Photo
- - - - -

Sacrifice the full season to guarantee Bettman's removal?

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

Poll: Sacrifice the full season to guarantee Bettman's removal?

Sacrifice the full season to guarantee Bettman's removal?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

A contract ones again is a legal binding agreement, the contract you are signing today with all the clauses can not be modified until BOTH sides agree to it. Boy I'd love seeing ******* like Jacobs crying infront of a judge about a contract he has willingly given out and then with all his billionaire friends crying again about not being able to pay it.

Judges would rip these dirty gamblers a new one.

and I would love to see the owners stand against a bunch of greedy players and their greedy union.....oh wait.
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#122 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:19 PM

Guessing you've missed the point of who created this mess. Just a hint it is an undersized overpaid minime with a bunch of 8 billionaire blowhards.

The owners decided to allow the most hated man in hockey such powers and they've accepted things like

- sunbelt failure
- refusing to move some babysitted teams
- can't control themselves
- blindsiding players this summer

All the players did was accepting great contracts +willingly & freely+ offered by a bunch multi billionaires.

Oh and btw. teams like the Wings are getting punished and limited for having a long tradition and an established fanbase. Illitch has to pay millions so the effing midget can support his stupid grow the game and false parity crap.

Wanna swim with the Sharks but can't support to do so ? Well could luck in another city hungry for hockey such as Quebec.

Sent from my BlackBerry

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#123 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:06 PM

You really think it can get worse? 94-95 lost half a season, 2004-2005 lost a full season, 2012-2013 been locked out a month and a half thus far. I don't think it can get worse

Like I said, the owners voted for the lockout, not Bettman. The owners are the ones who gave bettman esstentially infinite power.

Imo As long as you have those supposed 8 hard line owners in there, we are going to be going through this same thing down the road, regardless who the commissioner is

Edited by chances14, 19 October 2012 - 11:07 PM.

#124 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,909 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

Like I said, the owners voted for the lockout, not Bettman. The owners are the ones who gave bettman esstentially infinite power.

Imo As long as you have those supposed 8 hard line owners in there, we are going to be going through this same thing down the road, regardless who the commissioner is

I'd hope that if they ever did manage to get rid of Bettman, they'd change back the rule he got changed to how it was in 1995.

#125 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

I'd hope that if they ever did manage to get rid of Bettman, they'd change back the rule he got changed to how it was in 1995.

so would i but considering that they let him get that much power, i wouldn't get my hopes up

#126 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,892 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

But would it take a 3/4 or just a simple majority to pass the rule that would get rid of the new rule?

I would think that since the inception of that rule, there has been some regret on the part of the owners.

#127 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:08 AM

If they at least can get someone, who isn,t a complete stubborn growing the game by punishing clubs with a fanbase and a great hockey history idiot,, so his failed non hockey markets can be competitive it woulb be a step forward

The N H L simply can't support 30 franchises a fact everyone DESPITE the weasel knows..

Sent from my BlackBerry

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#128 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,892 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:36 AM

Just out of curiosity...
If Bettman was removed from his position, which sport would he go ruin next- baseball or football?

#129 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

I love how some on here seem to blindly follow everything the nhlpa says or does.
Some of you sound like a lot of employees here at work. owner of the company makes billions why can;t he give me just 1 million dollars. It wouldn't hurt him at all. hahahah
Some how Fehr is a Saint for looking out for the players and being greedy but Bettman is the devil. I don't get it.
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#130 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

I love how some on here seem to blindly follow everything the nhlpa says or does.
Some of you sound like a lot of employees here at work. owner of the company makes billions why can;t he give me just 1 million dollars. It wouldn't hurt him at all. hahahah
Some how Fehr is a Saint for looking out for the players and being greedy but Bettman is the devil. I don't get it.

Bettman and the owners locked out the players (and fans) to renege on contracts they signed and offered in the first place, it's really as simple as that.

#131 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

If they at least can get someone, who isn,t a complete stubborn growing the game by punishing clubs with a fanbase and a great hockey history idiot,, so his failed non hockey markets can be competitive it woulb be a step forward

The N H L simply can't support 30 franchises a fact everyone DESPITE the weasel knows..

Sent from my BlackBerry

The NHL definitely can support 30 franchises, they just need to be in hockey locations.

Make the following relocations:

Phoenix --> Quebec (instant rivalry with Habs)
Islanders --> Brooklyn (rumoured)
Devils --> Seattle (instant rivalry with Canucks)
Florida --> Saskatoon (the city itself and surrounding areas could support a team...the Jets are sold out for 5 years with a comparable population I believe)

Not sure what other teams are horribly cash strapped, but Hamilton, Ontario and Markham, Ontario could support teams and they would both be top 10 profit margin in the league.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#132 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,057 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

All I know is that the parity thing is working in the NFL because that league is fun to watch and wants to please its fans. The NHL is fun to watch, but they simply dont give a s*** about us.

O, plz.

Football is the unofficial religion of the United States of America.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#133 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

It is 23/30, only 8 owners need to side with Bettman, so 7 or less on his side overrules him

They do not all love gary bettman. Most sided with him because it only takes 8 owners to give him full power, so they did not want the nhl to seem weak, and like they weren't all on the same page to the pa. Many owners do not agree with the lockout, but it will take 23 owners to overrule Bettman

Do you have a source I can read for this? I was under the impression the owners had all the power and Bettman was their day to day guy and public figurehead.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#134 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Do you have a source I can read for this? I was under the impression the owners had all the power and Bettman was their day to day guy and public figurehead.

I believe this is true but regardless of whether its is, if the owners werent happy with Bettman they can have him replaced. The fact that they havent speaks as to whether they are behind him.

I dont think removing Bettman would solve much of anything but he doesnt do himself any favors. That being said he comes across as such a weasely jerk that absolutely no one likes him. Just haveing a somewhat likeable commisioner probably wouldnt hurt.

Edited by UP2HERE, 23 October 2012 - 12:36 PM.

#135 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

it all has stemmed from quotes from dan boyle who said that he thinks not all the owners are on the same page

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406814

the truth is nobody knows for sure how many, or if any, owners are against this lockout. it's all just assumptions and speculation.

#136 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

I believe this is true but regardless of whether its is, if the owners werent happy with Bettman they can have him replaced. The fact that they havent speaks as to whether they are behind him.

I dont think removing Bettman would solve much of anything but he doesnt do himself any favors. That being said he comes across as such a weasely jerk that absolutely no one likes him. Just haveing a somewhat likeable commisioner probably wouldnt hurt.

Name the last likeable commissioner in any sport. They all suck, and always have. It's the nature of the beast.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#137 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

Name the last likeable commissioner in any sport. They all suck, and always have. It's the nature of the beast.

I agree. Thats why I included "Somewhat" likeable.

#138 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

That's an easy one: Gil Stein.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#139 Kronstantinov

Kronstantinov

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:48 PM

Seems many people had that impression and some still do

http://www.google.ca...EGvz0mg&cad=rja

http://www.nytimes.c...l-enforcer.html

Edited by Kronstantinov, 23 October 2012 - 11:23 PM.

#140 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

A quote for which part? And the thing is, yes tghe owners have all the "power" in a sense, but as long as bettman has 8 owner votes (not sure how phoenix's vote would weigh in here) to back him up, he basically has all the power in the nhl at his fingertip. He can do or say what he wishes when he wishes it, with support of 8 owners.