Photo
- - - - -

The offer on the table....whats the prediction?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: The offer on the table

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

PLAYERS WILL TAKE WHATS ON THE BOARD

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

what do you guys think? Did the NHL offer enough to get this season back on track by Nov 2nd?
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#2 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

they will counter some points of the latest proposal. i would elaborate more later when im more free. i think2 weeks of hardcore negotiations and counters.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#3 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

there are a few sticky points...I think they will vote to reverse a few changes....Fingers and toes crossed for a short and peaceful resolution
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#4 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

I think the wording of the last choice is off. In no scenario are the players ever going to get a bigger payday. Everything about this new CBA will be worse than what they had.

They'd be holding out to lose less, not to get more.

#5 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

I think the wording of the last choice is off. In no scenario are the players ever going to get a bigger payday. Everything about this new CBA will be worse than what they had.

They'd be holding out to lose less, not to get more.

This is true.

I voted for the 3rd option though, maybe because of a bit of hopefullness though. I really hope and somewhat think what will happen is that the NHLPA will be very aggressive with this offer and do their best to negotiate a better deal of the next week, but then whatever is on the table at that time, I bet the players will be given an opportunity to vote.....largely because of the PR move made by the league.

Then NHLPA may get to a spot where they don't feel the offer is good enough, but if the majority of the players are willing to accept it, then that's what they'll do I guess.

#6 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

they will counter some points of the latest proposal. i would elaborate more later when im more free. i think2 weeks of hardcore negotiations and counters.

There will definitely be some counter points. The 50/50 split sounds nice if the cap wasn't already set at 70.2 mil and how do you be cap compliant without the rollback?

Lets break this down.

Revenues = $3.303 billion
divide by 30 is $110.1 million per team
divide 50/50 split gets % 55.05 million is what the cap would be set at.

that's a 15 million dollar drop in cap.

55 million divided by 70 million = .7857

So in the end, the revenue gets dropped by 7% overall, but the players salaries would be reduced with the cap by approx 21%, but without the rollback, just some make whole jargen. Slightly less than the 24% last time.

The now expired CBA was drafted and force fed by the owners and the players reluctantly accepted it after losing a season. All the crap they're saying about "escrow" and "make whole" will get us back to where we're at now in 6 years cause the 7th won't be agreed upon cause the owners will want more money back again. If there's a 50/50 split, the the only way the game will continue to grow and have the cap go up is if there's relocation of numerous teams.

With the amount of fans that said they're not gonna return to the NHL, all the growth of the past 6 years crash landed and the revenues and merch sales this year will take a massive hit and there may be more teams to add to the list for relocation along with Phoenix, NYI and New Jersey, who already have a terrible fan base.

The players just want the contracts they signed honoured and the owners have a problem with it. The owners and their GM's are the ones that keep offering players 8-20 year contracts and then come back and say they want the max to be 5 years. The hypocrisy is amazing with this lockout.

end rant

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#7 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

The players just want the contracts they signed honoured and the owners have a problem with it.

end rant

Aren't current contracts going to be honoured? As in, the players will all get their contractually agreed upon moneyz eventually? If that's true, what part of the latest NHL proposal is not honouring contracts?

Edited by RedWingsDad, 17 October 2012 - 01:25 PM.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#8 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

Aren't current contracts going to be honoured? As in, the players will all get their contractually agreed upon moneyz eventually? If that's true, what part of the latest NHL proposal is not honouring contracts?

I don't think they are. That's the confusing part in all of this.

They're not calling it a rollback but I still don't quite understand how the player will be paid out their full contract because it sounds like they're going to take a definite hit in the first few years.

#9 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

Well I was one of the few here to predict this lockout...Now I'm predicting a deal with get done within several days with a few changes in the BOG's current offer.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#10 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

I don't think they are. That's the confusing part in all of this.

They're not calling it a rollback but I still don't quite understand how the player will be paid out their full contract because it sounds like they're going to take a definite hit in the first few years.

RedWingsDad...this. Everyone is confused as to how teams are going to be cap compliant and how the players are going to keep the money they already got signed on for. the whole thing is eff'd...

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#11 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

Too many "grey areas" in the offer. Did I hear this correctly (maybe I didn't): that in order to play an 82-game schedule and finishing the season per usual, calendar weeks with five games will have to be played? That works out to two weeks per schedule month.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#12 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

There will definitely be some counter points. The 50/50 split sounds nice if the cap wasn't already set at 70.2 mil and how do you be cap compliant without the rollback?

Lets break this down.

Revenues = $3.303 billion
divide by 30 is $110.1 million per team
divide 50/50 split gets % 55.05 million is what the cap would be set at.

that's a 15 million dollar drop in cap.

55 million divided by 70 million = .7857

So in the end, the revenue gets dropped by 7% overall, but the players salaries would be reduced with the cap by approx 21%, but without the rollback, just some make whole jargen. Slightly less than the 24% last time.

The now expired CBA was drafted and force fed by the owners and the players reluctantly accepted it after losing a season. All the crap they're saying about "escrow" and "make whole" will get us back to where we're at now in 6 years cause the 7th won't be agreed upon cause the owners will want more money back again. If there's a 50/50 split, the the only way the game will continue to grow and have the cap go up is if there's relocation of numerous teams.

With the amount of fans that said they're not gonna return to the NHL, all the growth of the past 6 years crash landed and the revenues and merch sales this year will take a massive hit and there may be more teams to add to the list for relocation along with Phoenix, NYI and New Jersey, who already have a terrible fan base.

The players just want the contracts they signed honoured and the owners have a problem with it. The owners and their GM's are the ones that keep offering players 8-20 year contracts and then come back and say they want the max to be 5 years. The hypocrisy is amazing with this lockout.

end rant

FYI, that's not how the cap is calculated.

It's: (HRR * Share% - Benefits) / 30 + 8 (or -8 for the floor). We don't know exactly what benefits cost, but it doesn't make that big a difference. Using $3.3B the previously estimated ~$3.45B the $70.2M cap was based on for revenue would put the cap around $62M, but I've heard the league says $59.9M. Probably estimating a lower revenue (not surprising given they claim to have lost $100M from the pre-season). ~edit: Based on revenues staying flat, $3.3B

However, I read that each team can still spend up to the previous $70M cap in the first year. I haven't seen any details on how they plan to handle the overage. They've said all existing contracts will be honored in full, but I'd guess they'll deduct the overage from future years. It's probably not really 50/50 across the board, more like a 54/50/49/49/49/49 kind of thing. Similar to the previous structures offered from both sides, just worded a bit differently. I could be wrong, we'll just have to wait and see if the details come out. ~edit: Yes, overage will be deducted from the share in later seasons.

Too many "grey areas" in the offer. Did I hear this correctly (maybe I didn't): that in order to play an 82-game schedule and finishing the season per usual, calendar weeks with five games will have to be played? That works out to two weeks per schedule month.

Starting Nov. 2nd would mean a 23 week season, if they still end it in mid-April. Roughly 3.5 games / week. It's possible 5 games in 7 days could happen, but likely very rare. (Normal schedule was 26 weeks. A little over 3 games / week.)

Edited by Buppy, 17 October 2012 - 05:02 PM.

#13 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

Existing contracts are only honoured in full if there is sufficient future growth such that 50% of revenues covers those existing contracts.

Edited by toby91_ca, 17 October 2012 - 02:13 PM.

#14 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

Existing contracts are only honoured in full if there is sufficient future growth such that 50% of revenues covers those existing contracts.

If that's true, the question becomes... is it reasonable to expect that contracts will be honoured based on previous growth patterns?
Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#15 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

FYI, that's not how the cap is calculated.

It's: (HRR * Share% - Benefits) / 30 + 8 (or -8 for the floor). We don't know exactly what benefits cost, but it doesn't make that big a difference. Using $3.3B for revenue would put the cap around $62M, but I've heard the league says $59.9M. Probably estimating a lower revenue (not surprising given they claim to have lost $100M from the pre-season).

However, I read that each team can still spend up to the previous $70M cap in the first year. I haven't seen any details on how they plan to handle the overage. They've said all existing contracts will be honored in full, but I'd guess they'll deduct the overage from future years. It's probably not really 50/50 across the board, more like a 54/50/49/49/49/49 kind of thing. Similar to the previous structures offered from both sides, just worded a bit differently. I could be wrong, we'll just have to wait and see if the details come out.

Starting Nov. 2nd would mean a 23 week season, if they still end it in mid-April. Roughly 3.5 games / week. It's possible 5 games in 7 days could happen, but likely very rare. (Normal schedule was 26 weeks. A little over 3 games / week.)

That salary cap stuff the way the proposal drew it up is confusing as all hell. I'll just wait on the sidelines with that one until they give us a number and start playing. No more trying to figure it out. :lol:

As for the possible 5 game weeks....playoffs should be fast paced and exciting when everyone's got their own oxygen tank on the bench :ok:

Either way, change a few things in the NHL's proposal and drop the puck!

If that's true, the question becomes... is it reasonable to expect that contracts will be honoured based on previous growth patterns?

Good question, cause the NHL's growth hit the wall as soon as Buttman started spouting about another lockout and then did just that. The non die hard fans are abandoning ship and it'll take more than adding shootouts to the NHL to lure them back again.

#16 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

That's not really the point. The point is that is that the players will be paying themselves to cover intitial shortfalls. If 50% fo revenues are not enough this year to cover salaries, the players will just take less money later to cover the difference....so they might get 45% of revnues in a later year for example. The league suggesting no rollbacks is completely bogus.

#17 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

What sucks is being a fan of a league that can boast the most intelligent players in pro sports. This can make for longer lockout periods. And also having Buttman as the mouthpiece of the owners. How do I get my keyboard to stop underlining everything?

#18 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

It's making me very scared that the majority of the players are saying it's not a good deal. Now I'm not so sure about a deal getting done.

#19 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:08 PM

It's making me very scared that the majority of the players are saying it's not a good deal. Now I'm not so sure about a deal getting done.

I'm somewhat worried about that, but at the same time, understand that the players cannot come out and say they like the deal, it would kill any ability to negotiate off of it. I'm hoping the players don't love the current deal, but are hoping some negotiations will take place this week and they will accept wherever they get next week. Wishful thinking, but that's what I'm going with for now.

#20 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

Well I think they're still looking at it from the position of why they should have to take a major paycut when revenue has increased so much and the league hasn't presented great evidence that it's necessary. The arguments are basically that 50/50 seems fair and it's what other league's are doing.

Eventually though I'm guessing they'll realize they're going to lose no matter what. This is their best chance to limit how much.