56 replies to this topic

#41 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

Edit - thanks for the answer!

Edited by F.Michael, 30 October 2012 - 04:17 PM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#42 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

How has no one sunk their teeth into this gem yet?? This may be grounds enough for an off-season photoshop war.

http://l.yimg.com/bt...s/149197523.jpg

Edited by Seraph, 30 October 2012 - 04:47 PM.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#43 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,574 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

Mad much brah?

Anyhow, sure would've like to have Suter, but we will be fine with Kronner stepping up to a leadership role and getting 60-70 points, Smith is gonna become a stud and be better than Suter in the long run and there always getting ahold of Dekeyser (whom a ton of GM's want) and then in a few years Mike McKee. This is going to be one of the toughest defense's to play against in about 4-5 years and Suter will still be looking for a Cup and help on D because after him the talent fall way down to our #6/#7 depth... Poor Ryan...

Don't Be Jealous Because I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#44 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,551 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

To be fair, we don't know what went on behind closed doors. There could have been 6 teams against the lockout, but that's clearly not enough to stop it. So at that point, as an owner, you'd probably vote in favor of the lockout in order to maintain relationships with the other owners that are essential to trades and business deals. It happens in politics all the time, if your vote won't matter, cast it with the majority.

So what you're saying is that at the end of the day it was more important for Mike Illitch to have a good working relationship with other owners than it was to make the fans happy, the players happy, and uphold the integrity of the game and league we all love? I agree.

Edited by kipwinger, 30 October 2012 - 10:22 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#45 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

So what you're saying is that at the end of the day it was more important for Mike Illitch to have a good working relationship with other owners than it was to make the fans happy, the players happy, and uphold the integrity of the game and league we all love? I agree.

What does that mean? If you're going to lose anyway, why wouldn't you try to preserve a good relationship with the other teams? You don't think the owners know how the vote is going to turn out before they have it. If Illitch found 2 or 3 other folks on his side, and the other 26 owners were all in favor, it doesn't make sense to shoot yourself in the foot going forward to no purpose.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#46 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,551 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

What does that mean? If you're going to lose anyway, why wouldn't you try to preserve a good relationship with the other teams? You don't think the owners know how the vote is going to turn out before they have it. If Illitch found 2 or 3 other folks on his side, and the other 26 owners were all in favor, it doesn't make sense to shoot yourself in the foot going forward to no purpose.

What it means is that at the end of the day, all the owners (including Illitch) felt like either 1) locking out, or 2) preserving their business relationships over the relationships they have with the players, fans, etc. If Mr. Illitch, or any other owner, was against the lockout and his first priority was to his players, organization, or fans, he would have gone on record by voting against this absurd lockout. He didn't. None did. So arguing back and forth about which (if any) owners are actually against the lockout is ludicrous.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#47 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:08 PM

suter's rant is a very good indication that a few players understand what NHL is actually proposing. and also, which is much more important, this is an indication that union and its leaders have never been interested in educating its members.

#48 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

You obviously have no clue how the PA works. Players have stated times and times again, how good of a job Fehr has done to provide them with information.

Anyway Suter is easily better than all our defenders, the guy i s elite Kronner is a great second pairing guy so is White but we don't have a solid nr 1 pairing sadly.

Suter would have been a great addition

Sent from my BlackBerry

Edited by frankgrimes, 01 November 2012 - 01:16 AM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#49 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

All membership, no matter if it's in professional sports or not, have to be proactive when it comes to any and all matters dealing with their career. If their not, they're only hurting themselves.
Q: How much was Neil Sheehy's "cut" on this deal?
A: A lot.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#50 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

i don't think either side is being proactive right now

#51 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

You obviously have no clue how the PA works. Players have stated times and times again, how good of a job Fehr has done to provide them with information.

:lol: Sure, I have no clue.

But still, I can read. I read what Suter had to say, and I read what NHL had to propose.
I compare. Than I read you saying how good of job Ferh has done, and I laugh :lol:

And I say, players are being way too politically correct towards PA leaders...

#52 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:37 AM

Did you actually hear that from a credible source or just as baseless fan talk on hockey forums, like the rest of us have? I doubt Illitch is against the lockout, he is a business man, and the lockout is to get the owners more money. Plus, the longer the lockout goes on, the greater the chance that the bottom feeding welfare teams will go under, and owners like Illitch will get to stop spending their money to support them.

This is just my humble opinion but I wouldn't be surprised if Illitch is against this lockout. From how frail the guy looked during the Tigers celebration Id be surprised if he really is in on the lockout much. More than likely he has advisors in there for the day to day and he is only around for important votes. Plus the guy unfortunately cant have to many years left in him. A lost season really cuts into the chances of another Cup in his lifetime. And with his spendings on the Tigers I dont see him "bleeding money" as other owners are.

#53 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

Semin-Datsyuk-Parise
Brunner-Zetterberg-Franzen
Doan-Filppula-Nyquist
Abdelkader-Helm-Cleary

Suter-Yandle
Carle-Kronwall
White-Smith

Howard
Gustavsson

Get it done, Kenny.

#54 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

Semin-Datsyuk-Parise
Doan-Filppula-Nyquist
Abdelkader-Helm-Cleary

Suter-Yandle
Carle-Kronwall
White-Smith

Howard
Gustavsson

Get it done, Kenny.

I wish.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#55 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

It would take only 7 votes to appear unanimous if they voted on it and it woudn't surprise me if they did.

#56 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

Semin-Datsyuk-Parise
Doan-Filppula-Nyquist
Abdelkader-Helm-Cleary

Suter-Yandle
Carle-Kronwall
White-Smith

Howard
Gustavsson

Get it done, Kenny.

Such a realist!
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#57 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

Although I tend to lean towards the side of the players, Suter is mad because he was outgreeded by the owners. He went for the once in a lifetime outrageous payday and now he has learned a painful lesson in corporate economics. If it sounds too good to be true, it most likely is. The Wild ownership among others knew that if they got their way with the CBA that they wouldn't have to honor these stupid contracts all the way. Nobody to root for regarding these contracts.