• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Sacrifice the full season to guarantee Bettman's removal?

Rate this topic

Sacrifice the full season to guarantee Bettman's removal?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If they at least can get someone, who isn,t a complete stubborn growing the game by punishing clubs with a fanbase and a great hockey history idiot,, so his failed non hockey markets can be competitive it woulb be a step forward

The N H L simply can't support 30 franchises a fact everyone DESPITE the weasel knows..

Sent from my BlackBerry

I love how some on here seem to blindly follow everything the nhlpa says or does.

Some of you sound like a lot of employees here at work. owner of the company makes billions why can;t he give me just 1 million dollars. It wouldn't hurt him at all. hahahah

Some how Fehr is a Saint for looking out for the players and being greedy but Bettman is the devil. I don't get it.

Guest Johnz96

I love how some on here seem to blindly follow everything the nhlpa says or does.

Some of you sound like a lot of employees here at work. owner of the company makes billions why can;t he give me just 1 million dollars. It wouldn't hurt him at all. hahahah

Some how Fehr is a Saint for looking out for the players and being greedy but Bettman is the devil. I don't get it.

Bettman and the owners locked out the players (and fans) to renege on contracts they signed and offered in the first place, it's really as simple as that.

If they at least can get someone, who isn,t a complete stubborn growing the game by punishing clubs with a fanbase and a great hockey history idiot,, so his failed non hockey markets can be competitive it woulb be a step forward

The N H L simply can't support 30 franchises a fact everyone DESPITE the weasel knows..

Sent from my BlackBerry

The NHL definitely can support 30 franchises, they just need to be in hockey locations.

Make the following relocations:

Phoenix --> Quebec (instant rivalry with Habs)

Islanders --> Brooklyn (rumoured)

Devils --> Seattle (instant rivalry with Canucks)

Florida --> Saskatoon (the city itself and surrounding areas could support a team...the Jets are sold out for 5 years with a comparable population I believe)

Not sure what other teams are horribly cash strapped, but Hamilton, Ontario and Markham, Ontario could support teams and they would both be top 10 profit margin in the league.

All I know is that the parity thing is working in the NFL because that league is fun to watch and wants to please its fans. The NHL is fun to watch, but they simply dont give a s*** about us.

O, plz.

Football is the unofficial religion of the United States of America.

It is 23/30, only 8 owners need to side with Bettman, so 7 or less on his side overrules him

They do not all love gary bettman. Most sided with him because it only takes 8 owners to give him full power, so they did not want the nhl to seem weak, and like they weren't all on the same page to the pa. Many owners do not agree with the lockout, but it will take 23 owners to overrule Bettman

Do you have a source I can read for this? I was under the impression the owners had all the power and Bettman was their day to day guy and public figurehead.

Do you have a source I can read for this? I was under the impression the owners had all the power and Bettman was their day to day guy and public figurehead.

I believe this is true but regardless of whether its is, if the owners werent happy with Bettman they can have him replaced. The fact that they havent speaks as to whether they are behind him.

I dont think removing Bettman would solve much of anything but he doesnt do himself any favors. That being said he comes across as such a weasely jerk that absolutely no one likes him. Just haveing a somewhat likeable commisioner probably wouldnt hurt.

Edited by UP2HERE

it all has stemmed from quotes from dan boyle who said that he thinks not all the owners are on the same page

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406814

the truth is nobody knows for sure how many, or if any, owners are against this lockout. it's all just assumptions and speculation.

I believe this is true but regardless of whether its is, if the owners werent happy with Bettman they can have him replaced. The fact that they havent speaks as to whether they are behind him.

I dont think removing Bettman would solve much of anything but he doesnt do himself any favors. That being said he comes across as such a weasely jerk that absolutely no one likes him. Just haveing a somewhat likeable commisioner probably wouldnt hurt.

Name the last likeable commissioner in any sport. They all suck, and always have. It's the nature of the beast.

Guest Kronstantinov

A quote for which part? And the thing is, yes tghe owners have all the "power" in a sense, but as long as bettman has 8 owner votes (not sure how phoenix's vote would weigh in here) to back him up, he basically has all the power in the nhl at his fingertip. He can do or say what he wishes when he wishes it, with support of 8 owners.

Name the last likeable commissioner in any sport. They all suck, and always have. It's the nature of the beast.

I don't need or want to like the Commissioner.

The I would prefer one who doesn't lock out the players and cost us hockey games every single CBA negotiation. The dislikes commissioners from other sports have done a better job of that.

I don't need or want to like the Commissioner.

The I would prefer one who doesn't lock out the players and cost us hockey games every single CBA negotiation. The dislikes commissioners from other sports have done a better job of that.

Oh, you mean like all the other commissioners?

You mean the NBA lockout that wrapped up a year ago when the players caved? Or how about the NBA lockout of 98-99, where they lost 30+ games?

Or are you referring to the MLB strike of 1994-1995? The 232-day strike, which lasted from August 12, 1994, to April 2, 1995, led to the cancellation of between 931 and 948 games overall, and the entire 1994 postseason and World Series (also involved Fehr, interesting.)

NFL Refs lockout that ended a couple of weeks ago? 2011 NFL lockout?

Nah, you're right. These guys are saints. :S

How are those remotely comparable? Bettman has been commissioner for three lockouts, including the first entirely canceled season in professional sports. The NBA missed very little time relatively, MLB hasn't had a lockout in over 15 years and the NFL never lost a game last year. The NHL is staring at a second season being wiped out now.

No, none of the commissioners are saints. However, one's track record of taking away the game is in a different league. All of the other sports have had negotiation struggles at times, but no one does a lockout like Gary.

Edited by GoWings1905

How did I know you'd go to the "Well, those other guys only murdered a few people, Bettman murdered way more!" argument

You people are ridiculous and blind. It doesn't matter if it's Gary Bettman or Wayne Gretzky. If the owners want a lockout, that's what's gonna happen. You want to rail against something, rail against the owners. It makes me laugh that you really think this was a cabal of 7 owners. ALL of the owners are rich men, and they didn't get rich by not taking advantage of situations when they had an opportunity. Mike Illitch is not sitting there going "C'mon guys. I really want to lose money, so let's just let the guys play." The owners are not in this to lose money; they are going to make as much as they possibly can. Sounds just like the players, but the players are good, and the owners are bad.

There are *no* good guys in this situation. The owners voted for a lockout, and the players hired their own Bettman to fight the real Bettman. Instead of someone who might be willing to negotiate, they decided to hire the most contentious and litigious labor negotiator around. What does that tell you? Hell, most of the players even understand that the Fehr brothers could care less about hockey.

But, keep on believing that the players are operating in good faith, and that the poor owners like Mike Illitch and Terry Pegula are being thwarted in their quest to lose money for your benefit by an evil Commissioner and an Illuminati of 7 owners. Oooh Booga Booga

How did I know you'd go to the "Well, those other guys only murdered a few people, Bettman murdered way more!" argument

You people are ridiculous and blind. It doesn't matter if it's Gary Bettman or Wayne Gretzky. If the owners want a lockout, that's what's gonna happen. You want to rail against something, rail against the owners. It makes me laugh that you really think this was a cabal of 7 owners. ALL of the owners are rich men, and they didn't get rich by not taking advantage of situations when they had an opportunity. Mike Illitch is not sitting there going "C'mon guys. I really want to lose money, so let's just let the guys play." The owners are not in this to lose money; they are going to make as much as they possibly can. Sounds just like the players, but the players are good, and the owners are bad.

There are *no* good guys in this situation. The owners voted for a lockout, and the players hired their own Bettman to fight the real Bettman. Instead of someone who might be willing to negotiate, they decided to hire the most contentious and litigious labor negotiator around. What does that tell you? Hell, most of the players even understand that the Fehr brothers could care less about hockey.

But, keep on believing that the players are operating in good faith, and that the poor owners like Mike Illitch and Terry Pegula are being thwarted in their quest to lose money for your benefit by an evil Commissioner and an Illuminati of 7 owners. Oooh Booga Booga

Make your arguments without name calling please. Thank you.

And following the name calling up with a straw man fallacy doesn't help your case either. I'd take a commissioner who's lost under 800 to one who's closing in on 2,000 in less than twenty years every time.

I don't expect the commissioner to be perfect. I just don't want lockout to be his first move, which it clearly is with Bettman.

And actually it wouldn't surprise me if Illitch was saying exactly that. Did you see the video about the last lockout? Where they talk about Ilitch getting mad at other owners saying he's being punished because they don't know how to run a business? Then there's the articles that talk about how Bettman runs things as commissioner. Not sure if you saw those either, but these aren't ideas we're just inventing.

Comparing the NHL to those other sports really isnt fair. The NFL is such a well developed league that a monkey could probably be commissioner. MLB has its issues but baseball is an American icon. The NHL is 4th in the US so the commisioner has challenges that those other leagues just dont have.

You fail to take into account that Illitch does not lose money on the wings, the last 5 years or so his "losing" franchise was in the top 5 revenue teams every year.

You fail to take into account that Illitch does not lose money on the wings, the last 5 years or so his "losing" franchise was in the top 5 revenue teams every year.

Also it could be more than that if the best owner in all of sports wouldn't have th share the revenue wth failed franchises or pay for a effing undersized anti hockeyguy.

The players hired Fehr to get a fair deal no offer from the NHL has been close to that.

I'd say however long it takes if some OWNER created problems and this atrocious commissioner are removed its well worth it.

Sent from my BlackBerry