• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
number9

Who was the better Wing/Player? Yzerman or Lidstrom

Rate this topic

Who is the better player/wing?  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think you are asking two unique question here, with different answers.

Who was the better Wing? Yzerman

Who was the better player? Lidstrom

I totally agree with this. On pure hockey ability and skill, Lidstrom comes out on top. But the best Wing? Yzerman showed up for this team in any manner that they needed him consistently and reliably for over twenty years. Lidstrom was a great leader, but Stevie was The Captain. Love them both, and am honored that I got to grow up watching them play for my team.

tumblr_lvufarimDm1qd5c4r.jpg

tumblr_lybxardkCw1qekjr2o1_500.jpg

Better Wing Y

Better Player Perfect human you aren't getting that title without bringing it every night over two decades.

That said I am so spoiled and honored because these two defined the rise of the Wings and are were the type of Cs every GM and coach is dreaming off.

Sent from my BlackBerry

To me Stevie was great. He was a great player, a great leader and even a better person. BUT, Nick Lidstrom is slightly a step up in that he was never phased, was always on his A game whether he was 25, 30 or 42... the guy simply always had it. I have went to several Red Wings games in my short 21 year life, and I can honestly say that anytime number 5 came on the ice I felt safe, I felt like there was nothing the team had to worry about because he simply did everything perfectly and so effortlessly. More then that, he was literally ALWAYS there.

As you guys have said, we are spoiled to even be able to have this debate in the first place, but for me Lidstrom was the guy who I always idolized growing up and I met him 4 times and he was just such a nice guy. I cried when Stevie Y retired and I cried harder when Nick retired... it is like losing a family member. Lets just be thankful we have so many great memories of both of these greats.

If we are just talking best Wing and not best player, I'd be curious to see if there is a generational difference with the older fans leaning toward Stevie and the younger fans leaning toward Lids. I was talking to my 11 year old cousin about Stevie and growing up watching him and my cousin just couldn't fathom that anyone could be a more important Wing than Lids.

Guest The Axe

Lids. Hands down. Seven Norris Trophies that should have been 10. Yzerman never won any best forward trophies other than a Selke.

Yzerman had supreme skill, but lidstrom almost seemed immune to mistakes. He did everything right on and off the ice. Yzerman was a better captain, but I think lidstrom filled the void beautifully.

Lidstrom wins it.

Side note: any other team would die to have these 2 guys to pick from

Guest irishock

Yzerman did have his twilight years. Lidstrom could've played to 45 and still be a top 5 defensemen. So I'd say Lidstrom due to consistency over a long period of time.

I think you are asking two unique question here, with different answers.

Who was the better Wing? Yzerman

Who was the better player? Lidstrom

This. Lidstrom is the second best defenceman of all time. Yzerman wasn't even the second best center of his era.

i have to go with stevie....he was clutch, a motivator by heart, a hero to a town,an inspiration to a generation.

he taught perseverance.

lidstrom showed us what a true leader should be, a consummate professional, and a legend to the game.

he taught excellence.

its a hard call.

when its family...you shouldn't have to choose.

Lids. Hands down. Seven Norris Trophies that should have been 10. Yzerman never won any best forward trophies other than a Selke.

This had nothing to do with the fact Yzerman shared his prime with the two greatest forwards ever in Gretzky and Lemieux? He would have had the most points in 88 and 89 if not for the two greatest players of all time.

Lemieux had 199 points, Gretzky had 168, and Yzerman ONLY had a punie 155 points that season. Yzerman scored over a 100 points a season six years in a row. Had he not shared his prime with those two he would have had a lot more hardware.

This. Lidstrom is the second best defenceman of all time. Yzerman wasn't even the second best center of his era.

No he was the 3rd behind Gretzky and Lemieux

Edited by cupcrazy

This had nothing to do with the fact Yzerman shared his prime with the two greatest forwards ever in Gretzky and Lemieux? He would have had the most points in 88 and 89 if not for the two greatest players of all time.

Lemieux had 199 points, Gretzky had 168, and Yzerman ONLY had a punie 155 points that season. Yzerman scored over a 100 points a season six years in a row. Had he not shared his prime with those two he would have had a lot more hardware.

Well being 3 behind these two is still an incredible large accomplishment if you ask me. In terms of overall awarness to he has been more complete than both all time greats.

And I'd rank the perfect human easily above Bourque

Sent from my BlackBerry

Edited by frankgrimes

Great topic. I agree with analogy that Yzerman was the better wing and Lids the best player BUT you have to consider what they meant to the team as well. When Stevie was drafted ( and initially lived partially in Lafontaines "pretend" shadow) we were the era of the Dead things. Basement dwellers until Yzerman got some help with Demers at the helm and guys like Oates and Gallant. Stevie Y put fans in the seats, and quickly became one of the most respected character guys in the NHL.

In contrast, Lids came into a up and coming organization who had already aquired Coffee and Federov and were building the russian 5, and a dynasty. There was no pressure on him to the the face of the franchise. No pressure for him to be great (even though he was!) so these things made a difference.

Yzerman changed detroits destiny and Lidstrom took over that well oiled ship once he left.

No he was the 3rd behind Gretzky and Lemieux

He was at best 3rd behind those. Most non-biased non-Wing fans have Sakic + Yzerman ranked equally, then you have to throw guys like Messier into the mix, and like I say, thats not including those who played pre-1980 and post 2000. None of that is to diss Yzerman, who as I also already said, is IMO the greatest wing.

If I really wanted to put the cat amongst the pidgeons, I would ask where Gordie Howe fits into all this :P

The Captain: The Perfect Human: Mr Hockey

Edited by Nev

Yzerman, with no doubt.

Lets say that you had to have one of these two players to bring your team out of an era of failure, which would do the better job?

Without Yzerman the Wings could very well have maintained the gold standard of fail around the league.

I love me some lids, but he could NOT have been the spark this team needed to reach success.

I draft a rookie Yzerman over a rookie Lids each and every time.

Dont forget that Yzerman was a mad mad point producer, scoring 1040 points before Bowman took over and made him a two way player. Had Yzerman remained the pure scorer he was he would have challenged many records.

10 years before 2 way play by Bowman 1040 points, After Bowman, 12 years 715 points.

Now I'm not arguing that this helped us win our first cup in forever, just that Yzerman unselfishly changed his entire game for this team, and he could have gone on to break records had he decided to not put this team first.

Yzerman is the better Wing and the better player.