• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Sacrifice the full season to guarantee Bettman's removal?

Rate this topic

Sacrifice the full season to guarantee Bettman's removal?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

sleepwalker... I will bet you ONE MILLION dollars! :shifty:

LOL

I'll pay you in Bettman brand fun money. ;)

Seriously though, I'll believe it when I see it. I am also not forgetting that the NHL just hired a high dollar government policy spin doctor to help their PR campaign, so... Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it. I am hoping as much as anyone that they can finally hash this s*** out and get the season under way though.

My "feeling" is based on the fact that this lockout is nothing like the last one, both sides knew where middle ground would be found from the start (just like all of us fans). They just needed the situation to get a little "real" like cancelling games and losing out on a full 82 game season. There is no huge issue like a salary cap this time, the league is experiencing unprecedented growth, they have the biggest Winter Classic of all time coming up and need to keep HBO doing 24/7 in the interest of the growth of the sport as a whole (Which means hockey in 2-5 weeks at the latest).

What do you all think now after today's optimistic news? That's what I mean, I have no idea what all the doomsdayers were/are basing their opinions on, regardless of Bettman's track record, a full lockout this year over these issues never added up.

Edited by T-Ruff

Really? I'm guessing they were basing their opinion on everything that had been said by both sides up until this point.

You have to take everything that is said publicly with a grain of salt, it's all posturing and/or trying to win PR. Luckily they were quick to realize most fans weren't taking sides and were just furious and confused at both sides silliness and now are actually getting down to business.

Edited by T-Ruff

You have to take everything that is said publicly with a grain of salt, it's all posturing and/or trying to win PR.

I agree, thats why I am hesitant to get excited over the NHL supposed great new offer.

Luckily they were quick to realize most fans weren't taking sides and were just furious and confused at both sides silliness and now are actually getting down to business.

Actually thats not true. The NHL saw that this time around the fans were more on the side of the players, so they (the NHL) went out and hired a high priced spin-doctor to try to shift the PR "war" in their favor. This just happened a couple days ago.

So looks like a deal will get done, how many of those 53 that voted yes, would still vote yes now?

Well if a deal is getting done, obviously not many. Most people said if they're gonna lose the season anyway, it'd be nice to get rid of Bettman too.

But we can take a poll again when he locks the players out at the end of this coming CBA.

Actually thats not true. The NHL saw that this time around the fans were more on the side of the players, so they (the NHL) went out and hired a high priced spin-doctor to try to shift the PR "war" in their favor. This just happened a couple days ago.

You're in the minority there I think, the player's initial offer was just as laughable as the league's, and everything I've read/listened to/talked to repeats the rhetoric that most fans weren't on either side and they saw the attempts from both sides to reach out to them as pathetic and disingenuous. Most fans were on the Fan's side this lockout i.e. "Just get it done and stop disrespecting us".

The NHL certainly has gained some PR from this offer, but that's only because it actually is substantial and not just more empty words.

Edited by T-Ruff

So looks like a deal will get done, how many of those 53 that voted yes, would still vote yes now?

I would still sacrifice the season to remove Bettman, if it was Bettman gone or a season for 2012-2013, I would choose Bettman being fired

I would still sacrifice the season to remove Bettman, if it was Bettman gone or a season for 2012-2013, I would choose Bettman being fired

that's nonsense.

especially considering the wings have the winter classic this year. that's the biggest reason why i wouldn't sacrifice this season to remove bettman.

God i totally hate bettman too but we have no idea if the next the commissioner will be better or even worse. Assuming that all lockout and NHL problems will be fixed by firing bettman is foolish. The owners hired this mofo and who's to say they won't just hire bettman 2.0.

The wings have way more to gain this season by playing and keeping gary than not playing and losing gary....unless the next comish is really the most awesome guy ever, which i doubt

Edited by number9

that's nonsense.

especially considering the wings have the winter classic this year. that's the biggest reason why i wouldn't sacrifice this season to remove bettman.

You bring up a valid point with the WC but it would be simply moved to next year instead. It would also give us a chance to snag some decent free agents over the summer and bolster our D, not that I take issue with our current lineup but it definately could use a bit of help.

God i totally hate bettman too but we have no idea if the next the commissioner will be better or even worse. Assuming that all lockout and NHL problems will be fixed by firing bettman is foolish. The owners hired this mofo and who's to say they won't just hire bettman 2.0.

The wings have way more to gain this season by playing and keeping gary than not playing and losing gary....unless the next comish is really the most awesome guy ever, which i doubt

I wouldn't want to lose the season, but what're the odds the next commissioner would be worse?

What are they going to do, lock players out every time a CBA expires? Come off as a condescending d-bag every time they speak publicly? ignore massive clutching and grabbing for years before finally doing something about it? Not really even like hockey?

I know there's the possibility they could somehow find someone even worse than Bettman, but it seems pretty unlikely.

Guest RedWingsDad

This is just outrageous if your a true hockey (read: NHL) fan... sacrifice a whole year of Dats and Z who only have a few, if any, prime years left? Perhaps you are satisfied with other sports in lieu of hockey? (I am not) Or perhaps you just hate Bettman that much?

What a statement....

As for myself... I just want to watch NHL hockey!

Edited by RedWingsDad

Guest Kronstantinov

Really? I'm guessing they were basing their opinion on everything that had been said by both sides up until this point.

I wouldn't want to lose the season, but what're the odds the next commissioner would be worse?

What are they going to do, lock players out every time a CBA expires? Come off as a condescending d-bag every time they speak publicly? ignore massive clutching and grabbing for years before finally doing something about it? Not really even like hockey?

I know there's the possibility they could somehow find someone even worse than Bettman, but it seems pretty unlikely.

Bud Selig may be looking for a change. Heck, Roger Goodell also might be on the move. David Stern? Sepp Blatter? They have the experience.

Bud Selig may be looking for a change. Heck, Roger Goodell also might be on the move. David Stern?

All of whom are despised by the players and fans in their respective leagues. Being a commissioner is a thankless job in pro sports it seems.

Edited by chances14

Guest Johnz96

All of whom are despised by the players and fans in their respective leagues. Being a commissioner is a thankless job in pro sports it seems.

I don't think they are all despised as much by their customers as Bettman is by his

I don't think they are all despised as much by their customers as Bettman is by his

You must not pay attention to any other sports. All of those men are despised by the fans of their leagues. Read any articles about Stern or Goodell, and it talks about how they try to out evil each other (Bountygate in the NFL, both leagues have recent work stoppages)

The fact is, it's the Commissioner's job to be the hated "face" of the league. That's why they are paid well. Instead of you hating Jeremy Jacobs, Mike Illitch, and Ted Leonsis, instead you hate Bettman. He doesn't do any of this stuff on his own, but it's all his fault.

Also, thinking someone like Gretzky could be the Commissioner is laughable at best. He has none of the requisite experience, and he's not the type of person that can stand being hated. He was a great player, but was a horrible coach, because that's not where his skills lie. I seriously doubt his ability to score goals will help him in an owners' meeting. IF Bettman gets fired, expect another Commissioner in the mold of Bettman, Goodell, Stern.

You must not pay attention to any other sports. All of those men are despised by the fans of their leagues. Read any articles about Stern or Goodell, and it talks about how they try to out evil each other (Bountygate in the NFL, both leagues have recent work stoppages)

The fact is, it's the Commissioner's job to be the hated "face" of the league. That's why they are paid well. Instead of you hating Jeremy Jacobs, Mike Illitch, and Ted Leonsis, instead you hate Bettman. He doesn't do any of this stuff on his own, but it's all his fault.

Also, thinking someone like Gretzky could be the Commissioner is laughable at best. He has none of the requisite experience, and he's not the type of person that can stand being hated. He was a great player, but was a horrible coach, because that's not where his skills lie. I seriously doubt his ability to score goals will help him in an owners' meeting. IF Bettman gets fired, expect another Commissioner in the mold of Bettman, Goodell, Stern.

I don't need to love the commissioner of the NHL, I just need him not to cost the league 1,780 games.

I know Bettman's job isn't easy, but it's not unlike the commissioners of other sports, who while hated have managed to avoid the regular work stoppages Bettman utilizes.

I don't need to love the commissioner of the NHL, I just need him not to cost the league 1,780 games.

I know Bettman's job isn't easy, but it's not unlike the commissioners of other sports, who while hated have managed to avoid the regular work stoppages Bettman utilizes.

You mean the NBA lockout that wrapped up a year ago when the players caved? Or how about the NBA lockout of 98-99, where they lost 30+ games?

Or are you referring to the MLB strike of 1994-1995? The 232-day strike, which lasted from August 12, 1994, to April 2, 1995, led to the cancellation of between 931 and 948 games overall, and the entire 1994 postseason and World Series (also involved Fehr, interesting.)

NFL Refs lockout that ended a couple of weeks ago? 2011 NFL lockout?

Nah, you're right. These guys are saints. :S