Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Can the NHL Please Cancel the Winter Classic?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 WingsFan19

WingsFan19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

Take a read and let me know how many of you share my opinion on this years winter classic.

http://thehockeywrit...winter-classic/

#2 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

If the Winter Classic does get cancelled, the league will reportedly be looking at a loss upwards of $15 million.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#3 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

I certainly hope they cancel it at this stage. My interest in NHL hockey has went from rabid to non-interest in a few short months. I could really care less at this point if the league impodes. By cancelling the Winter Classic, the league will be returning back to the lockout levels of business in 2005. The fans are tired of being crapped on.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#4 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

Are you saying you want it cancelled because you don't want it seen as being a bargaining chip? Makes no sense to me....I don't want to see it cancelled at all, because if it isn't, that means there is a chance to get games going this year.

I think many people see that game as a big thing that no one wants to lose. Perhaps, but I don't think it's as big of a deal as many think it is. Maybe the exposure is what you don't want to lose, but in terms of revenue, I don't think it really generates that much for anyone to be too worried about. I see above a quoate of $15M. If that is true....consider that cancelling the pre-season games lost about $150M.

#5 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

Are you saying you want it cancelled because you don't want it seen as being a bargaining chip? Makes no sense to me....I don't want to see it cancelled at all, because if it isn't, that means there is a chance to get games going this year.

I think many people see that game as a big thing that no one wants to lose. Perhaps, but I don't think it's as big of a deal as many think it is. Maybe the exposure is what you don't want to lose, but in terms of revenue, I don't think it really generates that much for anyone to be too worried about. I see above a quoate of $15M. If that is true....consider that cancelling the pre-season games lost about $150M.

I think that if the Winter Classic is cancelled, the season will be also.

#6 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

I think that if the Winter Classic is cancelled, the season will be also.

Based on what? That may be true, but the there is no correlation between the two. The Winter Classic may be cancelled simply because non-refundable deposits are coming due and the NHL is not going to want to make those payments if they aren't guaranteed of playing. There is plenty of time to still get a 60-70 game season in. As time goes by, the chances of games dwindles obviously.

#7 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

Based on what? That may be true, but the there is no correlation between the two. The Winter Classic may be cancelled simply because non-refundable deposits are coming due and the NHL is not going to want to make those payments if they aren't guaranteed of playing. There is plenty of time to still get a 60-70 game season in. As time goes by, the chances of games dwindles obviously.

I agree with your line of thinking, but I also agree with what Johnz96 says. If I was a betting man, I would say that if the Winter Classic gets canned, the safe bet is to say that the season will be canceled. At the same time, we don't know for sure. Its just educated guessing. Depends on if you are a glass half full or half empty kind of guy. I am normally a glass half full guy, but this lockout is making me more and more pessimistic.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#8 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

the regular season wasn't cancelled until February 16th back in 04-05. we still have a long ways to go before then.

#9 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

While having any games this year would be surprising, the WC was the marquee event of my year. I was more than likely ditching my attendance to the Dallas games for the WC, but as things would have it, we're getting screwed out of the game we've all been waiting for.

Still waiting for that announcement to be posted....

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#10 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

They will cancel the season but keep winter classic, winner of that wins cup? :lol:
hadthomasvokounonfortst.jpg
Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#11 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

Remember, in Bettmanland , "cancelled" actually means "postponed".

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#12 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

i just want to see all of the old wings players again, it would be a shame if the winter classic was cancelled

#13 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

They will cancel the season but keep winter classic, winner of that wins cup? :lol:

One thing is for sure....

That is the closest the Maple Leafs will come to the Stanley Cup this year. :D

Remember, in Bettmanland , "cancelled" actually means "postponed".

Yup....

Because there is rumor they will just delay the game until the following year. All tickets will be accepted then. May as well let the NHL have a interest free period with millions to line the coffers for another year. :)
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#14 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

Because there is rumor they will just delay the game until the following year. All tickets will be accepted then. May as well let the NHL have a interest free period with millions to line the coffers for another year. :)

That's what has me boiling.

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#15 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

That's what has me boiling.

Imagine how Blackhawk season ticket holders are feeling now.

I have a friend who's sister is a Hawks season ticket holder. They get 4 tickets to every game. The Blackhawks took their regular deposit of half due when the due date hit, keep in mind they were still thinking they were going to be locked out. Now, they are getting checks every two weeks or so for every game missed. So it was like they gave the Hawks a 1/2 year interest free loan they pay off every week. Disgusting!
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#16 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Honestly, I could care less how Hawks' fans feel. They got their WC. Plus, this is all about me. :bye:

#17 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

One thing is for sure....

That is the closest the Maple Leafs will come to the Stanley Cup this year. :D

Yup....

Demand a refund

#18 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

I agree with your line of thinking, but I also agree with what Johnz96 says. If I was a betting man, I would say that if the Winter Classic gets canned, the safe bet is to say that the season will be canceled. At the same time, we don't know for sure. Its just educated guessing. Depends on if you are a glass half full or half empty kind of guy. I am normally a glass half full guy, but this lockout is making me more and more pessimistic.

I am a glass is half full type of guy as well as anyone can tell about my posts about the Wings but believe the glass is empty as long as Bettman is running the show.

#19 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

Demand a refund

This is what you will hear when you call to demand the refund.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-ZpHr5l0U0

Yea, you can demand a refund, but they probably won't give it to you. I certainly am glad I did not buy tickets to this event. They were overpriced anyway, and now with the lockout, the NHL and NHLPA can go jump off a very tall building.

Edited by Nightfall, 01 November 2012 - 04:04 PM.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#20 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,922 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

The Winter Classic would be the perfect way for the fans to protest.

This lockout isn't owners vs. players, it's between the owners, players, and fans vs. Bettman's self inflated ego. Gary Bettman's decision to have a lockout now will go down as the worst decision made in professional sports, and Bettman will go down as the worst commissioner in the history of sports. The NHL isn't going to recover.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons