Photo
- - - - -

Sacrifice the full season to guarantee Bettman's removal?

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

Poll: Sacrifice the full season to guarantee Bettman's removal?

Sacrifice the full season to guarantee Bettman's removal?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

You have to take everything that is said publicly with a grain of salt, it's all posturing and/or trying to win PR.

I agree, thats why I am hesitant to get excited over the NHL supposed great new offer.

Luckily they were quick to realize most fans weren't taking sides and were just furious and confused at both sides silliness and now are actually getting down to business.

Actually thats not true. The NHL saw that this time around the fans were more on the side of the players, so they (the NHL) went out and hired a high priced spin-doctor to try to shift the PR "war" in their favor. This just happened a couple days ago.

#82 Wings10

Wings10

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

So looks like a deal will get done, how many of those 53 that voted yes, would still vote yes now?

#83 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

So looks like a deal will get done, how many of those 53 that voted yes, would still vote yes now?

Well if a deal is getting done, obviously not many. Most people said if they're gonna lose the season anyway, it'd be nice to get rid of Bettman too.

But we can take a poll again when he locks the players out at the end of this coming CBA.

#84 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

If only Uncle Gary hadn't used the "Power of the Lockout".

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#85 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

Actually thats not true. The NHL saw that this time around the fans were more on the side of the players, so they (the NHL) went out and hired a high priced spin-doctor to try to shift the PR "war" in their favor. This just happened a couple days ago.

You're in the minority there I think, the player's initial offer was just as laughable as the league's, and everything I've read/listened to/talked to repeats the rhetoric that most fans weren't on either side and they saw the attempts from both sides to reach out to them as pathetic and disingenuous. Most fans were on the Fan's side this lockout i.e. "Just get it done and stop disrespecting us".

The NHL certainly has gained some PR from this offer, but that's only because it actually is substantial and not just more empty words.

Edited by T-Ruff, 16 October 2012 - 07:39 PM.

#86 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

Exactly he needs to go no matter the outcome.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#87 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

I would still sacrifice the season to remove Bettman, if it was Bettman gone or a season for 2012-2013, I would choose Bettman being fired

#88 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:58 PM

I would still sacrifice the season to remove Bettman, if it was Bettman gone or a season for 2012-2013, I would choose Bettman being fired

that's nonsense.

especially considering the wings have the winter classic this year. that's the biggest reason why i wouldn't sacrifice this season to remove bettman.

#89 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:04 AM

God i totally hate bettman too but we have no idea if the next the commissioner will be better or even worse. Assuming that all lockout and NHL problems will be fixed by firing bettman is foolish. The owners hired this mofo and who's to say they won't just hire bettman 2.0.

The wings have way more to gain this season by playing and keeping gary than not playing and losing gary....unless the next comish is really the most awesome guy ever, which i doubt

Edited by number9, 17 October 2012 - 01:05 AM.

#90 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

that's nonsense.

especially considering the wings have the winter classic this year. that's the biggest reason why i wouldn't sacrifice this season to remove bettman.

You bring up a valid point with the WC but it would be simply moved to next year instead. It would also give us a chance to snag some decent free agents over the summer and bolster our D, not that I take issue with our current lineup but it definately could use a bit of help.

#91 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

God i totally hate bettman too but we have no idea if the next the commissioner will be better or even worse. Assuming that all lockout and NHL problems will be fixed by firing bettman is foolish. The owners hired this mofo and who's to say they won't just hire bettman 2.0.

The wings have way more to gain this season by playing and keeping gary than not playing and losing gary....unless the next comish is really the most awesome guy ever, which i doubt

I wouldn't want to lose the season, but what're the odds the next commissioner would be worse?

What are they going to do, lock players out every time a CBA expires? Come off as a condescending d-bag every time they speak publicly? ignore massive clutching and grabbing for years before finally doing something about it? Not really even like hockey?

I know there's the possibility they could somehow find someone even worse than Bettman, but it seems pretty unlikely.

#92 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

This is just outrageous if your a true hockey (read: NHL) fan... sacrifice a whole year of Dats and Z who only have a few, if any, prime years left? Perhaps you are satisfied with other sports in lieu of hockey? (I am not) Or perhaps you just hate Bettman that much?

What a statement....

As for myself... I just want to watch NHL hockey!

Edited by RedWingsDad, 17 October 2012 - 01:01 PM.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#93 Kronstantinov

Kronstantinov

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

Really? I'm guessing they were basing their opinion on everything that had been said by both sides up until this point.

#94 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

I wouldn't want to lose the season, but what're the odds the next commissioner would be worse?

What are they going to do, lock players out every time a CBA expires? Come off as a condescending d-bag every time they speak publicly? ignore massive clutching and grabbing for years before finally doing something about it? Not really even like hockey?

I know there's the possibility they could somehow find someone even worse than Bettman, but it seems pretty unlikely.

Bud Selig may be looking for a change. Heck, Roger Goodell also might be on the move. David Stern? Sepp Blatter? They have the experience.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#95 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

Bud Selig may be looking for a change. Heck, Roger Goodell also might be on the move. David Stern?

All of whom are despised by the players and fans in their respective leagues. Being a commissioner is a thankless job in pro sports it seems.

Edited by chances14, 17 October 2012 - 05:07 PM.

#96 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

All of whom are despised by the players and fans in their respective leagues. Being a commissioner is a thankless job in pro sports it seems.

I don't think they are all despised as much by their customers as Bettman is by his

#97 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

I don't think they are all despised as much by their customers as Bettman is by his

I think so too Bettman might very well be the most hated commissioner in all of sports, if he finally gets the boot I think a guy like Gretzky could do wonders.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#98 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,087 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:39 AM

What are they going to do, lock players out every time a CBA expires?

Yes.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#99 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:36 AM

You must not pay attention to any other sports. All of those men are despised by the fans of their leagues. Read any articles about Stern or Goodell, and it talks about how they try to out evil each other (Bountygate in the NFL, both leagues have recent work stoppages)

The fact is, it's the Commissioner's job to be the hated "face" of the league. That's why they are paid well. Instead of you hating Jeremy Jacobs, Mike Illitch, and Ted Leonsis, instead you hate Bettman. He doesn't do any of this stuff on his own, but it's all his fault.

Also, thinking someone like Gretzky could be the Commissioner is laughable at best. He has none of the requisite experience, and he's not the type of person that can stand being hated. He was a great player, but was a horrible coach, because that's not where his skills lie. I seriously doubt his ability to score goals will help him in an owners' meeting. IF Bettman gets fired, expect another Commissioner in the mold of Bettman, Goodell, Stern.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#100 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

You must not pay attention to any other sports. All of those men are despised by the fans of their leagues. Read any articles about Stern or Goodell, and it talks about how they try to out evil each other (Bountygate in the NFL, both leagues have recent work stoppages)

The fact is, it's the Commissioner's job to be the hated "face" of the league. That's why they are paid well. Instead of you hating Jeremy Jacobs, Mike Illitch, and Ted Leonsis, instead you hate Bettman. He doesn't do any of this stuff on his own, but it's all his fault.

Also, thinking someone like Gretzky could be the Commissioner is laughable at best. He has none of the requisite experience, and he's not the type of person that can stand being hated. He was a great player, but was a horrible coach, because that's not where his skills lie. I seriously doubt his ability to score goals will help him in an owners' meeting. IF Bettman gets fired, expect another Commissioner in the mold of Bettman, Goodell, Stern.

I don't need to love the commissioner of the NHL, I just need him not to cost the league 1,780 games.

I know Bettman's job isn't easy, but it's not unlike the commissioners of other sports, who while hated have managed to avoid the regular work stoppages Bettman utilizes.