Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Can the NHL Please Cancel the Winter Classic?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

So the business day is pretty much over, we have not heard an announcement yet. What do you make of that?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#22 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

i just want to see all of the old wings players again, it would be a shame if the winter classic was cancelled

This. I was so stoked to see Feds in the winged wheel again.

I suspect we'll get the announcement tomorrow. If not, maybe something's in the works? /optimism

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#23 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

So the business day is pretty much over, we have not heard an announcement yet. What do you make of that?

Based on previous deadlines, my guess is by midnight tonight. Such a sad time to be a hockey FAN :angry:

#24 juiceman

juiceman

Prospect

• 30 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

Nothing. Supposedly the NHL will be making the announcement tomorrow now.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=408543

I know that the rumor was that it was going to be cancelled on Monday, October 29th, then it was changed to Nov. 1st. However, November 2nd is when the NHL has to make a non-refundable payment of $250,000 to the University of Michigan. When the contract was first signed back in February, the NHL paid the university $100,000, which is all they would be out if the game was cancelled anytime up to November 2nd. After November 2nd, the league is responsible to make the payment on November 2nd, $1,000,000 on December 7th, and another $1,000,000 on December 28th. Plus the league would also be responsible for any documented out-of-pocket incurred by the university after November 2nd.

http://espn.go.com/b...ontract-details

Copy of the contract between the NHL and the University of Michigan:

http://www.annarbor....L AGREEMENT.pdf

So, unless the NHL feels that there is enough progress being made between the NHL and NHLPA to risk not cancelling the event, plus all of the events at Comerica Park, it is pretty much guaranteed that the Winter Classic will be cancelled on November 2nd.

#25 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

This blows. It's entirely avoidable. If everyone could check their ego's at the door, we could have a WC and a season. It's beyond ridiculous
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#26 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

I know that the rumor was that it was going to be cancelled on Monday, October 29th, then it was changed to Nov. 1st. However, November 2nd is when the NHL has to make a non-refundable payment of $250,000 to the University of Michigan.

That's why I was curious. I was hoping it was that if they didn't cancel by today they have to pay tomorrow, i.e., they can't cancel tomorrow without a forfeiture of funds. If they are willing to shell out $250K for it, then they might not have plans to cancel it.

What's sad about it is I can honestly *almost* say I don't care anymore.

Edited by rrasco, 01 November 2012 - 07:58 PM.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#27 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

All I know is that if they cancel the WC, they need to keep the teams for the next season. I'd hate to see the Wings and Leafs get screwed out of this.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#28 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

All I know is that if they cancel the WC, they need to keep the teams for the next season. I'd hate to see the Wings and Leafs get screwed out of this.

Agreed but it is really so funny, how some people think that the players could use the WC as a leverage chip *lol*. The NHL itself will lose a lot of revenue and a lot of future casual fans so they are only shooting themselves in the foot.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..