are working hard to save from extinction is not a necessary tactic for arguing Inuit rights. And no, it's not the same as showing a picture of a dead deer or rabbit.

But on the hockey point, what player are you talking about?! $2 million for a "30-point" player who they BENCHED in the playoffs. His career goal high was 11, and that was 6 years ago. He had SIX goals last year. Do you know how hard it is to play 77 games and only put the puck in the next 6 times? That's Cory Emmerton territory. If we signed him for $700,000 on a two-way non-waiver deal, that'd be one thing. For $2 million a year, he's going to play.

The people who think this is a good hockey signing are the same people who thought Brad May was going to save the Red Wings a few years ago because they were too soft. I'd rather be known as a whiny animal lover than a fan of Jordin Tootoo.

Seriously? Emmerton territory?

Emmerton: Brings speed and 10 pts

Tootoo: Brings fighting, agitation, energy, hitting, and 30 pts

Tootoo brings way more assets to the ice and tripled Emmertons scoring last year...and Emmerton plays for a high scoring team while Toots played for a defensive team with a terrible forward core.

While I think 2 mil is a little high (would have prefered 1.5) I'm still happy to have Tootoo. A bunch of frowards (like Emmerton) will be traded to make room for Toots once the season starts, it's obvious.

Love how you brought up this irrelevant Polar Bear thing as an excuse to whine about Tootoo and his contract.

I think the lockout is driving everyone a bit nuts

I wouldn't worry about Tootoo being paid $2 mill.

If and when hockey ever starts again, the players are inevitably get hit with a rollback. Sorry... "escrow." Most GM's probably had it figured into their signings this offseason and were okay with the inflated amounts.

I'm guessing he'll be more in the $1.8 mill territory when it's all said and done.

I wouldn't worry about Tootoo being paid $2 mill.

If and when hockey ever starts again, the players are inevitably get hit with a rollback. Sorry... "escrow." Most GM's probably had it figured into their signings this offseason and were okay with the inflated amounts.

I'm guessing he'll be more in the $1.8 mill territory when it's all said and done.

Thats fine with me unless Z and all the other player keep whining and nothing gets done.....=)

Cory Emmerton: 71 GP-10 points

Darren Helm: 68 GP-26 points

Drew Miller: 80 GP- 25 points

Jordin Tootoo: 77 GP- 30 points

Comparing Tootoo to Emmerton is laughable on so many levels. I know some fans think fighting and physical play is yucky, but it is hockey, as a matter of fact. Its about time we got someone with a pair between their legs. Tootoo won't be benched; he wouldn't have got the contract he did if he was just gonna sit. "Hacks" like Emmerton will be traded to make room for him.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

You don't have a leg to stand on in the animal rights department if you're thinking of getting a burger for lunch - unless by 'getting a burger' you mean buying some organic naturally raised beef and making your own patty.

Go read and get informed about intensive farming. These animals are enduring a life of misery, while those polar bears are living with freedom in their natural habitat. Hunting game is much more humane than 'getting a burger'.

I'm opposed to hunting endangered species for sport and profit. Poachers in Africa and whatnot that kill gorillas just to make ashtrays out of their hands is a completely different scenario than killing an animal for food and survival.

Eskimos are permitted by law to kill one whale a year per tribe, where they eat the meat, use the blubber, the hide, the bones, the sinew, literally nothing goes to waste. I have no problem with this.

Japanese whalers are permitted to kill 500 a year for scientific research, but not allowed to kill them for food. Then a boat full of hippies covers the meat with chemicals rendering the meat useless and the animal dies for absolutely no reason as the carcass is obliterated. Untainted meat is sold anyway. This is not okay.

I have a few points here:

Endangered or not, if it's between me living or a Polar Bear living, i'll be having bear burgers for dinner.

Species of animal should not be eternally banished from this planet for sport and entertainment.

Whale Wars is stupid.

Did not say this earlier because this looks like the op is just bitter about Nashville beating us.

But since it has made it to page two,

25,000 polar bears

vs

50,000 Inuits

If only the "civilized" world had sanctions in place to protect the people who lived here before we came and took their lands.

Seriously, the only reason our country is in a place where they can look down on people because of what they eat, is because they had no morals or conscience when it came to slaughtering and enslaving people they perceived as inferior.

Try to remember that these are human beings like you and I and that their society has been around for over a thousand years, they have always been an arctic, maritime people.

Polar bear meat is one of the reasons they survived to today and I don't think anyone has the right to tell them they are wrong for it, they did not overfarm bears in 1000 years and polar bears did not get to their endangered status from natives, but from the same expansion that endangered the natives.

Edited by Wingzman91

Did not say this earlier because this looks like the op is just bitter about Nashville beating us.

But since it has made it to page two,

25,000 polar bears

vs

50,000 Inuits

If only the "civilized" world had sanctions in place to protect the people who lived here before we came and took their lands.

Seriously, the only reason our country is in a place where they can look down on people because of what they eat, is because they had no morals or conscience when it came to slaughtering and enslaving people they perceived as inferior.

Try to remember that these are human beings like you and I and that their society has been around for over a thousand years, they have always been an arctic, maritime people.

Polar bear meat is one of the reasons they survived to today and I don't think anyone has the right to tell them they are wrong for it, they did not overfarm bears in 1000 years and polar bears did not get to their endangered status from natives, but from the same expansion that endangered the natives.

Couldn't agree more with this.

So you basically admit that this topic is irrelevant? Insomuch as it's based entirely on your prejudice against a man that you simply don't like? You'd give Z the benefit of the doubt for much the same offense because he's not, as you put it, a POS... a man fiercely proud of his heritage which is slowly dying out, who is employed to play a role and has the added baggage of the hassle that comes with it, namely people saying he's a POS when they don't know him. I say let him play and then criticise dude.

Please oh please can the lockout end so that we can get back to hockey so that I don't have to hear about Jordin Tootoo's bear hunting desires?

Yeah, we really need to get playing again... getting way too political on here these days :confused: