Photo
- - - - -

Sacrifice the full season to guarantee Bettman's removal?

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

Poll: Sacrifice the full season to guarantee Bettman's removal?

Sacrifice the full season to guarantee Bettman's removal?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#161 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

Personally I'd rather have a league with fewer teams, no salary cap and no work stoppage every 5 years.

Well they've lost money because of the on ice product and owning a hockey club is a longtime investment. You don't see a guy like Pegula whining...

The NHL could just wipe out the floor or make it 26 % so the so called poor teams can wont be forced to overspend but the problem is Bettman and his stupid parity illusion.

You think an original 6 matchup would have had such terrible ratings? I highly doubt that.

Ok the southern teams are a neccessary evil then don't cry about losing money, because there are better options.

The NHL and Bettman created these problems so it is on to them to fix it with their own money. How about the midget paying 50 % of his salary to help out his mickeymouse clubs? The bastard would move them asap before accepting well not surprising if you think about his background.
Sent from my BlackBerry

I sure am glad you're not the Commissioner. I can't imagine how many people who love hockey would never be exposed to it because of where they were born or grew up. What an elitist attitude. "You're from Texas/Florida/California, you don't deserve exposure to hockey."
  • Nev likes this
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#162 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:19 PM

Personally I'd rather have a league with fewer teams, no salary cap and no work stoppage every 5 years.

Well they've lost money because of the on ice product and owning a hockey club is a longtime investment. You don't see a guy like Pegula whining...

The NHL could just wipe out the floor or make it 26 % so the so called poor teams can wont be forced to overspend but the problem is Bettman and his stupid parity illusion.

You think an original 6 matchup would have had such terrible ratings? I highly doubt that.

Ok the southern teams are a neccessary evil then don't cry about losing money, because there are better options.

The NHL and Bettman created these problems so it is on to them to fix it with their own money. How about the midget paying 50 % of his salary to help out his mickeymouse clubs? The bastard would move them asap before accepting well not surprising if you think about his background.

Sent from my BlackBerry

Pegula may not be crying yet but I dont think it will be long. The Sabres lost money in 2010-11 and then he increased their payroll from 15th to 4th while keeping ticket prices relatively the same. Its also not like the extra payroll meant many more fans. They drew just under 4000 additional fans after the payroll increase. Most experts beleive the Sabres also lost money in 2011-12.

Edited by UP2HERE, 25 October 2012 - 01:20 PM.

#163 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

They want good ratings and hockeymarkets such as Hamilton, QC porovide exactly that.

no it doesn't. it might have high ratings for canda television but that's not where the big money tv deal is at.

FYI, the lowest rated cup finals since the lockout was when ottawa (a candian team was involved). having canadian teams on tv doesn't automatically get you high tv ratings here in the states (which is where the big money tv contract is)

#164 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

I sure am glad you're not the Commissioner. I can't imagine how many people who love hockey would never be exposed to it because of where they were born or grew up. What an elitist attitude. "You're from Texas/Florida/California, you don't deserve exposure to hockey."

Ever heard of the OHL, AHL...?

no it doesn't. it might have high ratings for canda television but that's not where the big money tv deal is at.

FYI, the lowest rated cup finals since the lockout was when ottawa (a candian team was involved). having canadian teams on tv doesn't automatically get you high tv ratings here in the states (which is where the big money tv contract is)

Well you have to look at both teams it was Anaheim against Ottawa so everyone knew the outcome when it came down to the ratings.

All I am saying is, if the league wants to keep these teams fine but don't cry if they are losing money without a fanbase and even that can be fixed by completely wiping the floor or lowering it.

Pegula may not be crying yet but I dont think it will be long. The Sabres lost money in 2010-11 and then he increased their payroll from 15th to 4th while keeping ticket prices relatively the same. Its also not like the extra payroll meant many more fans. They drew just under 4000 additional fans after the payroll increase. Most experts beleive the Sabres also lost money in 2011-12.

Pegula like Dolan and the very best owner in all of sports our own Mr. I are against this lockout. Some owners understand that they are going to lose money, they do it because they are fans and are in it for the longrun. At the end of the day if they are doing a good job their team will be worth way more than what they have paid for it.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#165 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

Pegula like Dolan and the very best owner in all of sports our own Mr. I are against this lockout. Some owners understand that they are going to lose money, they do it because they are fans and are in it for the longrun. At the end of the day if they are doing a good job their team will be worth way more than what they have paid for it.

I dont see how Pegula could be against the lock-out. His team is losing money despite top 10 attendance and one of the lowest fan cost indexes in the league. He cant raise ticket prices because the economy in Buffalo is crap. Maybe I'm missing something.

#166 Jeff6851

Jeff6851

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:51 PM

I'd be ok with losing the season. Prospects get another year of development and we get to pass up a season of probable awfulness.
Detroit fan living in St. Louis
"To whom much is given, much is expected."
"Play them six times, they might win four, but not this game. Not tonight."
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

#167 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,141 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:08 AM

I'd be ok with losing the season. Prospects get another year of development and we get to pass up a season of probable awfulness.

We also get to pass up a full season of trading away a first round draft pick! :clap:

#168 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:24 AM

I dont see how Pegula could be against the lock-out. His team is losing money despite top 10 attendance and one of the lowest fan cost indexes in the league. He cant raise ticket prices because the economy in Buffalo is crap. Maybe I'm missing something.

If I am remembering it correctly he talked about creating an Illitcg like atmosphere and would be prepared to lose money. I am sure at first Mr. I lost some money too but look at it now -)

Owners like Pegula, Dolan, Mr. I are role models and I bet you none of them is part of the BoG.

At this point I hardly think about things like if the next guy will be better or not, Bettman needs to go in the longrun it will be well worth it.

Sent from my BlackBerry

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#169 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

If I am remembering it correctly he talked about creating an Illitcg like atmosphere and would be prepared to lose money. I am sure at first Mr. I lost some money too but look at it now -)

Owners like Pegula, Dolan, Mr. I are role models and I bet you none of them is part of the BoG.

At this point I hardly think about things like if the next guy will be better or not, Bettman needs to go in the longrun it will be well worth it.

Sent from my BlackBerry

And the way these negotiations went Donald Fehr needs to go as well.
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#170 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,891 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:27 AM

Can we just sacrifice Bettman? You know, just for fun?

#171 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

http://www.sportsbus...es/Bettman.aspx

#172 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

http://www.sportsbus...es/Bettman.aspx

DON"T SPEND MNONEY ON THE NHL UNTIL THIS PIECE OF s*** IS FIRED. THIS LOCKOUT IS AS MUCH YOUR FAULT AS IT IS HIS. HE IS THE WORST THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO THE GAME OF HOCKEY.
HE IS THE EPITOME OF ALL THE BAD THINGS PEOPLE SAY ABOUT LAWYERS AND POLITICIANS. HE IS THE PERFECT EXAMPLE OF THE WORD MACHIAVELLIAN AND A TEXTBOOK CASE OF NAPOLEON COMPLEX
YOU DESERVE THIS AND IF YOU DON'T DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT YOU WILL DESERVE WHATEVER ELSE HE DOES.
ANYBODY BLAMING ANYBODY OTHER THAN BETTMAN AND THE FANS FOR THIS IS WRONG.

#173 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,904 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

I'm as frustrated about this lockout as anyone, but you might want to step back from the keyboard for a second and take some deep breaths.

Or at the very least take off the caps lock. ;)

#174 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

DON"T SPEND MNONEY ON THE NHL UNTIL THIS PIECE OF s*** IS FIRED. THIS LOCKOUT IS AS MUCH YOUR FAULT AS IT IS HIS. HE IS THE WORST THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO THE GAME OF HOCKEY.
HE IS THE EPITOME OF ALL THE BAD THINGS PEOPLE SAY ABOUT LAWYERS AND POLITICIANS. HE IS THE PERFECT EXAMPLE OF THE WORD MACHIAVELLIAN AND A TEXTBOOK CASE OF NAPOLEON COMPLEX
YOU DESERVE THIS AND IF YOU DON'T DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT YOU WILL DESERVE WHATEVER ELSE HE DOES.
ANYBODY BLAMING ANYBODY OTHER THAN BETTMAN AND THE FANS FOR THIS IS WRONG.

My eyes... they are bleeding.
Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#175 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

I'd go for it because Gary Bettman has stunded the growth of this game. The NHL had so much going for it in terms of the future and now that's killed.

With that being said this lockout affects hockey as a whole not just the NHL since with the growing popularity of the NHL that helped hockey in general because you had people get interested in it and would either watch it or go to games e.g. minor league games etc.

#176 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

I'd go for it because Gary Bettman has stunded the growth of this game. The NHL had so much going for it in terms of the future and now that's killed.

Granted, Bettman was Commissioner when the NHL "had so much going for it."

Don't Toews me, bro!

#177 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

I don't even know why anyone gives credit to Gary Bettman for the game growing.

It has always been big in Canada, and Gary takes away the Jets and Nordiques in the mid 90's when Canada's dollar was struggling. Colorado is a successful organization and a team belongs there, but Phoenix has not made a cent profit since they moved there.

The sunbelt expansion is, was, and will always be remembered as a failure. Most of those teams are the reason that there is a lockout because they make no money.

The Canadian dollar is on par with the US dollar now and the US economy is not at it's best unfortunately so maybe it's time for teams like the Coyotes and Panthers to move for the good of the league.

At the end of the day, the only reason that the salary cap has to go down with a 50/50 split is because of the bottom 5 or so teams in the NHL that are basically bankrupt. Move the Coyotes, Panthers and Devils to Seattle, Quebec and Markham and the cap doesn't move with a 50/50 split by the end of a season when the NHL goes from 3.3 billion profit to 4 billion.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#178 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

It's not elitist - it's realist. They can put an NHL team anywhere they want as long as they can support themselves, not go into bankruptcy, get bought by the NHL, and not get revenue sharing. I have no respect for any team that takes revenue sharing. If you want a team, pay for it yourself. I support the Wings, not the Coyotes, Panthers, Preds, etc.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#179 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,610 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

I do remember reading that Winnipeg would have to be taking revenue sharing in their first season.
No NHL in Puerto Rico? Interesting.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#180 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

Still elitist, but good try,
---
Lets use your logic and talk about the teams that have been losing money (looks to be about 18 of them according to Forbes.) Screw all the teams that aren't able to make money. "They can put an NHL team anywhere they want as long as they can support themselves" So, goodbye to:

Phoenix, Florida, Nashville, Columbus, Carolina, which would make you happy. However, you also lose St. Louis, Winnipeg, NYI, Buffalo, Tampa Bay, New Jersey, San Jose, Anaheim (don't you live in the CA area? Would suck to lose your opportunity to go see games, no?) Washington, and the Cup Champion LA Kings. Man, what a great league with lots of exposure that would be./s

Revenue sharing is something built in to the league. All of the major sports league incorporate it. Most of the teams I listed would take advantage of it if they were able. However, there are restrictions that prevent some teams from utilizing the program, which would help them at least break even. Not every team can be the Wings or the Leafs with so much tradition that you have a built in fanbase, no matter how the team performs. It takes time, and lean seasons sometimes, to build up the tradition.

But, what do I know? I'm just one of the fans that could have given a crap about hockey growing up, due to no teams even remotely close to me, but became a rabid fan once hockey became available to me.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg