• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ally

What would your proposal be?

Rate this topic

Most people on the forum have very different opinions on how much should be given to either side and if a group of people with nothing to lose can't agree then you gotta appreciate how much harder it is for a larger group with billions on the line.

I know we don't know every financial detail of the league but just for fun if you were Bettman or Fehr what would your general proposal be?

Guest The Axe

My proposal would be a 10 year deal with revenues starting at 55 % players / 45 % owners with a salary cap of 65 million and salary floor of 50 million. Team option to go 10 million above the cap with a 2 dollar for the league for every one dollar spent over the cap luxury tax. Every year, revenues drop for the players 1% and increase for the owners 1% until revenues are split 45 % players / 55% owners in the last year of the CBA.

I read what the Owners offered and I honestly think it was a fair deal.

Whereas I would like to know why the players have been so concerned with the term "Hockey Related Revenue." If we assume that HRR is any merchandise sold that involves using the NHL name or any of its teams, then I would consider it a pretty fair deal.

My thought is that all contracts be honoured in the first year; lowering their contracts by up to 4-5% of their current contracts in the second year (if necessary to reach an even 50-50 split) and so on until the 50-50 split can be achieved fairly. My hope is that however the deal is structured, contracts will be honoured regardless of what constitutes 50-50. It's also quite possible for the owners to earn more than a 50-50 split with this structure as well, so I think both sides would be interested to discuss it.

55%. Increase revenue sharing a bit. Make the upper and lower limit %-based rather than the fixed +/- $8M. Allow trading cash for cap space. A revenue growth plan that explores the options of moving failing franchises. Leave contract rules as is. (Cap circumvention shouldn't be as much of a problem with a higher cap and tools to go over.)

Under current growth trends, that split should see owners realize about 6% profit, profits growing so long as revenue growth continues to outpace growth of secondary expenses. The other points make it easier for struggling teams to control spending and stay profitable, as well as cutting loose a couple anchors.

Guest Johnz96

50/50, effective immediately.. Pay the players what is owed to them. Contracts already signed to be honored in full. Salary cap figure adjusted to 50/50 but actual paycheques to be payed at the rate (57/43 before lockout and 50/50 after) when the contracts were signed. Shorten length of contracts to circumvent gms trying to circumnent the cap)

Simple. Play hockey. It's unfortunate the league won't feel the benefits of this right away (especially if all the fans don't come back this time and I urge all of you not to or at least spend less than you would have otherwise) but they put themselves in this pridickament and should be glad the players are willing to help.

Edited by Johnz96

I propose a 50/50 split... 50% of the year the league plays hockey, and the other 50% of the year the league doesn't not play hockey. Simple. Revenue will be split 50/50 as well, half going to players and owners and the other half going to a fan fund. The fan fund will only be redeemable in beer.

Dare you to match that Bettman/Fehr

Always knew my BA in business would pay off

Here's my proposal: YOURE BOTH F$%CKING FILTHY RICH SO FIGURE OUT HOW TO DIVIDE YOUR BILLION DOLLAR PIE BEFORE THE PEOPLE MAKING MERE FRACTIONS OF WHAT YOU MAKE AND WHO GIVE YOU ALL YOUR MONEY DECIDE THEY'RE BETTER OFF WITHOUT YOUR SPOILED A$$ES!!!

I'll jump on the 50/50 bandwagon, but here's the catch:

1. 50/50 effective immediately.

2. Cap is set accordingly with a rollback to get teams compliant with the cap and what 50% actually is.

3. "Make whole" is given a new meaning where contracts that are signed are honoured and essentially becomes a buyout of the amount that gets shaved off the players contract with the "rollback".

Example: If the cap goes down 12% and you have Datsyuk making $6.7 mil for the next 2 seasons for a total of 13.4 mil, his buyout of 12% to get to the 50/50 while honouring signed contracts is $1.608 mil, thus Datsyuk is "made whole"

The players are made whole on the contracts they signed for an exact dollar amount and "made whole". The "8 poor owners" get their 50/50 on the cap, but they learn a valuable lesson with throwing money around that they keep whining that they don't have.

I'll jump on the 50/50 bandwagon, but here's the catch:

1. 50/50 effective immediately.

2. Cap is set accordingly with a rollback to get teams compliant with the cap and what 50% actually is.

3. "Make whole" is given a new meaning where contracts that are signed are honoured and essentially becomes a buyout of the amount that gets shaved off the players contract with the "rollback".

Example: If the cap goes down 12% and you have Datsyuk making $6.7 mil for the next 2 seasons for a total of 13.4 mil, his buyout of 12% to get to the 50/50 while honouring signed contracts is $1.608 mil, thus Datsyuk is "made whole"

The players are made whole on the contracts they signed for an exact dollar amount and "made whole". The "8 poor owners" get their 50/50 on the cap, but they learn a valuable lesson with throwing money around that they keep whining that they don't have.

I like the "out of the box" thinking but the owners wouldnt go for it. They would still be paying the full contract and would end up paying even more up front. Think about the deals that Minnesota just signed and imagine the amount of the buyout. If I'm understanding you correctly.

Edited by UP2HERE

Max player contract of 1 million dollars per year.

Immediate reduction of ticket prices to $35-$50 maximum.

Corporate sponsorship is limited.

Ticket prices are frozen for the duration of the CBA.

No max contract length restrictions.

That way, noone can complain that the owners are making too much, and the contracts can't get out of hand. The players get to get rich, but not obscenely so. Win/win.

That way, noone can complain that the owners are making too much, and the contracts can't get out of hand. The players get to get rich, but not obscenely so. Win/win.

I think that would basically create another AHL.

Guest Johnz96

I think that would basically create another AHL.

And a mass exodus to Europe and the KHL would become the greatest hockey league in the world. They deserve it a lot more than the NHL. They don't have a commissioner who locks out the players (and fans) every time the CBA expires to get what he wants for the new one.

So..it *is* about the money. I thought it was the love of the game, and these poor players are just being kept from doing what they love by the evil owners.

So what you're saying is these guys *are* greedy. Glad you are finally admitting it.

And a mass exodus to Europe and the KHL would become the greatest hockey league in the world. They deserve it a lot more than the NHL. They don't have a commissioner who locks out the players (and fans) every time the CBA expires to get what he wants for the new one.

And hopefully they would drop the nhlpa so they wouldn't have a union leader that thought they were worth more then they really are.

Guest Johnz96

So..it *is* about the money. I thought it was the love of the game, and these poor players are just being kept from doing what they love by the evil owners.

So what you're saying is these guys *are* greedy. Glad you are finally admitting it.

Are you saying I said that?

my reply....

blow up the league. every owner can hold 4 players ( if mutually desired) (datsyuk-zetterburg-kronwall-howard)

every player thereafter goes free agent with list of 6 cities( or more) desired to live.

owners can draft on city desired players or, convince players to write in city.

draft begins---randomly drawn. every round.

if no one lists city, team folds. i.e. islanders,panthers,blue jackets etc...(this shows owner they are not wanted)

62 mil. cap 48mil. floor. 50/50 HRR 5 yr. max contacts. retirement ends contract/can not play nhl for duration of contract upon retirement 2 yr. entry level 2.5 mil cap. UFA status at 30.

minor league players stay in system/farm of nhl team.

season starts dec. 1st. 65 game season

all new contracts, all new teams.

injured players stay on paying contract for original team (not roster), once lifted off IR,immediately go to UFA.

further draft plan is 1st. pick goes to first team NOT to make playoffs. 17th place. then down to 30, then16 to 1st.

creates desired to play till end of season. no tanking.

all star game consists of 3 teams over 5 days. teams split 50/50 pros/minors. captains draft. NHL pays out bonus to each team. teams call out charities.

during 5 days, players interact with community doing events all over town. ( childrens field hockey games, learn to skate program, community clean up, soup kitchen, painting homes, feeding animals at shelters, visiting elderly homes, childrens hospitals etc....(no autographs!) tv crews follow them and get air time.

point system is... 3 regulation win, 2 overtime win 1 overtime loss.

winter classic game stays...voted by fans. teams and location.

done...

perks to new system....

players control "somewhat" their destiny,coaches,life.

owners get a reset button.

fans get excitement of new system in place,watch top quality hockey.

merchandise goes crazy with new names and buzz about perfected system.

players could work together to play with long time friends, drawback would be to drop payscale to afford dream team ideas.

happy players means happy fans.

end of season will mean something to everyone.

all star game will add competitiveness.

all star hosting city gets attention to less fortunate, draws attention and some needed help.

draft assists only those who "want" it.

did i miss anything?

if we are gonna dream...lets go all in.

Guest Johnz96

my reply....

blow up the league. every owner can hold 4 players ( if mutually desired) (datsyuk-zetterburg-kronwall-howard)

every player thereafter goes free agent with list of 6 cities( or more) desired to live.

owners can draft on city desired players or, convince players to write in city.

draft begins---randomly drawn. every round.

if no one lists city, team folds. i.e. islanders,panthers,blue jackets etc...(this shows owner they are not wanted)

62 mil. cap 48mil. floor. 50/50 HRR 5 yr. max contacts. retirement ends contract/can not play nhl for duration of contract upon retirement 2 yr. entry level 2.5 mil cap. UFA status at 30.

minor league players stay in system/farm of nhl team.

season starts dec. 1st. 65 game season

all new contracts, all new teams.

injured players stay on paying contract for original team (not roster), once lifted off IR,immediately go to UFA.

further draft plan is 1st. pick goes to first team NOT to make playoffs. 17th place. then down to 30, then16 to 1st.

creates desired to play till end of season. no tanking.

all star game consists of 3 teams over 5 days. teams split 50/50 pros/minors. captains draft. NHL pays out bonus to each team. teams call out charities.

during 5 days, players interact with community doing events all over town. ( childrens field hockey games, learn to skate program, community clean up, soup kitchen, painting homes, feeding animals at shelters, visiting elderly homes, childrens hospitals etc....(no autographs!) tv crews follow them and get air time.

point system is... 3 regulation win, 2 overtime win 1 overtime loss.

winter classic game stays...voted by fans. teams and location.

done...

perks to new system....

players control "somewhat" their destiny,coaches,life.

owners get a reset button.

fans get excitement of new system in place,watch top quality hockey.

merchandise goes crazy with new names and buzz about perfected system.

players could work together to play with long time friends, drawback would be to drop payscale to afford dream team ideas.

happy players means happy fans.

end of season will mean something to everyone.

all star game will add competitiveness.

all star hosting city gets attention to less fortunate, draws attention and some needed help.

draft assists only those who "want" it.

did i miss anything?

if we are gonna dream...lets go all in.

If we're gonna dream and go all in. I will add to reduce (or make the nets bigger to compensate for the over-sized goalie equipment) the goalie equipment to the size it was before Bettman became commissioner and encouraged goalie equipment to grow to restrict talent and skill for the sake of parody to give weaker teams a better chance of winning games

If we're gonna dream and go all in. I will add to reduce (or make the nets bigger to compensate for the over-sized goalie equipment) the goalie equipment to the size it was before Bettman became commissioner and encouraged goalie equipment to grow to restrict talent and skill for the sake of parody to give weaker teams a better chance of winning games

Are you seriously blaming Bettman for the size of goalie equipment? Wow. I guess global warming and 9-11 were his fault too.

Ive said it on here many times. I dont like the guy but the lockout isnt all his fault and neither is the size of the goalie equipment.

Edited by UP2HERE

All I care about is seeing current contracts honored fully. If that ends up being too much to ask and owners insist on a contract value reduction, then current contracted players should be able to opt out of their contracts if they so desire, which would make the contract void and those players become UFAs.

I wonder what sort of implications this would have. On one side, the owners are free from the massive contractual obligations that are allegedly crippling growth. On the other hand, these players are now UFAs likely to go to the highest bidder. Do owners refrain from paying more than they should this time around, or is everyone still payed the same, just for a different team? How many low/mid level players would opt out of their 2M contract to pursue a higher pay elsewhere?

Do you think the owners would take the last offer from the players if the NHLPA agreed to accept the realignment plan that the league put forward a while back?

Do you think the owners would take the last offer from the players if the NHLPA agreed to accept the realignment plan that the league put forward a while back?

I doubt it. I think were talking about Apples and Oranges. The lock-out is about money. The re-aligment plan is about what happens after the money is divided.

Guest Kronstantinov

Are you seriously blaming Bettman for the size of goalie equipment? Wow. I guess global warming and 9-11 were his fault too.

Ive said it on here many times. I dont like the guy but the lockout isnt all his fault and neither is the size of the goalie equipment.

Watch hockey from the 80s.

What changed hockey from a game where people scored 60, 70 and 80 goals a year to a game where people scored 30 and 40 and 50 goals.

Take a look at Sergei Fedorov's career stats. Look at Yzerman's stats.

Look at stats from that era and notice the way they suddenly plummet around 1995 after Bettman instituted the 3/4 rule.

I think it's well known that the NHL allowed the game to change in ways that promoted parity. Immediately following expansion, they had the trap and clutch and grab nullify skilled teams, for example. It's also no secret that the NHL has allowed goalies to user bigger and bigger equipment. And that goalie equipment manufacturers aren't just marketing equipment as safe... they market it as large-- to help goalies save more pucks.

I like the "out of the box" thinking but the owners wouldnt go for it. They would still be paying the full contract and would end up paying even more up front. Think about the deals that Minnesota just signed and imagine the amount of the buyout. If I'm understanding you correctly.

The Wild's GM signed those essentially knowing that his owner was going to back a lockout and have their contracts groomed in the process of a new CBA. If you don't want to pay the guys big $$$ then don't sign 2 guys for 13 years a piece at 7.5 mil average cap hit. That's why Kovi and Ovechkin don't want to come back. They signed for their whole career with their clubs and now will have to give probably 2 mil back per year.....geez, that's fair lol.

Pretty sure the max player salary in the CFL is $1 mil....and that's a bushleague for the NFL. NHL has a much larger fanbase and can afford to pay their players more than that. I understand wanting ticket prices to go down, but if people want it to be a 50/50 deal comparable to the other major sports, then NHL players will all go to Europe if your idea even got a sniff.

Watch hockey from the 80s.

What changed hockey from a game where people scored 60, 70 and 80 goals a year to a game where people scored 30 and 40 and 50 goals.

Take a look at Sergei Fedorov's career stats. Look at Yzerman's stats.

Look at stats from that era and notice the way they suddenly plummet around 1995 after Bettman instituted the 3/4 rule.

I think it's well known that the NHL allowed the game to change in ways that promoted parity. Immediately following expansion, they had the trap and clutch and grab nullify skilled teams, for example. It's also no secret that the NHL has allowed goalies to user bigger and bigger equipment. And that goalie equipment manufacturers aren't just marketing equipment as safe... they market it as large-- to help goalies save more pucks.

i'm not denying that equipment has gotten bigger, but it had been getting bigger before Bettman arrived and dont forget that he was commish when they reduced the size a couple of years ago. Blaming Bettman for this is perhaps the silliest thing Ive read on here in a long time. I get that people hate him, I dont like him either, but cmon.