• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
evilzyme

Islanders to move to Brooklyn in 2015

Rate this topic

At 14,500 seats, the Barclays Center will have the lowest seating capacity of any stadium in the league. However, for the Islanders, that's not a problem, as the last year they averaged attendance over that mark was 2002-2003...

Strange that the Islanders would be moving off the island. Brooklyn is barely on their logo, if at all... Definitely a good money move. More people, more trains, means probably more revenue. The booming artsy fartsy scene over there can probably adopt them too.

I'd rather Brooklyn get their baseball team back instead of a hockey team. In terms of logistics it makes sense; Brooklyn in the most populated borough, has train connections to Queens, Manhattan, and the Bronx AND bridge connection to Staten Island.....if more people can get to the games, more people will go to the games. Provided the product is good and the league is back to work by then.

Strange that the Islanders would be moving off the island. Brooklyn is barely on their logo, if at all... Definitely a good money move. More people, more trains, means probably more revenue. The booming artsy fartsy scene over there can probably adopt them too.

Brooklyn's part of Long Island. The Islanders signed an agreement with the Rangers that allows them to play in the New York area, but they're restricted to Long Island (so, they couldn't move to The Bronx, or Manhattan, for instance). Of course, if they had moved to Kansas City, then it wouldn't matter.

Brooklyn's part of Long Island. The Islanders signed an agreement with the Rangers that allows them to play in the New York area, but they're restricted to Long Island (so, they couldn't move to The Bronx, or Manhattan, for instance). Of course, if they had moved to Kansas City, then it wouldn't matter.

Well that clears things up. Way better place to play on Long Island as far as revenue is concerned. Should have started out there in the first place.

During the press conference, the Islanders confirmed that neither the team name (New York Islanders), nor their logo will change when they move.

And they better get nice and comfortable at the B.C. They'll be there for at least 25 years...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/islanders-officially-announce-25-lease-barclays-center-name-181517366--nhl.html

During the press conference, the Islanders confirmed that neither the team name (New York Islanders), nor their logo will change when they move.

And they better get nice and comfortable at the B.C. They'll be there for at least 25 years...

http://sports.yahoo....17366--nhl.html

That is kind of dumb....they will share the arena with the BROOKLYN Nets, who weren't afraid to change their name (from New York Nets/New Jersey Nets, obviously) to reflect where they're playing. This stinks of Bettman...he's ushered in a status-quo era where changes that make business sense are rarely (and seemingly randomly?) done.

Edited by evilmrt

Guest RedWingsDad

Doubt it will help much. It's only like 25 miles from where they were.

I guess every little bit helps though.

It would seem to me that 25 miles could make a huge difference considering the population density of New York.

The Barclay's Center is only going to seat 14,500 for games. Smallest seating in the NHL. Kind of intimate and if I were Mr. Wang (It's a parking lot, what's with the pictures) I wouldn't plan on making a huge gate each home game

The Barclay's Center is only going to seat 14,500 for games. Smallest seating in the NHL. Kind of intimate and if I were Mr. Wang (It's a parking lot, what's with the pictures) I wouldn't plan on making a huge gate each home game

The Puck Daddy piece I linked to earlier somewhat addressed that point...

While the team is still three years away from debuting, one of the concerns of hockey at the Barclays Center was the seating capacity for hockey. At the moment, Barclays seats approximately 14,500 for puck, but NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said today that Wang and Barclays minority owner and developer Bruce Ratner were working that issue and that it's "not an issue".

As a hockey fan, a Brooklyn-ite, and a goddamned Islanders fan. I couldn't be more pleased. Barclay's is a 10-minute walk from my house. Nassau Coliseum, despite all it's history, is a dump and is less than ideal to get to if you do not live out on the Isle and/or you don't own a car.

Hell, it's been easier, more pleasant experience, and I'll even go so far as to say SAFER* trip for me to get to Newark to see hockey than it is to go out to Long Island.

*Drunken suburbanites are far and away worse than any perceived urban dangers.

Well that clears things up. Way better place to play on Long Island as far as revenue is concerned. Should have started out there in the first place.

Brooklyn now is not Brooklyn of then. Hell, Brooklyn now isn't what it was when I moved here nine years ago.

well they have some good potential players so hopefully ppl come around

People love to s*** on this team, but they have some real offensive talent. Additionally, the new location could attract some better players (veterans or defensemen...PLEASE!!) to the team.

That is kind of dumb....they will share the arena with the BROOKLYN Nets, who weren't afraid to change their name (from New York Nets/New Jersey Nets, obviously) to reflect where they're playing. This stinks of Bettman...he's ushered in a status-quo era where changes that make business sense are rarely (and seemingly randomly?) done.

I'm not going to lose any sleep whether they're called the Brooklyn Islanders or the New York Islanders. It's not like the Rangers are the Manhattan Rangers or the New York City Rangers. They're the New York Rangers.

The Islanders, for history's sake, will thankfully remain the New York Islanders. It's not like they're moving from Winnipeg to Phoenix and taking 17 years (more including their WHA years ) of history to a different country and climate... they're moving 25 miles down the road.

If we want to split hairs... sports team naming and branding is a headscratcher: Tampa Bay is in Florida and the Panthers play in Sunrise. Where's the consistency?

How many NHL Teams play in California that aren't called the California ______.

The DETROIT Pistons play in AUBURN HILLS. (I think)

It would seem to me that 25 miles could make a huge difference considering the population density of New York.

Indeed. Amongst a multitude of other factors.

I think the Islanders biggest problem has never been the arena, their biggest disadvantage is called Wang. Unless they are getting rid off that headache nothing will change which is really sad, because the fans deserve a better on ice winning product.

Might be wrong but I highly doubt places like Brooklyn are a good location for hockey teams.

I'd rather Brooklyn get their baseball team back instead of a hockey team. In terms of logistics it makes sense; Brooklyn in the most populated borough, has train connections to Queens, Manhattan, and the Bronx AND bridge connection to Staten Island.....if more people can get to the games, more people will go to the games. Provided the product is good and the league is back to work by then.

I was going to ask, "What about the Dodgers?" but then I went to wikipedia and looked it up. I'm really out of the loop. They moved to LA.

From what I've heard of where the Islanders have been playing, they need a place that people can get to conveniently with good businesses around it that cater to pre- and post-game needs.

If Brooklyn has that, then this is a good move.

I was going to ask, "What about the Dodgers?" but then I went to wikipedia and looked it up. I'm really out of the loop. They moved to LA.

It's how they got the franchise that makes it interesting: Chavez Ravine.

Brooklyn lost the Dodgers and now have the Islanders.

Sometimes, life really isn't fair.

Why should they change their name? They are called the New York Islanders, not the Long Islanders. If you look at a map, Brooklyn is part of the island. Then you've got the logo, much like the Wings, that is easily recognizable and unchanged. (except for that brief stint in the mid-90s) It wouldn't any make sense to change the name.

Yea I was going to say that, Brooklyn and where the Islanders play now, are both on Long Island.

I think moving to Brooklyn will be good for the team, because it'll bring a Brooklyn vs. Manhattan rivarly thing into it. Also, I think they should drop New York, and call themselves the Brooklyn Islanders.

Yea that's really out of the loop, the Dodgers moved to LA in 1958!