• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
StormJH1

The Next Wings Captain is...?

Rate this topic

Did I miss something here?

http://octopusthrower.com/2012/10/20/kronwall-strong-candidate-for-vacant-wings-captaincy/

I don't live in the Detroit area and haven't given too much though to actual HOCKEY with all of the lockout crap going on, but wasn't it basically a foregone conclusion that Zetterberg was the next captain? (Then again, people once said that Marty Lapointe was going to be the next captain of the Red Wings too).

Is this just one idiot blogger speculating wildly, or is there any truth to this?

I'm not sure I even like the tone of that guy's article, let alone the aimless speculation. His whole point was that naming Kronwall would send a "message" to the organization of fans - basically by picking a "tough guy" as a captain, we'd be adopting a "tougher" mentality. Is he saying the Wings stagnated because we had a captain like Lidstrom (who, by the way, won us a Cup and barely missed time despite almost losing a certain body part in '09...yeah, real pansy).

I have always heard/thought/expected it would be Z. Datsyuk's the better player, but that's not what a captain is. That'd be like saying Fedorov should have been captain because he skates faster than Steve Yzerman.

Edited by StormJH1

I'm not sure I even like the tone of that guy's article, let alone the aimless speculation. His whole point was that naming Kronwall would send a "message" to the organization of fans - basically by picking a "tough guy" as a captain, we'd be adopting a "tougher" mentality. Is he saying the Wings stagnated because we had a captain like Lidstrom (who, by the way, won us a Cup and barely missed time despite almost losing a certain body part in '09...yeah, real pansy).

I have always heard/thought/expected it would be Z. Datsyuk's the better player, but that's not what a captain is. That'd be like saying Fedorov should have been captain because he skates faster than Steve Yzerman.

Exactly this.

And the Wings have 4 Stanley Cups since 1997....so who really give a flying f**k what the past 2 champs had. Wings won it in 2008 with Lidstrom the chessmaster as captain, not a hard hitter like Dustin Brown or Zdeno Chara. Wings win the cup by skill and outplaying/outsmarting their opponent.

Also, with Nyquist and Brunner being added to the lineup, the Wings identity pretty much stays the same. Smith will no doubt destroy a few guys, but the status quo is there with the Wings, and it will stay. At least until they miss the playoffs, which I don't see happening any time soon.

In conclusion, Z for Captain.

Lidstrom said in his press conference that it would either be; kronwall, zetterberg, or filppula. There could be truth to it, but all signs point to Zetterberg. He's normally in the camera, has poise and a calming sensation.

is there any credibility to this guy? he seems like an absolute duster. http://octopusthrower.com/2012/10/13/yes-wings-should-consider-trading-datsyuk-but-try-franzen-first/?utm_source=fansided_uppprev

Edited by evilzyme

Guest irishock

It's coming down to Zetterberg and Datsyuk, but Datsyuk's contract expires in '14 and that might be a problem for any case in his favor.

Pure speculation, of course. Z is the heir apparent, and he has all of the ability to do it.

However, Nik is not the worst choice for a captain. If you look at the players as individuals rather than looking at it as a competition, Nik is a good choice for the reasons mentioned. He is a competitor, he's skilled both offensively and defensively, has a good presence in front of the camera, and (I've heard mentioned in interviews with other players) he has a strong presence in the locker room.

And there's the "Kronwalled" thing. That's a good thing too.

If you read the article as a threat to Z, then yeah, I guess you can get upset about it, but if you just read it as an article on Kronwall and his abilities, then I have to agree with it.

On a team without Z, he'd at least be in consideration for the position. The fact that Z is a foregone conclusion doesn't negate the fact that Nik would be a good man for the job. It just means that in this case he's not the best one.

Edited by 55fan

is there any credibility to this guy? he seems like an absolute duster. http://octopusthrowe...ansided_uppprev

Credibility is not the issue as this isn't a rumour or anything, it's simply someone's opinion or thoughts about what the Wings' should consider. I don't know the guy, but he seems like a simple fan blogger.....which doesn't mean much really. I wouldn't discount his opinions because he's not a highly respected guys in the business like Bob McKenzie for example.

I understand his thought process....the Wings' may look a little weak...maybe good enough to compete, but not close to being cup favourites. So, does the team try to get value in return from Datsyuk before his potential value diminishes (he's 34). The biggest problem with that is that it is simply not the Wings' style, they don't flip guys near the end of their careers to bring in new blood. I think this is very important and one of the main reasons why the Wings' have a good track record of attracting and retaining players (they are loyal, players will be loyal to them).

Other than that, the next biggest problem with the idea is that you might agree the team isn't good enough now and Datsyuk isn't going to get better over the next few years, but will trading him bring in players that will make them good enough now (i.e. right away)? Likely not. The only way this works is if you are bringing in young players that will stick with the team for a long time and immediate dividends will not likely be seen. Even if you find that.....go back to the biggest reason why this wouldn't fly.

Pure speculation, of course. Z is the heir apparent, and he has all of the ability to do it.

However, Nik is not the worst choice for a captain. If you look at the players as individuals rather than looking at it as a competition, Nik is a good choice for the reasons mentioned. He is a competitor, he's skilled both offensively and defensively, has a good presence in front of the camera, and (I've heard mentioned in interviews with other players) he has a strong presence in the locker room.

And there's the "Kronwalled" thing. That's a good thing too.

If you read the article as a threat to Z, then yeah, I guess you can get upset about it, but if you just read it as an article on Kronwall and his abilities, then I have to agree with it.

On a team without Z, he'd at least be in consideration for the position. The fact that Z is a foregone conclusion doesn't negate the fact that Nik would be a good man for the job. It just means that in this case he's not the best one.

I don't think anyone is taking away from what Nik brings, we're all just pretty certain Z has the gig already.

Dats would be the ideal choice but he doesn't want it as far as I know. Which means he's guaranteed not to be offered. That's the first thing.

Secondly Z has always been groomed as this organisation's next captain, yet for some reason I feel that with Lids going on for a few seasons longer than people may have expected, and now this lockout threatening to lose another year perhaps Z isn't the top choice. With a few contracts running out in the next few years players like Z and Dats will re-sign in order to stay here till the end (even though Dats will go back to Russia eventually but not in 2014). Players like Val who seems to be more integral with each year may need a nice little reward for sticking with this team for so long. As a younger player who is sensible, extremely hard-working, and who always seems to lead by example (a la Lids, Stevie, etc) I wouldn't be surprised or upset if they offered it to him. If he could become a real franchise player and give his all to this team, dedicate the rest of his career to the Wings and lead them in that quiet, understated way we've come to be famous for, then he could do a really good job. I also say as a lot of people, fans and players/coaches, have thrown his name into the mix and they've been giving him a lot more face time in interviews and pressers. Could make sense to give it to him now with Z's blessing and have them work together, rather than give Z 2 years or so then have to change it again.

That being said It'd be a real shame if Z didn't get it and didn't have that distinction to his great Red Wings career. But I guess if I was looking to appointing a long-term captain I'd give it to Flip and help him spend his career here. After what happened with Hudler, putting up some solid numbers and still being allowed to go, we shouldn't take guys like Flip for granted.

Much like the article though, it's just an opinion and probably one that no one will agree with.