• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

Please oh please can the lockout end so that we can get back to hockey so that I don't have to hear about Jordin Tootoo's bear hunting desires?

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by some sort of IPA and a heaping dose of sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#22 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:49 PM

I'm opposed to hunting endangered species for sport and profit. Poachers in Africa and whatnot that kill gorillas just to make ashtrays out of their hands is a completely different scenario than killing an animal for food and survival.

Eskimos are permitted by law to kill one whale a year per tribe, where they eat the meat, use the blubber, the hide, the bones, the sinew, literally nothing goes to waste. I have no problem with this.

Japanese whalers are permitted to kill 500 a year for scientific research, but not allowed to kill them for food. Then a boat full of hippies covers the meat with chemicals rendering the meat useless and the animal dies for absolutely no reason as the carcass is obliterated. Untainted meat is sold anyway. This is not okay.

I have a few points here:

Endangered or not, if it's between me living or a Polar Bear living, i'll be having bear burgers for dinner.

Species of animal should not be eternally banished from this planet for sport and entertainment.

Whale Wars is stupid.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#23 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:59 AM

Did not say this earlier because this looks like the op is just bitter about Nashville beating us.

But since it has made it to page two,
25,000 polar bears
vs
50,000 Inuits

If only the "civilized" world had sanctions in place to protect the people who lived here before we came and took their lands.
Seriously, the only reason our country is in a place where they can look down on people because of what they eat, is because they had no morals or conscience when it came to slaughtering and enslaving people they perceived as inferior.

Try to remember that these are human beings like you and I and that their society has been around for over a thousand years, they have always been an arctic, maritime people.
Polar bear meat is one of the reasons they survived to today and I don't think anyone has the right to tell them they are wrong for it, they did not overfarm bears in 1000 years and polar bears did not get to their endangered status from natives, but from the same expansion that endangered the natives.

Edited by Wingzman91, 13 October 2012 - 02:07 AM.

#24 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:14 AM

Did not say this earlier because this looks like the op is just bitter about Nashville beating us.

But since it has made it to page two,
25,000 polar bears
vs
50,000 Inuits

If only the "civilized" world had sanctions in place to protect the people who lived here before we came and took their lands.
Seriously, the only reason our country is in a place where they can look down on people because of what they eat, is because they had no morals or conscience when it came to slaughtering and enslaving people they perceived as inferior.

Try to remember that these are human beings like you and I and that their society has been around for over a thousand years, they have always been an arctic, maritime people.
Polar bear meat is one of the reasons they survived to today and I don't think anyone has the right to tell them they are wrong for it, they did not overfarm bears in 1000 years and polar bears did not get to their endangered status from natives, but from the same expansion that endangered the natives.

Couldn't agree more with this.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#25 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:21 AM

Heck no, I love meat. I'm actually thinking about getting a burger for lunch.

This obviously goes deeper than polar bears. If Henrik Zetterberg killed an endangered seal with a harpoon in Sweden, I'd be more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, because I didn't start with the assumption that Zetterberg is a POS.

It was just tough for me to accept that we needed to pay a premium for a 29-year old hack would was a healthy scratch for a team that cleaned our clocks in April, yet can barely get to the cap floor in salaries. I think part of their success was DUE to the fact that guys like Tootoo weren't running guys in the corner for no reason.

http://www.sportsnet..._predators_nhl/

So you basically admit that this topic is irrelevant? Insomuch as it's based entirely on your prejudice against a man that you simply don't like? You'd give Z the benefit of the doubt for much the same offense because he's not, as you put it, a POS... a man fiercely proud of his heritage which is slowly dying out, who is employed to play a role and has the added baggage of the hassle that comes with it, namely people saying he's a POS when they don't know him. I say let him play and then criticise dude.

Please oh please can the lockout end so that we can get back to hockey so that I don't have to hear about Jordin Tootoo's bear hunting desires?

Yeah, we really need to get playing again... getting way too political on here these days :confused:

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#26 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:24 AM

Is that Tootoo in the photo? I mean on the right?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#27 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

I heard he hunts polar bears naked.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#28 luvmnger

luvmnger

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

and he fight them hand to paw.
Dino Ciccarelli will always be #1

#29 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

I heard he uses menstruating women as bait....

#30 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

Our brand new, incredibly overpriced 4th-liner-soon-to-be-healthy-scratch retweeted this yesterday:

He won't be so overpriced when he starts stirring the pot by standing up for his teammates, makes big hits, and runs the opposing netminder.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#31 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

So much for lunch. Thanks, guys.

<tried to delete mental image of Tootoo naked>

It's not like they're hunting the bears for profit. They're lunch. What's the difference between one of us going out and hunting a black bear (or whatever colour bear is native to our back yard) and Tootoo hunting polar bears?

As long as wildlife is hunted responsibly and conserved in accordance with its numbers, populations can be tracked and remain stable. What the polar bears need is for the rest of us who are not native to their habitat to stay out of the equation, which has worked for however long Inuits have been hunting polar bear. As a people dependent on a particular animal, you don't hunt your food source to extinction; you take only what you need.

If Tootoo was doing this for sport, I'd question it. Since he and his family are doing it as a method of survival that has served them for many generations, it's different than one of us going up there and doing it for fun.

#32 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

Not commenting on the naked bear hunting, but I thought this was kind of douchy regardless of who it was coming from:

@Jtootoo22: If you're an interior designer in Kelowna I can use your help for free..... #lockoutproblems

Then...

@Jtootoo22: Thanks to @paolopero1 for driving me to Bellingham WA to pick up my Viper http://t.co/iYnafvQr

Oh #lockoutproblems. When you can't afford an interior designer because you're too busy spending money on a new Viper...

Not gaining my sympathy, Toots.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#33 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

Not commenting on the naked bear hunting, but I thought this was kind of douchy regardless of who it was coming from:

@Jtootoo22: If you're an interior designer in Kelowna I can use your help for free..... #lockoutproblems

Then...

@Jtootoo22: Thanks to @paolopero1 for driving me to Bellingham WA to pick up my Viper http://t.co/iYnafvQr

Oh #lockoutproblems. When you can't afford an interior designer because you're too busy spending money on a new Viper...

Not gaining my sympathy, Toots.

It is called a joke.
No sympathy, because you had none to start with.
You also added the word new.
This is a round about stab at the players, as if given the opportunity to play they would lockout the owners.
The owners locked out the players from making the money they agreed to pay them.
If you wanna knock Tootoo, do it over the bears atleast that shows you care about something other than your longing to watch NHL hockey.
Think I need another month off.

EDIT: Hey, try and have some sympathy for the charities and donations that Tootoo supports with that undeserved money.

Edited by Wingzman91, 13 October 2012 - 07:00 PM.

#34 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:14 PM

It is called a joke.
No sympathy, because you had none to start with.
You also added the word new.
This is a round about stab at the players, as if given the opportunity to play they would lockout the owners.
The owners locked out the players from making the money they agreed to pay them.
If you wanna knock Tootoo, do it over the bears atleast that shows you care about something other than your longing to watch NHL hockey.
Think I need another month off.

EDIT: Hey, try and have some sympathy for the charities and donations that Tootoo supports with that undeserved money.

Think you have me confused with Toots haters. I'm glad we got the guy, but I also live with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek 90% of the time. The tweets I posted were days apart, and after reading the first one a couple days ago I couldn't help but laugh a little bitterly when I read the viper tweet today. Unlike some I wouldn't be following the guy (and his multiple charities, btw) on twitter if I thought he was a prick. And for your information, I care about a lot of things other than my "longing for hockey." Apparently the post got under your skin, I get it, but I don't appreciate the character attack.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#35 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:10 AM

I am curious what caliber that is in the picture...
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#36 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:50 PM

Heritage, Societal norms, Native rituals....all things that need to be considered about a culture that you know little about BEFORE you judge it.
Living off the land is a way of life in Rankins Inlet, whether you are a hockey star or a young man walking through his rite of passage. Give me break with the moral judgement about another persons culture.
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#37 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:35 AM

Toots maybe a ****** on the ice, but he leaves that crap on the ice. People I know who have met him off the ice have said he's one of the nicest athletes they've ever met.

You can't get mad at someone for hunting an animal in it's natural environment for sustenance purposes. That's the way nature intended it. If you want to talk about cruelly slaughtering animals lets talk about industrial farming, and farming in general. Totally not the way nature intended.

Don't get me wrong though I love my porterhouse steak and mickey D's dbl cheeseburgers

#38 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:36 AM

Does anyone know what caliber and make that rifle is in the picture???

#39 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

Does anyone know what caliber and make that rifle is in the picture???

impossible to tell from the picture. Looks to be semi-automatic though and naturally a high caliber.

#40 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:05 AM

impossible to tell from the picture. Looks to be semi-automatic though and naturally a high caliber.

Obvious by the action it is a semi auto... But the barrel is shorter and think it may be a 3006 maybe... No where near as long as my 300 Win Mag...

One would think a bigger caliber as such would be used to hunt a polar