• This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

#61 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

As a Canadian, f*** the NHL and the US currency.

Paid:
OEI JLA BOX OFFICE 313-396-7575, MI 708.00 USD @ 1.022768
$724.12

Received:
OEI JLA BOX OFFICE 313-396-7575, MI -708.00 USD @ .970127
$686.85

Conspiracy = winter classic speculation!!

#62 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

I guess I don't understand conversion rates very well, because that confuses me. I understand there should be two values, that of the US dollar and that of the CAD dollar. However, why are there three numbers?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#63 Jedi

Jedi

Christmastime is buzzing in my skull...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,827 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

I guess I don't understand conversion rates very well, because that confuses me. I understand there should be two values, that of the US dollar and that of the CAD dollar. However, why are there three numbers?

At the time Danielsm paid for the tickets, the exchange rate for Canadian-to-US dollars was 1.022768, meaning that $1USD = $1.02CDN. So for the $708 US price, he actually paid $724.12 from his pocket. At the time of the refund, the exchange rate for Canadian-to-US dollars was 0.970127, meaning that $1 USD = $0.97CDN. So for the $708 US refund, he only received $686.85 back.

Because the Wings/JLA Box Office can only trade in US Dollars, they could only refund the original $708.00 USD they received, regardless of the currency exchange rate. Through no fault of his own, Danielsm got screwed out of $37.27, or the cost of one beer at the now-cancelled Winter Classic.

$708.00 US x 1.022768 = $724.12 Canadian - Amount Paid
$708.00 US x 0.970127 = $686.85 Canadian - Amount Refunded

"And the best, I must confess, I have saved for the last, for the ruler of this Christmas land,

is a fearsome king with a deep mighty voice, least, that's what I've come to understand.

And I've also heard it told, that he's something to behold, like a lobster, huge and red!

When he sets out to slay with his rain gear on, carting bulging sacks with his big great arms, that is so I've heard it said.

And on a dark cold night, under full moon light, he flies into a fog like a vulture in the sky!

And they call him Sandy Claws!

#64 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up, I had not realized one was a refund. That is unfortunate. I also didn't realize the US dollar was worth more than the CAD right now.

#65 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,143 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up, I had not realized one was a refund. That is unfortunate. I also didn't realize the US dollar was worth more than the CAD right now.

It is always up and down, honestly it is luck of the draw, one day it might be worth .97 and the next day it is worth 1.02.

#66 PROBIE4PREZ

PROBIE4PREZ

In Holland I trust.

• PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

What happens if the NHL REGULAR season starts around Dec. 20th? I keep hearing allot of positive things from tonight's meeting. Could the NHL put the Winter Classic back in motion? Or is the prepping for a event like that take more than 26 days? lol.

Edited by PROBIE4PREZ, 05 December 2012 - 11:09 PM.

"I mean, the best thing for my knee, for anyone's knee, is to never play again and retire. But I'm not going to do that." o-captain my captain

#67 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

It won't happen. Half the people got their refunds. People cancelled travel/lodging plans. They won't try to rush it. Nobody would show up.

#68 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,143 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

It won't happen. Half the people got their refunds. People cancelled travel/lodging plans. They won't try to rush it. Nobody would show up.

Plus at this point it would be stupid to have it. The ratings would be awful, the attendance poor, The NHL would lose more money on it than what would be invested in it.

#69 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:36 AM

01 Jan 2013. One big fat :(

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#70 shoe

shoe

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

Nice day for a hockey game outside eh, remember the weather today and lets see what we get next year in return

#71 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,343 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

Can't wait for the game today! 

.....oh. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#72 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Babcock better replace Samuelsson with Smith at the point.

bringit.jpg

#73 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

What a great hockeygame this will be, so glad to see the perfect human one more time outthere. I am sure the arena is already packed with fans and decked in red and blue white!

Thanks to the supreme NHL for making that possible, you really care about the fans.........

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#74 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

I'm pretty ticked that I should be in Michigan right now.

#75 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,343 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:26 AM

Oh well, I'll be at the Big House for hockey in 364 more days...supposedly...   :glare:

Edited by Hockeytown0001, 02 January 2013 - 03:26 AM.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#76 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

The title of this thread doesn't describe what's going on now, so let's continue the conversation in another thread.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011