• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
goon19

Swiss League Topscorer Damien Brunner

Rate this topic

I have read a lot of charming articles about Damien Brunner the last weeks in european hockey news. Right now he is topscorer in the swiss NLA again. Leading the list by far in front of players like Logan Couture, Tyler Seguin, Rick Nash, Patrice Bergeron and others. He is playing in a line with Henrik Z. right now. Hope to see him in a NHL Game this year, but maybe this is not gonna be happen sadly.

I thougt maybe this could be interesting for some of us.

Right here the topscorer link with some other NHLers too...

http://sport.ch.sportalsports.com/sportch/eishockey/nla/topscorer.html

greetings from germany

In all honesty though, i'm really happy to see him and Z making something of their line. He has the potential to be our go to man when we need a shooter, and he drives the center of the ice. If you watch nearly any of his replays, the boy cuts into the middle and goes straight for the slot to release a shot on net. I love it, and quite frankly any Wing fan should love it. It's what we're missing currently, inwhich that's someone who is willing to drive to the net. Unfortunately, we're unable to see if this translates into the North American game where physicality is much more prominent. I would've loved for him to be spending this time in Grand Rapids to actually develop a sense of space when dealing with smaller ice sizes. I truly believe he'll make a impact in our game though, and certainly be someone to makes some noise. He's got a great mentor by his side, and the chemistry will already be built by the time this gonger is over with.

Guest The Axe

In all honesty though, i'm really happy to see him and Z making something of their line. He has the potential to be our go to man when we need a shooter, and he drives the center of the ice. If you watch nearly any of his replays, the boy cuts into the middle and goes straight for the slot to release a shot on net. I love it, and quite frankly any Wing fan should love it. It's what we're missing currently, inwhich that's someone who is willing to drive to the net. Unfortunately, we're unable to see if this translates into the North American game where physicality is much more prominent. I would've loved for him to be spending this time in Grand Rapids to actually develop a sense of space when dealing with smaller ice sizes. I truly believe he'll make a impact in our game though, and certainly be someone to makes some noise. He's got a great mentor by his side, and the chemistry will already be built by the time this gonger is over with.

I hope you are right, yo.

seeing that chemistry is working, would anyone make a move to get omark here?

what would it take(trade wise)?

Omark has all the skill in the world, but when he played for Edmonton he reminded me of Ville Leino. Lots of talent, but coasts way too much, and is the beneficiary of the hard work of his linemates. Which is why Edmonton kept demoting him in the first place. No thanks.

Omark has all the skill in the world, but when he played for Edmonton he reminded me of Ville Leino. Lots of talent, but coasts way too much, and is the beneficiary of the hard work of his linemates. Which is why Edmonton kept demoting him in the first place. No thanks.

some players thrive in different systems and with a different environment. This is to include whom they are surrounded with in the locker room. Similar to Leino, he thrived with Philly, unlike he did here. Some players just need that change of environment in their life. It's wrong to write someone off like this, especially when visible chemistry is shown. Maybe he enjoys playing along side Z and B? Maybe he has more confidence with them? Maybe he likes who they are off the ice and they connect better?

some players thrive in different systems and with a different environment. This is to include whom they are surrounded with in the locker room. Similar to Leino, he thrived with Philly, unlike he did here. Some players just need that change of environment in their life. It's wrong to write someone off like this, especially when visible chemistry is shown. Maybe he enjoys playing along side Z and B? Maybe he has more confidence with them? Maybe he likes who they are off the ice and they connect better?

Or maybe they (Zetterberg and Brunner) are both really good and he's a floater who's benefiting from their hard work, it's not like Red Wings fans shouldn't be familiar with that scenario. We've already got enough question marks on this team, let someone else rehabilitate Linus Omark,

Edited by kipwinger

Or maybe they (Zetterberg and Brunner) are both really good and he's a floater who's benefiting from their hard work, it's not like Red Wings fans shouldn't be familiar with that scenario. We've already got enough question marks on this team, let someone else rehabilitate Linus Omark,

Listen, we all know Franzen's work ethic. Like I said though, you say he's a floating whoms just benefiting but what case can you present that it's exactly that. Show me some videos of him just floating with Z and B, and just cashing in. I don't agree with that statement at all. Both of us can argue all day about it. You can say it's not worth it, another person will say he'll be worth it. We can run this as Semin v2.0. I'll just agree to disagree.

Here's a question: If the NHL season is lost, does Brunner become a UFA for the 2013/14 season? I could see the list of teams interested in him growing if this is the case. Sucky.

I believe we'll re-sign him before his contract is up. I know it's messy due to the CBA and nothing can be signed currently but come the day of agreement, if it's late, I see them re-signing right away and Brunner staying with the organization. I doubt he would just cash in and cheat the franchise like that. He wanted to come to GRR, they denied him. Now he gets to play alongside with one of our best top 6 players, and possibly (more than likely) captain. After developing that chemistry and friendship with his linemate, I doubt he'll just want to go run off to another franchise. He'll atleast give Detroit a shot, atleast I hope... :scared:

Omark is still only 26 so no one should be opposed to the Wings adding a young player as long as its for a reasonable amount of money or a fair trade.

Plzzzzz say no to Omark. There's a reason Edmonton, yes EDMONTON, demoted him. He brings nothing to the table. Shows a flash of brilliance then skates around picking his nose for 20 straight games.

Omark is doing well because of Diaz, Brunner, and Z, not the opposite.

Plzzzzz say no to Omark. There's a reason Edmonton, yes EDMONTON, demoted him. He brings nothing to the table. Shows a flash of brilliance then skates around picking his nose for 20 straight games.

Or maybe Edmonton simply have too much depth at Forward to give him the ice time he needs. If we dont give up much to get him whats the harm?

Or maybe Edmonton simply have too much depth at Forward to give him the ice time he needs. If we dont give up much to get him whats the harm?

It justs seems redundant. I don't see anything that Omark brings to the table that Nyquist doesn't, and we've already got Nyquist. Roster spots are limited, even in GR, and I'd rather see that spot go to someone who brings something to the table that we're missing, not another skilled euro, of which we've got a ton.

It justs seems redundant. I don't see anything that Omark brings to the table that Nyquist doesn't, and we've already got Nyquist. Roster spots are limited, even in GR, and I'd rather see that spot go to someone who brings something to the table that we're missing, not another skilled euro, of which we've got a ton.

It never hurts to have an over-abundance of skill. You can always make trades to get players with the other skillsets you need. Omark doesnt turn 26 until February and averaged more than a point per game in the AHL.

because having a good amount of depth in forwards is a bad thing. i'm pretty sure we could always use some forward depth every season when we get nailed with the injury bug and it destroys it. maybe that lack of scoring? i'm pretty sure i've never met a coach that never wanted to bring more skill to the table. do we need defense? absolutely but this isn't concerning the defense in this current topic. I would easily throw prospects (skilled potential) at EDM to bring a skilled forward that has chemistry with two of our current teammates. you act like we want to trade franzen for omark.

because having a good amount of depth in forwards is a bad thing. i'm pretty sure we could always use some forward depth every season when we get nailed with the injury bug and it destroys it. maybe that lack of scoring? i'm pretty sure i've never met a coach that never wanted to bring more skill to the table. do we need defense? absolutely but this isn't concerning the defense in this current topic. I would easily throw prospects (skilled potential) at EDM to bring a skilled forward that has chemistry with two of our current teammates. you act like we want to trade franzen for omark.

Have you seen our depth at forward? We have too many forwards, most of which are skill players as well.

Everyone complains about Hudler all year, then everyone complains about floating Franzen after that, and now you want to bring in a guy that is a combination of the two? I think the lockout has everyone going off their rockers lol.

Edmonton in no way had good depth at forward when they demoted him.

I believe we'll re-sign him before his contract is up. I know it's messy due to the CBA and nothing can be signed currently but come the day of agreement, if it's late, I see them re-signing right away and Brunner staying with the organization. I doubt he would just cash in and cheat the franchise like that. He wanted to come to GRR, they denied him. Now he gets to play alongside with one of our best top 6 players, and possibly (more than likely) captain. After developing that chemistry and friendship with his linemate, I doubt he'll just want to go run off to another franchise. He'll atleast give Detroit a shot, atleast I hope... :scared:

He stayed at Z's house when he was in Det too.

A number of NHL teams showed interest in the 26-year-old Brunner over the summer after he was named Swiss league MVP last season. Highly skilled and lightning fast—"He ends up getting a lot of breakaways," said Shedden—he signed with the Red Wings on July 1 and stayed at Zetterberg's house when he visited Detroit.

http://www.thehockey...HL-lockout.html

I'd totally agree with this statement if Omark were a known commodity. The problem here is that you're aren't bringing in depth, you're taking a chance on a reclamation project when the spot that you're giving him could go to...bringing in more depth. If it were a situation in which we were pondering signing a guy with (hypothetically) Patrick Eaves or Drew Miller's resume I'd be all for it. But Omark, for all his skill, can't even boast that, so if we're interested in bringing in more depth then we should look for guys that give us that, rather than take a chance on a guy who's already washed out of the NHL.

Guest RedWingsDad

Everyone complains about Hudler all year, then everyone complains about floating Franzen after that, and now you want to bring in a guy that is a combination of the two? I think the lockout has everyone going off their rockers lol.

All work, no hockey, makes RedWingsDad go something, something....

I'd totally agree with this statement if Omark were a known commodity. The problem here is that you're aren't bringing in depth, you're taking a chance on a reclamation project when the spot that you're giving him could go to...bringing in more depth. If it were a situation in which we were pondering signing a guy with (hypothetically) Patrick Eaves or Drew Miller's resume I'd be all for it. But Omark, for all his skill, can't even boast that, so if we're interested in bringing in more depth then we should look for guys that give us that, rather than take a chance on a guy who's already washed out of the NHL.

Reclamation? He's more of prospect than anything. Promising but unproven.

He's 25 and has played two partial seasons, scored 27 points in 51 games in the first. Didn't get much of a chance the second, poor start plus Edmonton adding RNH and Smyth, better to let him continue to develop in the minors rather than fight for a 4th line spot. Breaking his ankle in the minors didn't help.

Not that we should necessarily try to get him (btw, he doesn't have a contract atm, I assume still RFA. Not listed on Edmonton's roster or non-roster on Capgeek.) but considering his contract status and the addition of Yakupov, it might be worth looking in to. Be worth a late round pick to add him to our pipeline, and he'd probably clear waivers or we could leave him in Europe for the year.

Haha. Nah, Omark only "coasts" in tie games because if, heaven forbid, he should score the go-ahead goal that would mean he wouldn't get to do his super-awesome shootout moves, you guys!

As for Brunner, look, I'm thrilled that he's back with Zug and tearing it up. But let's keep the following in mind:

(1) He's been with Zug for 5 years now, so it's not surprising that he's productive the Swiss "A" league. The question is whether his game will translate to an NHL style of play, smaller rinks, etc.

(2) Zetterberg and Omark are new additions to that team, and Zetterberg is obviously the type of player who is willing to pass and make his linemates better. It's great that they're developing "chemistry", but the increased quality of teammates (in an overall mediocre-talent league) probably has more to do with the numbers than Brunner himself.

(3) One of Brunner's best seasons with Zug was 2009-10, in which he 23 G and 35 A. But there was another player on his team who was better. This player had 30 G and 33 A, and was a former 1st round draft pick of the Vancouver Canucks. That player was Josh Holden, a guy who turned out to be, at best, a fringe 4th liner/AHL'er after several cups of tea in the NHL. That doesn't mean Brunner is automatically garbage, but when I hear "star player in (insert Euro league here)", it means about as much to me as when Mickey used to celebrate every Red Wings 4th liner with "He scored 50 goals in junior one year!"

Edited by StormJH1