• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Sacrifice the full season to guarantee Bettman's removal?

Rate this topic

Sacrifice the full season to guarantee Bettman's removal?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The owners will opt for a lockout the next time they get the chance, regardless of who's Commissioner.

Just saying.

Possibly.

But the owners were the ones who outvoted Bettman in '95 to end the lockout and save the season, back when they only needed the majority to overrule him.

The depressing part is it would take 24 out of 30 owners to vote for Bettman to be fired.

Possibly.

But the owners were the ones who outvoted Bettman in '95 to end the lockout and save the season, back when they only needed the majority to overrule him.

The depressing part is it would take 24 out of 30 owners to vote for Bettman to be fired.

the problem is that those same owners allowed bettman to become virtually untouchable.

Edited by chances14

Guest irishock

The owners will opt for a lockout the next time they get the chance, regardless of who's Commissioner.

Just saying.

Pretty much this.

I will have a hearty laugh when Bettman finally retires, and Gretzky or someone else that everyone is sure is the savior of the game, comes in and picks up right where Bettman left off. The butthurt will be enough to fill oceans.

I will have a hearty laugh when Bettman finally retires, and Gretzky or someone else that everyone is sure is the savior of the game, comes in and picks up right where Bettman left off. The butthurt will be enough to fill oceans.

I do not look forward to taking a cruise on and/or swimming in an ocean of butthurt, thank you very much. But I fear your point is correct. No matter who steps into that role, there are going to be decisions that are made that we the fans don't agree with. However, I do think that having someone as commissioner who has a passion for the sport and an understanding of what makes it great will make a difference. How much of a difference? TBD...

But I really do hate Bettman with a fiery passion.

Bettman is 3 for 3 on lockouts during CBA negotiations, so it would be a challenge for someone to keep up that track record.

Personally I'd rather hope the game be healthy and not lose seasons rather than have a smug laugh while Bettman's successor continues to ruin the league.

But to each their own.

Possibly.

It is 23/30, only 8 owners need to side with Bettman, so 7 or less on his side overrules him

The owners love Uncle Gary. Remember, the vote was 30-0.

They do not all love gary bettman. Most sided with him because it only takes 8 owners to give him full power, so they did not want the nhl to seem weak, and like they weren't all on the same page to the pa. Many owners do not agree with the lockout, but it will take 23 owners to overrule Bettman

It is 23/30, only 8 owners need to side with Bettman, so 7 or less on his side overrules him

They do not all love gary bettman. Most sided with him because it only takes 8 owners to give him full power, so they did not want the nhl to seem weak, and like they weren't all on the same page to the pa. Many owners do not agree with the lockout, but it will take 23 owners to overrule Bettman

Ah, you're right. Bad math on my part. Still a depressing number though.

And as I've mentioned, because the NHL owns the Coyotes I have to wonder if Bettman gets that vote. If he didn't then I'm not sure who would.

What do you think would happen if the owners fired Bettman and hired someone else? Do you honestly think any commissioner, whose salary is paid by the owners, is going to side with the players? Do you really think a different commissioner will keep his job if he capitulates to the demands of the Players association?

The lockout is what everyone wants except the fans. Fans need to face the fact that they are not the owners of the team, the actual owners are. The owners have to protect their bottom line and the health of the league. Their loyalty is rightly directed to their wallet.

They also know they won't actually lose any fans as a result of their actions because fans, by definition are loyal to the team. Fair weather fans will always come and go.

Likewise the players have no loyalty to the fans, that's why they're all playing for in Europe. They sacrificed all the lazy hours you and I spent as a kids working hard so one day they might be part of the 1%.

It sucks for us but we don't really matter to any of the parties involved at the end of the day. And before anyone is tempted to judge too harshly, how would you respond is someone was trying to take more of your money?

What do you think would happen if the owners fired Bettman and hired someone else? Do you honestly think any commissioner, whose salary is paid by the owners, is going to side with the players? Do you really think a different commissioner will keep his job if he capitulates to the demands of the Players association?

The lockout is what everyone wants except the fans. Fans need to face the fact that they are not the owners of the team, the actual owners are. The owners have to protect their bottom line and the health of the league. Their loyalty is rightly directed to their wallet.

They also know they won't actually lose any fans as a result of their actions because fans, by definition are loyal to the team. Fair weather fans will always come and go.

Likewise the players have no loyalty to the fans, that's why they're all playing for in Europe. They sacrificed all the lazy hours you and I spent as a kids working hard so one day they might be part of the 1%.

It sucks for us but we don't really matter to any of the parties involved at the end of the day. And before anyone is tempted to judge too harshly, how would you respond is someone was trying to take more of your money?

Sure a commissioner will cater to the owners but there are ni excuses for 3 of 3 and tons of failed teams, some even can't make it with revenue sharing, fans want to see superteams instead of forced parity crap.

The midget just isn't the right guy for the job we need a guy like Gretzky someone the owners, players and fans respect.

It is also the fault of the owners to let Bettman gain power and agreeing to keep some VERY questionable franchises in stupid places.

The PA provided solutions and options, the NHL declined so this lockout is their fault and no, I don't blame the PA for calling out these gamblers if I sign a contract I expect and have the right to get it honored. I am starting to wonder how some of them are thinking of their new teams now.

The only thing you can blame the PA for is waiting too long other than that' this is an owners lockout forced by an atrocious midget.

Tldr sacrifice whatever it takes to get him fired and relocate some teams in irder to get more support and even more revenue instead of wasting it on teams that just aren't hockey markets.

Sent from my BlackBerry

Ah, you're right. Bad math on my part. Still a depressing number though.

And as I've mentioned, because the NHL owns the Coyotes I have to wonder if Bettman gets that vote. If he didn't then I'm not sure who would.

Even if Bettman got the vote, it wold still take 23 teams to override him (yes, still a depressing number) and bettman getting a vote does destroy a legimtimate vote, the problem is not enough owners want to stand up against him...

Guest Johnz96

You got it all wrong. The players aren't making any demands, it is Bettman and the owners making demands counting on the players to capitulate

You got it all wrong. The players aren't making any demands, it is Bettman and the owners making demands counting on the players to capitulate

both sides are making demands, otherwise we wouldn't be in this mess

the players demand that there be no salary rollbacks. the owners demand that they get higher percentage of league revenue.

Edited by chances14