#1 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

Puck daddy just released article
http://sports.yahoo....09123--nhl.html

never did i think brooklyn would have a... hockey team.

Edited by evilzyme, 24 October 2012 - 10:03 AM.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#2 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,645 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

Posted Image
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#3 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,804 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

At 14,500 seats, the Barclays Center will have the lowest seating capacity of any stadium in the league. However, for the Islanders, that's not a problem, as the last year they averaged attendance over that mark was 2002-2003...

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#4 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

Strange that the Islanders would be moving off the island. Brooklyn is barely on their logo, if at all... Definitely a good money move. More people, more trains, means probably more revenue. The booming artsy fartsy scene over there can probably adopt them too.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#5 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

I'd rather Brooklyn get their baseball team back instead of a hockey team. In terms of logistics it makes sense; Brooklyn in the most populated borough, has train connections to Queens, Manhattan, and the Bronx AND bridge connection to Staten Island.....if more people can get to the games, more people will go to the games. Provided the product is good and the league is back to work by then.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#6 Jedi

Jedi

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,804 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

Strange that the Islanders would be moving off the island. Brooklyn is barely on their logo, if at all... Definitely a good money move. More people, more trains, means probably more revenue. The booming artsy fartsy scene over there can probably adopt them too.

Brooklyn's part of Long Island. The Islanders signed an agreement with the Rangers that allows them to play in the New York area, but they're restricted to Long Island (so, they couldn't move to The Bronx, or Manhattan, for instance). Of course, if they had moved to Kansas City, then it wouldn't matter.

snyoep.jpg

#7 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

Brooklyn's part of Long Island. The Islanders signed an agreement with the Rangers that allows them to play in the New York area, but they're restricted to Long Island (so, they couldn't move to The Bronx, or Manhattan, for instance). Of course, if they had moved to Kansas City, then it wouldn't matter.

Well that clears things up. Way better place to play on Long Island as far as revenue is concerned. Should have started out there in the first place.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#8 Jedi

Jedi

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,804 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

During the press conference, the Islanders confirmed that neither the team name (New York Islanders), nor their logo will change when they move.

And they better get nice and comfortable at the B.C. They'll be there for at least 25 years...

http://sports.yahoo....17366--nhl.html

snyoep.jpg

#9 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

as long as it helps them fill their seats im happy for them

#10 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,645 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

So that leaves Phoenix as still the team most likely to relocate to Quebec City.

Who else could be up for relocation? Florida?

Edited by GMRwings1983, 24 October 2012 - 02:21 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#11 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

During the press conference, the Islanders confirmed that neither the team name (New York Islanders), nor their logo will change when they move.

And they better get nice and comfortable at the B.C. They'll be there for at least 25 years...

http://sports.yahoo....17366--nhl.html

That is kind of dumb....they will share the arena with the BROOKLYN Nets, who weren't afraid to change their name (from New York Nets/New Jersey Nets, obviously) to reflect where they're playing. This stinks of Bettman...he's ushered in a status-quo era where changes that make business sense are rarely (and seemingly randomly?) done.

Edited by evilmrt, 24 October 2012 - 03:00 PM.

#12 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

as long as it helps them fill their seats im happy for them

Doubt it will help much. It's only like 25 miles from where they were.

I guess every little bit helps though.

#13 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

well they have some good potential players so hopefully ppl come around

#14 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

It would seem to me that 25 miles could make a huge difference considering the population density of New York.
Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#15 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

The Barclay's Center is only going to seat 14,500 for games. Smallest seating in the NHL. Kind of intimate and if I were Mr. Wang (It's a parking lot, what's with the pictures) I wouldn't plan on making a huge gate each home game

Detroit; Bringing class and honor back to the Eastern Conference since 2013

14361232487_e1fbf33701.jpg

#16 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

Uncle Gary did everything in his power to help keep them in Uniondale. He can't work miracles all the time.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#17 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

Smartest move by Wang since he fired Milbury.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#18 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

So weird.....

Edited by LeftWinger, 24 October 2012 - 08:34 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#19 Jedi

Jedi

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,804 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

The Barclay's Center is only going to seat 14,500 for games. Smallest seating in the NHL. Kind of intimate and if I were Mr. Wang (It's a parking lot, what's with the pictures) I wouldn't plan on making a huge gate each home game

The Puck Daddy piece I linked to earlier somewhat addressed that point...

While the team is still three years away from debuting, one of the concerns of hockey at the Barclays Center was the seating capacity for hockey. At the moment, Barclays seats approximately 14,500 for puck, but NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said today that Wang and Barclays minority owner and developer Bruce Ratner were working that issue and that it's "not an issue".

snyoep.jpg

#20 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

As a hockey fan, a Brooklyn-ite, and a goddamned Islanders fan. I couldn't be more pleased. Barclay's is a 10-minute walk from my house. Nassau Coliseum, despite all it's history, is a dump and is less than ideal to get to if you do not live out on the Isle and/or you don't own a car.
Hell, it's been easier, more pleasant experience, and I'll even go so far as to say SAFER* trip for me to get to Newark to see hockey than it is to go out to Long Island.

*Drunken suburbanites are far and away worse than any perceived urban dangers.

Well that clears things up. Way better place to play on Long Island as far as revenue is concerned. Should have started out there in the first place.

Brooklyn now is not Brooklyn of then. Hell, Brooklyn now isn't what it was when I moved here nine years ago.

well they have some good potential players so hopefully ppl come around

People love to s*** on this team, but they have some real offensive talent. Additionally, the new location could attract some better players (veterans or defensemen...PLEASE!!) to the team.

That is kind of dumb....they will share the arena with the BROOKLYN Nets, who weren't afraid to change their name (from New York Nets/New Jersey Nets, obviously) to reflect where they're playing. This stinks of Bettman...he's ushered in a status-quo era where changes that make business sense are rarely (and seemingly randomly?) done.

I'm not going to lose any sleep whether they're called the Brooklyn Islanders or the New York Islanders. It's not like the Rangers are the Manhattan Rangers or the New York City Rangers. They're the New York Rangers.
The Islanders, for history's sake, will thankfully remain the New York Islanders. It's not like they're moving from Winnipeg to Phoenix and taking 17 years (more including their WHA years ) of history to a different country and climate... they're moving 25 miles down the road.
If we want to split hairs... sports team naming and branding is a headscratcher: Tampa Bay is in Florida and the Panthers play in Sunrise. Where's the consistency?
How many NHL Teams play in California that aren't called the California ______.
The DETROIT Pistons play in AUBURN HILLS. (I think)

It would seem to me that 25 miles could make a huge difference considering the population density of New York.

Indeed. Amongst a multitude of other factors.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.