Photo
- - - - -

Best pure goal scorer for the Wings

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Best pure goal scorer for the Wings

Who would score?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

Z did not play yet. He will Friday. So from where these stats are coming?

Some tourney game or something. It's in another topic....Zetterberg scores 3 points in debut with EV Zug.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#22 Azelov

Azelov

Jr. Prospect

• 28 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

European's cup vs Anaheim, Germany. Something like the champions league in soccer world

#23 fixxxer

fixxxer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

IMO none of the above are classified in my definition of a "pure goal scorer" Hossa is the closest thing we've ever had. Lately I think the wings have been too focused on getting an entire team of two way players. We don't have much variety.

#24 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

This guy

#25 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

It would have been interesting to see the responses had Brunner been included in the list. Personally, I'm not holding my breath on a smooth transition for him into NA style hockey, but you cannot deny that he is a pure goal-scorer based on how he is lighting it up overseas. I hear his shot is reminiscent of Brett Hull, but I haven't seen him play yet...

Brett Hull is sort of a bad comparison because Brunner doesn't really use a slap shot. His wrist shot is sick though, more comparable to Semin's shot than Hull's.

Edited by kipwinger, 20 October 2012 - 12:38 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#26 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

This guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvJX60UOnYE&feature=youtu.be

That was a sick goal...
Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#27 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:21 AM

That was a sick goal...

The way he defends the puck as hes attacking is something I have never seen.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#28 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,228 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:37 AM

The way he defends the puck as hes attacking is something I have never seen.

I love how he blocks out other players' sticks with his own while deking. I've adapted that technique in my beer league but I don't make it look near as sexy.

#29 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:50 AM

Brett Hull is sort of a bad comparison because Brunner doesn't really use a slap shot. His wrist shot is sick though, more comparable to Semin's shot than Hull's.

What set Hull apart though wasn't just his shot, it was his ability find space in the slot. Just by moving 6 inches he could find the space to get a one-timer away, sometimes he would do it just by standing still. It was really noticable when he was playing with Datsyuk. Pav would be in the corner doing his thing and Brett would just wait and wait and wait and wait....knowing the puck would eventually come to him.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#30 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:28 AM

Pulkkinen, Frk, Jurco and Athanasiou just for future reference.
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#31 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=643488
Yzerman never thought of himself as a pure goal scorer.
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#32 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:13 PM

None of the guys listed are "pure" goal scorers. That label is reserved for elite snipers like Stamkos and Hossa. Hudler was probably the closest thing we had to a goal-scorer last year, and that was mostly because he didn't do anything else very well.

#33 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

Yeah, I voted for Datsyuk, but I absolutely hate the question in the poll. I don't know what a "pure" goal scorer means. I think that people hear that and think of a super-talented player who is singularly focused on putting points on the board. Marian Gaborik is a "pure goal scorer". So is Ovechkin. Pavel Bure and Ziggy Palffy from back in the day.

The Red Wings don't really employ guys like that, or at least they haven't recently. If you took Datsyuk's innate ability and gave him the "personality" of Ovechkin, I feel like he scores 45 goals a year, but I can't "know" that. And he'd probably be a less valuable player to his team, whether people want to believe that or not.

None of the guys listed are "pure" goal scorers. That label is reserved for elite snipers like Stamkos and Hossa. Hudler was probably the closest thing we had to a goal-scorer last year, and that was mostly because he didn't do anything else very well.

Again, though, I was really surprised by how much of a two-way game Hossa actually had when he played for us. Yeah, he was a terrific goal scorer that carried the Wings at times during the 08-09 regular season, but he's also a very large, strong individual who would back check and put a body on you in the corner.

Nothing irks me more about (some) Wings fans that the revisionist history applied to Hossa's one year with this team. But that's a topic for a different thread.

#34 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

Nothing irks me more about (some) Wings fans that the revisionist history applied to Hossa's one year with this team. But that's a topic for a different thread.

Well said.

The late Shanahan was probly the last "pure" goalscorer we had. He could barely skate by that point, but he could still finish, and he potted 40 goals putting away Pav's feeds.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#35 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

Yeah, I voted for Datsyuk, but I absolutely hate the question in the poll. I don't know what a "pure" goal scorer means. I think that people hear that and think of a super-talented player who is singularly focused on putting points on the board. Marian Gaborik is a "pure goal scorer". So is Ovechkin. Pavel Bure and Ziggy Palffy from back in the day.

The Red Wings don't really employ guys like that, or at least they haven't recently. If you took Datsyuk's innate ability and gave him the "personality" of Ovechkin, I feel like he scores 45 goals a year, but I can't "know" that. And he'd probably be a less valuable player to his team, whether people want to believe that or not.

Again, though, I was really surprised by how much of a two-way game Hossa actually had when he played for us. Yeah, he was a terrific goal scorer that carried the Wings at times during the 08-09 regular season, but he's also a very large, strong individual who would back check and put a body on you in the corner.

True. I think Hossa's biggest attribute is his goal-scoring, but he does have more than just that to his game.

#36 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

Mike Bossy was a pure goal scorer. Ray Sheppard a VERY poor man's Mike Bossy.

#37 PROBIE4PREZ

PROBIE4PREZ

In Holland I trust.

• PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

Shanahan, Hull, Fedorov come to mind.
"I mean, the best thing for my knee, for anyone's knee, is to never play again and retire. But I'm not going to do that." o-captain my captain