• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
StormJH1

Jordin Tootoo & Polar Bears

Rate this topic

So much for lunch. Thanks, guys.

<tried to delete mental image of Tootoo naked>

It's not like they're hunting the bears for profit. They're lunch. What's the difference between one of us going out and hunting a black bear (or whatever colour bear is native to our back yard) and Tootoo hunting polar bears?

As long as wildlife is hunted responsibly and conserved in accordance with its numbers, populations can be tracked and remain stable. What the polar bears need is for the rest of us who are not native to their habitat to stay out of the equation, which has worked for however long Inuits have been hunting polar bear. As a people dependent on a particular animal, you don't hunt your food source to extinction; you take only what you need.

If Tootoo was doing this for sport, I'd question it. Since he and his family are doing it as a method of survival that has served them for many generations, it's different than one of us going up there and doing it for fun.

Not commenting on the naked bear hunting, but I thought this was kind of douchy regardless of who it was coming from:

@Jtootoo22: If you're an interior designer in Kelowna I can use your help for free..... #lockoutproblems

Then...

@Jtootoo22: Thanks to @paolopero1 for driving me to Bellingham WA to pick up my Viper http://t.co/iYnafvQr

Oh #lockoutproblems. When you can't afford an interior designer because you're too busy spending money on a new Viper...

Not gaining my sympathy, Toots.

Not commenting on the naked bear hunting, but I thought this was kind of douchy regardless of who it was coming from:

@Jtootoo22: If you're an interior designer in Kelowna I can use your help for free..... #lockoutproblems

Then...

@Jtootoo22: Thanks to @paolopero1 for driving me to Bellingham WA to pick up my Viper http://t.co/iYnafvQr

Oh #lockoutproblems. When you can't afford an interior designer because you're too busy spending money on a new Viper...

Not gaining my sympathy, Toots.

It is called a joke.

No sympathy, because you had none to start with.

You also added the word new.

This is a round about stab at the players, as if given the opportunity to play they would lockout the owners.

The owners locked out the players from making the money they agreed to pay them.

If you wanna knock Tootoo, do it over the bears atleast that shows you care about something other than your longing to watch NHL hockey.

Think I need another month off.

EDIT: Hey, try and have some sympathy for the charities and donations that Tootoo supports with that undeserved money.

Edited by Wingzman91

It is called a joke.

No sympathy, because you had none to start with.

You also added the word new.

This is a round about stab at the players, as if given the opportunity to play they would lockout the owners.

The owners locked out the players from making the money they agreed to pay them.

If you wanna knock Tootoo, do it over the bears atleast that shows you care about something other than your longing to watch NHL hockey.

Think I need another month off.

EDIT: Hey, try and have some sympathy for the charities and donations that Tootoo supports with that undeserved money.

Think you have me confused with Toots haters. I'm glad we got the guy, but I also live with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek 90% of the time. The tweets I posted were days apart, and after reading the first one a couple days ago I couldn't help but laugh a little bitterly when I read the viper tweet today. Unlike some I wouldn't be following the guy (and his multiple charities, btw) on twitter if I thought he was a prick. And for your information, I care about a lot of things other than my "longing for hockey." Apparently the post got under your skin, I get it, but I don't appreciate the character attack.

Heritage, Societal norms, Native rituals....all things that need to be considered about a culture that you know little about BEFORE you judge it.

Living off the land is a way of life in Rankins Inlet, whether you are a hockey star or a young man walking through his rite of passage. Give me break with the moral judgement about another persons culture.

Toots maybe a ****** on the ice, but he leaves that crap on the ice. People I know who have met him off the ice have said he's one of the nicest athletes they've ever met.

You can't get mad at someone for hunting an animal in it's natural environment for sustenance purposes. That's the way nature intended it. If you want to talk about cruelly slaughtering animals lets talk about industrial farming, and farming in general. Totally not the way nature intended.

Don't get me wrong though I love my porterhouse steak and mickey D's dbl cheeseburgers

impossible to tell from the picture. Looks to be semi-automatic though and naturally a high caliber.

Obvious by the action it is a semi auto... But the barrel is shorter and think it may be a 3006 maybe... No where near as long as my 300 Win Mag...

One would think a bigger caliber as such would be used to hunt a polar

if you read other tootoo tweets, he doesn't seem like that bad of a guy off the ice. I've changed my opinion of him because who he is on the ice is completely different than who he is off the ice. (ex - team tootoo fund (his charity) and he's gone to rinks to help kids from his hometown with ice hockey).

He's a role player on the ice because that's the way he can help his teams most.

I met him in a mall in Winnipeg a number of years back while wearing my Brandon Wheat Kings hoodie and he walked by me and shook my hand and said nice hoodie....so my perception is that he is a very approachable person. He was super nice and didn't have the slightest chip on his shoulder. As far as the polar bears go....gotta eat man! Different cultures have different tastes for food. I'm a chicken, beef and pork guy myself and that may seem weird to some people that i won't eat anything but those meats, but i'm a born and raised prairie kid. Go further north, there's fish and polar bears.

I can't wait to see Tootoo suit up for the Wings.

Obvious by the action it is a semi auto... But the barrel is shorter and think it may be a 3006 maybe... No where near as long as my 300 Win Mag...

One would think a bigger caliber as such would be used to hunt a polar

could be a 30-30 too

So to sum up...

This never had anything to do with the polar bears. The OP was just using that as a jumping off point to rant about his dislike of Tootoo and the contract the Wings signed him to. Sound about right?

roger that

I'm dropping it - I have strong opinions about celebrating the hunting of endangered animals (even if it's necessary/tradition for certain archaic ways of life), and obviously have strong negative opinions of Tootoo as a hockey player. The purpose of the post was twofold. I suspect more people will share my hockey views on him the first time he takes a selfish minor in a close game, while scoring a lower goal total than Ian White. Not trolling here, thanks for the spirited discussion.

Sent on iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm dropping it - I have strong opinions about celebrating the hunting of endangered animals (even if it's necessary/tradition for certain archaic ways of life), and obviously have strong negative opinions of Tootoo as a hockey player. The purpose of the post was twofold. I suspect more people will share my hockey views on him the first time he takes a selfish minor in a close game, while scoring a lower goal total than Ian White. Not trolling here, thanks for the spirited discussion.

Sent on iPhone using Tapatalk

When he takes a dumb minor (which is rare, he actually dras 2 penalties for every one he takes http://behindthenet....0&team=NSH&pos= ) we can all go hug a tree with you and cry about it together.

Edited by newfy

Guest Johnz96

A Native American tribe recently petitioned (successfully, I believe) to sacrifice two Bald Eagles because their religion told them to do it. Cool with that too?

I'm not debating the conservationist aspect of it. Obviously, asking people to care about animals, even endangered ones, on a hockey board is a fool's errand, when said advocate of killing the endangered animal has a chance to help out your 4th line.

But as a tactic, it's a troll move, and an "eff you" to people who try to protect endangered animals. Tweeting a picture of a dead animal that most civilized nations are working hard to save from extinction is not a necessary tactic for arguing Inuit rights. And no, it's not the same as showing a picture of a dead deer or rabbit.

But on the hockey point, what player are you talking about?! $2 million for a "30-point" player who they BENCHED in the playoffs. His career goal high was 11, and that was 6 years ago. He had SIX goals last year. Do you know how hard it is to play 77 games and only put the puck in the next 6 times? That's Cory Emmerton territory. If we signed him for $700,000 on a two-way non-waiver deal, that'd be one thing. For $2 million a year, he's going to play.

The people who think this is a good hockey signing are the same people who thought Brad May was going to save the Red Wings a few years ago because they were too soft. I'd rather be known as a whiny animal lover than a fan of Jordin Tootoo.

Cory scored 6 in about half the time but he only had 3 assists.

The Wings really need to be more physical and difficult to play against.